• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • $mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I'm volunteering at an IPS school today for a couple hours. I know well enough to leave the firearm behind, but are there other restrictions for non-students? Things I'm thinking of that are on me are my pocket knife and sudafed.

Safe@Home

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Near Lafayette
    Canyou call the school and ask what their policies are? I would imagine no knife either, because kids aren't allowed even those multi tool/plier things if it has a knife on it.

The sudafed should be just what you need for the day. Don't take the box or bottle with you. If it's four hour sudafed then you take just enough in your pocket to get you through the time you are there. But I would call and ask and just say you carry a swiss army knife or something like that and ask what they allow.

Good luck, hope it's a fun day for you.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    As far as I know, the only thing that's actually illegal on the property is firearms. Anything else may be prohibited by policy but the worst they could do is ask you to leave.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Knife law technically refers to the knife as being intended to be used as a weapon (IC 35-47-5-2.5) for it to be verboten, however that doesn't mean you wouldn't get hooked and booked and fight it in court. A flashlight is not a prohibited item, though, nor an extendable baton or even a roll of quarters. Keep your awareness high and be aware of improvised weapons and escape routes before you need them. Also, if you do keep your handgun in your vehicle, park off school property.

IC 35-47-5-2.5
    Possession of a knife on school property
    **** Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    ********(1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    ********(2) is intended to be used as a weapon.
    ****(b) The term includes a dagger, dirk, poniard, stiletto, switchblade knife, or gravity knife.
    ****(c) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally possesses a knife on:
    ********(1) school property (as defined in IC 35-41-1-24.7);
    ********(2) a school bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-8); or
    ********(3) a special purpose bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-10);
    commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a previous unrelated conviction under this section and a Class D felony if the offense results in bodily injury or serious bodily injury to another person.
    ****(d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    ********(1) if:
    ************(A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    ************(B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    ********(2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.
    Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks guys. Volunteers didn't have to go through any check point or metal detectors, so the stuff I had on me was good to go. I didn't get any comment so no worries. (Firearm was in my car; we took a coworker's car to make sure it wasn't an issue)
    We were helping out for Engineers Week. It was interesting to bring bomb racks and model aircrafts/weapons in to a school and discuss them with students when zero tolerance policies run rampant.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I carried a folder with a 3 1/2" blade to school every day and no one ever said a word. I used it several times in front of teachers...I'm guessing they aren't illegal.

Not to mention if it's sole purpose is self defense, it won't be leaving your pocket anyway unless you need it.

Top Bottom