• ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've seen it.

I don't recommend it.

And "no" is the general consensus on bullet curving.

BUT, I'd imagine that with the right set up, you probably could get a round "musket ball" type projectile to curve....baseballs curve, right?

-J-

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i do it thanks to the wind and the spinning of the earth. to do it like in the movie you have a better chance of getting obama to say he supports the American people and meaning it.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    has anyone seen this movie?
    can someone really curve a bullet id imagine not but you never know

Short answer: No.

Long Answer:

If we isolate bullet velocity towards the target from tangential velocity (the velocity of "sideways" motion to create the circle or bend) we can figure out what forces would be required to "curve" the bullet around someone.

First, some assumptions: The bullet is aimed directly at the target. The bullet curves around the target one full turn of 2 feet (smaller than in the movie, but I think this will make the point). So we need to look at the centripetal forces required for uniform circular motion.

First, how much time did the bullet require to make a complete 24 inch revolution? Let's use a slow .45 to give the bullet all the help it can. Say 800 fps. Distance from the shooter to the target? I don't remember, maybe 50 feet. Time from barrel to target = 50 f / 800 f / s = 0.0625 s.

T = 2pi R / v
    0.0625s = 2pi * 1f/v
    v = 2pi * 1f / 0.0625s
    v = 100.5 fps

At any point along the arch, the bullet is traveling 100.5 fps in a direction tangential to the radius of the arch. This is in addition to the forward speed of 800 fps. How much acceleration is required to pull the bullet into this circle?

a = v^2 / R
    a = (100.5 f^2 / s^2) / 1 f
    a = 100.5 f/s^2

I cheated with 2 feet diameter to make 1 foot radius to make the math easier. Acceleration is 100.5 f/s^2. So how big is this? Well, gravity is 32.174 f/s^2. So the bullet will some how experience more than 3 G's of acceleration (3x the force of gravity). How can it get this acceleration? The only way is air. That is the only thing that can push on it. There is no way it can push that hard.

So there is the long answer. But it gets to the same no.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Fun Sci-fi flick. not realistic, but fun.

Yes, a bullet can curve. well, not a bullet, per se, but have you ever looked at the rear sight on a Mk-19? the longer distances (out to 2,000 yds from what I remember) are slightly off-line from the shorter distances due to the curve of the round as a result of the spin.

shooting around a person by whipping the barrel sideways? no. but a slow curveball thrown by a MK-19, yes.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    has anyone seen this movie?
    can someone really curve a bullet id imagine not but you never know

Yupp
    Have none of you ever fired 62 gr or heavier 5.56 out of a 1/12 twist barrel!?!?
    Trust me you can make a bullet curve. tumble and to all kinds of bizzare stuff
    Look at some FPF night fire images as well. I know its cheating the topic but technically if it bounces off a surface right or rattles enough coming down the barrel bullets can do some bizarre stuff.

53547863_4f44be313b.jpg

858963012_ace572eb30.jpg

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    i havent seen it

yes, but not like in the movie. bullets do not follow a strait path, follows a curved path.

Top Bottom