Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

I was stocking up copper pennies. I've got a coffee can full of them but frankly I don't thin copper is ever going to be worth it. How many pennies would you have to store away to make it worthwhile? How many pounds of pennies would you have to have to get even a hundred bucks out of it? What could you do with them? Copper jacket bullets? And would that be worth the trouble if you could?
    I'm thinking about liquidating mine and getting some good barter things--things people will really want and need.
    It's much later than you think...And there always comes a time when it is too late.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by .45 Dave View Post
    What could you do with them? Copper jacket bullets? And would that be worth the trouble if you could?
    I'm thinking about liquidating mine and getting some good barter things--things people will really want and need.
    You can do many things with them, it all depends on your skillset. And they will also be very worth while to barter to somebody that can use them. IMHO, much better than dumping your money into gold & silver.

"Worth" the trouble is all dependent on your definition of "worth". I don't think anybody ever said pennies were the be-all, end-all of preps, but it's one more tool in the tool-box, and takes minimal effort and minimal financial investment to collect them.

How many "barter items" could you really buy if you liquidated your penny stash? Probably not much... that's kind of the point, the financial investment is so incredibly low, that it can't hurt to have them around JIC.

There are MANY uses for copper, and many things can be made from copper pennies, bullet jackets was only a single example.

User Info Menu

I got myself some junk silver dimes for intrinsic value. I have copper in various forms, but for use in those forms. Got some old pennies because old stuff is cool.
    Geeking out on ancestry; 17th great grandson of Geoffrey Chaucer, and a bunch of dukes, knights, princesses, kings and stuff. Of course, once you turn over a rock and one king crawls out, you're pretty much infested with them. And what did I tell you? Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor, Charles "The Hammer" Martel, and a truckload of others. This is getting better: "The Bonny Earl O'Moray" was an ancestor, and the origin of the term mondegreen: They slew the Earl O'Moray and Lady Mondegreen

Plinker

User Info Menu

I started saving pennies for the copper, but it was too time consuming. I just try to take my lunch a few times a week and then buy silver with my savings.

User Info Menu

7yr old bump but I recently started pulling copper pennies out of circulation, even Canadian pennies I find. I got a 2 ft tube that's 6in in diameter that I was going to use to make a tumbler but decided to buy one.
    “Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one.” -Chesty Puller

User Info Menu

The old style pennies are getting rarer and rarer at least in my world. I don't deal with cash that much so don't have a lot of change cross my hands but the cpt america shield penny is pretty ubiquitous these days.

I wonder if I turned in old twenty dollar bills and explained that they represent 2000 old copper pennies if I'd realize the 250% profit cited above?
    Yes I am for gun control!! A firm grip, steady aim, and a gentle squeeze!!

What comes after your first "infraction"? Double Secret Probation perhaps???

Marksman

User Info Menu

This reminds of my dad and one of his old failed schemes. In 1983-84 when they had just started using copper plated zinc, he decided that the copper in old pennies was going to really go up in value. He went to the bank and got $1000 in old pennies all in rolls. He kept them in the basement in a couple of great big old ammo boxes. I remember him saying that it was about 600 lbs of pennies. (I looked it up and it was about 689lbs) Anyway, I think he kept them for at least 15 years and then finally ended up needing the money and just trading them back in for face value. LOL.

User Info Menu

I'd think scrounging around job sites looking for scrap wire bits would be more profitable. And legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by printcraft View Post
    I have received and I have given. Usually at different times. But sometime at the same time.

User Info Menu

A guy I know was telling me about the house that they'd recently bought. The house was build in the mid 1960s and all of the plumbing, supply and waste lines were all copper. I've of course seen lots of copper water pipe, but I've never seen a house with copper waste pipes. There's a lot of copper in 4" pipe and fittings.
    No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoxaJunk View Post
    A guy I know was telling me about the house that they'd recently bought. The house was build in the mid 1960s and all of the plumbing, supply and waste lines were all copper. I've of course seen lots of copper water pipe, but I've never seen a house with copper waste pipes. There's a lot of copper in 4" pipe and fittings.
    My first house had copper waste lines. Not a lot because all the plumbing was in one vertical wet wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by printcraft View Post
    I have received and I have given. Usually at different times. But sometime at the same time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast