• Status
    Not open for further replies.

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    I recently made a deal with someone on a gun. We sent messages and finally talked on the phone and sealed the deal with conversation. We agreed on a meeting place and time. Everything is good then I get a message thats says he found a better deal and hates to back out after we had a deal. That doesnt set well with me. I have always said that a man is only is good as his word. Am I old fashioned to think this way? If I am. Im staying that way. If I say we have a deal...we have a deal, no matter what comes up.

Ever had someone do you like this?

I hate leaving negative feedback on anyone but jeeeeez.
    Do I have a right to be pissed?

Thoughts, opinions, comments???

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I would say if a price was set and a meeting place set, and both agreed upon, the deal was done and I would be pissed too.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    it has happened to me before and i was pissed espically since the guy called me when i had already left for our meeting i wouldn't have been so mad if he had told me before i left but what could i do

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if you look in the priviate sales section 99% of deals on here go well so i think we are lucky to have a pretty honest group of people here sure we have some people who stick it to someone but usually those folks are here one day gone the next (i know ive only been here since oct) but bottom line is we have a pretty honest group here

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I would say if a price was set and a meeting place set, and both agreed upon, the deal was done and I would be pissed too.

If you are buying and selling like a business you have to expect people to shop around and treat you like a business.

If you had to buy a product and the person backed out of the deal and you were hurt financially then they are wrong.

I have backed out on two deals in 20 years, sadley they were both on this forum.

1 - found out that the gun was recently purchased new for almost half the price and I could buy the same gun new from the gun store in Indy, we had had some loose plans as to where to meet but we hadn't finalized them. In this case I offered to pay 50.00 for the sellers inconvenience but they said that is wasn't necessary.

2 - I had tried to pick the gun up twice, the first time I got within 4 houses of the person (didn't know that at the time) and I couldn't get a hold of them on the phone so I drove back home 30 miles, the second time his wife told me that he didn't let people pick up guns during the day so that ment it would be another week before I could come and pick up the gun. In the mean time I found out that another member wanted the gun so I contacted the seller and told them that they could let the other guy have it.

In the 2nd case I told the seller that if they didn't come and pick up the gun that I would because I keep my word and I wasn'r going to leave him holding the bag, as far as I know the other member picked up the gun. I don't think there are any hard felling and I would buy from the seller again, really a nice guy.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    people should have there shopping around done before they commit to a deal in my mind. atleast on my end if i say ill take it its a done deal even if i do find a better deal

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    people should have there shopping around done before they commit to a deal in my mind. atleast on my end if i say ill take it its a done deal even if i do find a better deal

I used to feel that way but with the internet I think that things have changed some.

If the person had said that they would do the deal but at the lower price would you have agreed?

Were you trying to re sale something that you had bought for a low price to make a profit? Nothing wrong with doing that but if you are you are a business and you need to be sure to pay taxes on the profit.

What if you agreed to sale a gun that you thought was worth 200.00 and before the person had left to come pick it up you found out that it was worth 500.00, whould you still sale it for 200.00?

If you buy and sale enough deals are going to fall through thats just the way it is, at least they let you know so that you ouldn relist it instead of ignoring your calls, emails and PMs.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Were you trying to re sale something that you had bought for a low price to make a profit? Nothing wrong with doing that but if you are you are a business and you need to be sure to pay taxes on the profit.

If that were the case, I'd hope he has an FFL ;)

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    If that were the case, I'd hope he has an FFL ;)

Me too.

The INDR thinks that I owe them 95,000.00 in unpaid sales tax, they are wrong and my lawyer is getting the paper work together to show that we don't but let me tell you they estimate HIGH and it's your job to prove them wrong.

In tax law you are guilty untill proven innocent.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Everything is good then I get a message thats says he found a better deal and hates to back out after we had a deal.

The shiny side of this coin (pun intended) is that he at least made contact with you to tell you the deal was off. You weren't waiting around the house for him to show, waiting on a telephone call, playing phone tag with him or wasting time/gas travelling to meet him.

I agree that he should have done his comparison shopping beforehand.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if i priced a gun at 200 and later found out it was worth 500 but had given my word then i would sell it for 200 i could be wrong but its just the way i am and i like to believe there are still others out there like me

if i got to the meeting place and they offered me a diffrent price i would turn it down 100% out of princible if we set a price at 200 and they offered me 190 i would leave but i dont sell guns for a business so usually i dont have to sell it i want to sell it to buy something else i really dont need i do agree if you sell guns or ? this will happen but it dosn't make it right in my eyes it just shows how the world has become again all this is just my way of thinking

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    if i priced a gun at 200 and later found out it was worth 500 but had given my word then i would sell it for 200 i could be wrong but its just the way i am and i like to believe there are still others out there like me

if i got to the meeting place and they offered me a diffrent price i would turn it down 100% out of princible if we set a price at 200 and they offered me 190 i would leave but i dont sell guns for a business so usually i dont have to sell it i want to sell it to buy something else i really dont need i do agree if you sell guns or ? this will happen but it dosn't make it right in my eyes it just shows how the world has become again all this is just my way of thinking

I ment that if he had contacted him before they met, I agree I would be pissed if I got to the meeting and they tried to short sell me.

If you would sell the gun for 200 knowing that the person was going to turn around and resale it for 500 then you are a rare bird and I tip my hat to you.

I would feel as if the person was trying to be dishonest, I couldn't buy from someone for 1/2 of what it is worth if they didn't know what is was worth.

I have paid more then the asking price for certain things because I knew what it was worth and the person didn't, but that s just me.

I want both people to be treated fair.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    No matter what the situation

A MAN IS ONLY AS GOOD AS HIS WORD ...(period)

:twocents:

Shouldn't that go both ways?

What if you know that you are over charging someone and they only make the deal because they were ignorant of what it was worth?

In this case what is your reputation worth? Isn't it damaged by dealing this way?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

What if you know that you are over charging someone and they only make the deal because they were ignorant of what it was worth?

In this case what is your reputation worth? Isn't it damaged by dealing this way?

2 words: Don Davis :)

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county

Over charging someone is the same as going against your word in my book ....as the saying goes
    an A@@hole is an A@@hole is an A@@hole ...:twocents:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom