• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have read a little about creatine. It looks like it helps a little to build muscle. The only side affect I noticed was that it could cause dehydration if used to excess and maybe resulting muscle cramps. It looked like it may help arthritis. I'm not a body builder, but I've been working out lately. I'm also trying to comeback from some injuries and osteoarthritis. I thought I might try some of this to see if it helps.

Anybody have any first-hand experience with creatine? Do you think it might help someone in my circumstances? What are the downsides, besides wasting money?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I used to use it a few years ago when I was lifting regularly. i dont know if it helped, but I did put on some good mass at that time. I had no side effects from it, at least none I knew of, or know of.

rcuhljr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Carmel
    Great website in general, but it has a good summary of creatine. Creatine

Basically if it's worthwhile will depend on what your goals are, I haven't seen anything really regarding it and arthritis. It's main benefits are increases in performance and muscle gain, if this is what your going for then it might be worth trying an investment to see if you get positive results. I know for myself I don't actively participate in any sports so performance isn't something I'm hugely worried about as a goal for when I lift so I don't bother with creatine.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Also used with Glutamine whice help me to recover quicker from sore muscles from a workout.

Follow the loading recommendations for the creatine. You need to build up slow and take a break now and then.
    Powders mix well, liquids taste horrible.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    all creatine does is it make your body hold water more so you can work longer and harder, but the longer and harder you work out the more you are sweating and thats how you dehydrate and cramp up. ive seen many people get aleg cramp when they are in a squat rack and they are working them self too hard cause they took creatine.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Also used with Glutamine whice help me to recover quicker from sore muscles from a workout.

Follow the loading recommendations for the creatine. You need to build up slow and take a break now and then.
    Powders mix well, liquids taste horrible.

+1, drink lots of water. When I used it a lot my goal was 1 oz of water per pound of body weight per day. At the time I was about 185. Most people would tell you one oz per 2 lbs would be plenty.

You will look bigger just from your muscles holding water, you will get better gains and performance.

Follow all loading instructions as well as cycling instructions.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Pretty much all it does is ables your muscles to retain more water, which makes them bigger, which makes you stronger.

I've never had an issue with cramping, but if you take it and cramping is a problem, increase your dihydrogen monoxide and potassium intake and you should be fine.:D

I found it most helpful when just beginning to lift. It made my muscles bigger and when I quit taking it I didn't see any decrease in strength/muscle size...Just don't quit your lifting regimen.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've seen many, many wonder supplements come and go since the earlu 1980s. I've been out of competitive lifting and training for years now, but I am always skeptical of benefits of supplements in general.

The primary benefits of most legitimate supplements are for people who have some kind of deficiency in their diet. If you eat a balanced diet, get adequate calories including enough protein, stay fully hydrated, train properly, and get adequate rest, you'll be fine. This of course assumes that the individual is not using performance-enhancing pharmaceuticals, in which case things are a bit different.

The bottom line for any of them is if they don't hurt you, and you think it helps, the only thing you stand to lose is money.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I am not lifting weights now. I'm doing cardio with an elyptical trainer and swimming. I looked up the articles on arthritis, and it seems like the creatine helped those with rheumatoid arthritis and Becker muscular dystrophy. I have osteoarthritis as do most of us over 50.

I guess the creatine probably won't help in my case as I'm not trying to add muscle, but increase endurance and tone, while easing the effects of the arthritis.

Stevenlong8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Monroe Co.
    Great stuff

I use it still today, Lift 3 times a week and as with any supplement always drink the water that you are supposed to to get the full effect for the creatine i take it in pill form on off days and liquid version when planning to lift that evening, what really helps is to take it 45 min befor the workout starts, and glutamine with "muscle milk " branded protein within 30 minutes of the end of workout. total for bulk building of muscle is 1g of protein per LB. of body weight. Also Nitric oxide before the workout lets the creatine and nutirents get to the muscles expediently and REALLY Helps.

Sorry to ramble.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I am not lifting weights now. I'm doing cardio with an elyptical trainer and swimming. I looked up the articles on arthritis, and it seems like the creatine helped those with rheumatoid arthritis and Becker muscular dystrophy. I have osteoarthritis as do most of us over 50.

I guess the creatine probably won't help in my case as I'm not trying to add muscle, but increase endurance and tone, while easing the effects of the arthritis.
    There are other recovery drinks that will help you with those. look for stuff advertised in running or cycling magazines or in catalogs geared toward endurance athletes. Creatine has little to no effect on endurance sports (the stuff I read on it was years old, so there may be new info that I don't know of).

Top Bottom