• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I have a 2005 Ford Explorer. According to the reviews I read for that model year it is "less suitable" for actual offroad use than are other SUV's "in it's class." (There are reasons I got the one I did rather than something more specialized.)

Does anyone know just what the writers of those reviews might have had in mind as making it "less suitable" and if they are things that can reasonably be fixed in the aftermarket (things like shocks, springs, tires and wheels, etc.)?

Thanks.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    my wife has an 05 explorer....to make it off-road ready I think she would have to trade it in for a GM product:dunno:

What kind of off roading are you wanting to do?

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    From my time in an explorer (though it was earlier than 05) they were rather top-heavy, which kinda takes down their ability to do well off-road a couple notches.. not something you can fix with springs or shocks..

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    IMO, anything with IFS (independent front suspension) is less sutiable for off road use.

Biggest reason: they are way to easy to break

Other reasons: difficult to lift, less wheel travel, not very good in off camber situations.

Personally, if you want an 'off road' capable vehicle, your looking for Jeeps ;) Specifically a Wrangler or a Cherokee.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    In a word...

too big, too long, too low, too much overhang, too much wheelbase.

(Ok that's more than one word.)

Also depends on your definition of "offroad" If you mean "fire trails" without any washouts you'll be fine as long as you have decent tires and it's not muddy (muddy flat is OK, muddy uphill is not, and by "muddy" I mean no deeper than a few inches). If you mean "Jeep trails", you won't get very far.

I have a 99 Cherokee and stock it's OK for mild Jeep trails. I have however put a 3" lift and 31" mud tires on it and now its fine for moderate Jeeps trails. Stock 1997 and newer "TJ" Wranglers usually can fit a 31" tire without a lift, and it will scare you what you can do in a stock "TJ" Wrangler. The really new Wranglers can fit a 32" tire stock.

There isn't much aftermarket support in the way of lifts for an Exploder... most of them are quite expensive, and you would have to lift it about 5" to get adequate ground clearance.

If I needed the size of the Exploder (which is somewhat bigger than a Cherokee), I would look at the Grand Cherokee or maybe the Durango or one of the big Rovers or LandCruisers; if not, and you need true off road performance, then I would stick with the Cherokee, Wrangler, or 4Runner due to the huge aftermarket support. The X-Terra is pretty decent too in all regards, but you can get used Grand Cherokees and Cherokees for dirt cheap.

Warning: if you need more than 31" tires on a Cherokee (most people never will), it's going to be some big bucks and cutting sheet metal.

You can click on the link in my sig and see some pics of the Jeeps in action.

Last edited:

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    i have nothing to add other than this:

ry%3D400

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I have been working on 4wheel drives for over 25 years and owned a transmission shop for 20.

I raced my Jeep with a 350 chevy engine in the first tuff trucks competition that was held in the Hoosier Dome.

A lot depends on what engine you have.

V8 has a 4R70W transmission this unit is not a bad transmission but I can still make a long list of problems.

The V6 will have an 4R55E, this is a verry weak transmission.

If you offf road the explorer and hurt the transmission (Transmission is 3000.00+) you could buy an older jeep.

Then you go to the lockouts that it uses and don't get me started about the electronicly shifted transfer case, not good in mud.

Some of the explorers have an independant rear suspension with CV axles.

Top Bottom