• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    After a decade on macs/linux rigs for my main system I am returning to using windows (to irritating to keep rebooting into it for VMware ESX stuff) as my primary OS.

Since its been a while since I was last here, what software is important to have on a new windows computer (windows 7, fully patched)? I figure anti-virus and cygwin, but beyond that im kinda in the dark.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Windows 7 is good. Not to mention Microsoft has a good lightweight free av called Microsoft Security Essentials. Beyond that software will depend on what you are using it for. I imagine you might want to get Microsoft Office as well, but you could easily use Open Office instead if you want.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Internet explorer is the best browser for downloading a better browser. I got onto Opera back before Firefox took off, mostly because I could have it in common between windoze and linux. Firefox is good too. My son's sold on Chrome, but I'm kinda Google-shy.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Windows 7 with Office so you can use Outlook. Windows Live Mail is giving me fits. Too many compatibality issues with it so I've gone to Office for Outlook as my primare email system now.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Windows 7 with Office so you can use Outlook. Windows Live Mail is giving me fits. Too many compatibality issues with it so I've gone to Office for Outlook as my primare email system now.

Yeah, the thought of going back to an outlook style mail client has me debating staying os x. Does it still have issues with multiple accounts?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Yeah, the thought of going back to an outlook style mail client has me debating staying os x. Does it still have issues with multiple accounts?
    Yes, Still issues and one of the reasons I'm having pic problems with software conflicts. I could buy another camera, change hosts, etc but the problem is with the Windows Live.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Glad you came to your senses. Everything has its niche, and for productivity, software options, and programming (dotnet), PC is the best. As an IT pro, these free tools are added to every computer I setup:

Dvd burning: Cd Burner Xp
    Make ISO's: imgburn
    Text edit source code: Notepad++
    Mount ISO files without ever extracting: magicdisc
    Connect to unix/linux: winscp

If you want to build a windows server CLUSTER for Hyper-V, or F&P, all you need is two identical servers running win2008r2_ent. The iscsi host software is FREE, so any pc computer could serve as the SAN. Hyper-V is included in Windows 2008, and is fully cluster capable (live migrations and all). How about that? Vmware can suck it. No special hardware required, no $100k SAN, no $30k Vmware_ent licenses...

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    If you want to build a windows server CLUSTER for Hyper-V, or F&P, all you need is two identical servers running win2008r2_ent. The iscsi host software is FREE, so any pc computer could serve as the SAN. Hyper-V is included in Windows 2008, and is fully cluster capable (live migrations and all). How about that? Vmware can suck it. No special hardware required, no $100k SAN, no $30k Vmware_ent licenses...

Ill stick with ESX on the server side I think. Something about the fact one linux box can do what it takes 10 windows servers to do... and don't get me started on Apache Vs IIS.

The rest of your advise ill take though, those apps are exacally what I wanted.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I can definitely recommend Mozilla Thunderbird for your primary email client. I've been using it for about a year and it's growing on me.

I've been using Thunderbird ever since Netscape dropped email from it's last build eons ago.

Now it's strictly Mozzilla Firefox and Thunderbird.

BTW, on T-Bird I'm using it to grab mail from 3 different locations with 7 different email addresses, so multiples are no problem.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I can honestly say that I am COMPLETELY shocked that not one single Apple user has posted in this thread and recommended that you rethink.:):

Rethink! After years of using Windows, I only needed about a month and I was hooked on Mac! My Dad upgraded to 7 when it came out and just reverted back to Vista.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYWmDag3ruM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYWmDag3ruM[/ame]

MRTOOSE

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Putnam Co
    I think you will like Windows 7 , I have been running it for several months and found it to be pretty robust . So much better than Vista . I have Office installed and use Chrome .. getting by just fine . Of course just my opinion

Last edited:
    Top Bottom