• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Abu Ghraib guard Lynndie England says of Iraqi prisoners she was convicted of abusing:

It's been 8 years since this happened and she has been dishonorably dishcarged from the Army for 1 year now after servering 500+ days in an Army prison. She is a convicted felon now, single mother who can't even get a job at McDonald's or Burger King.

What I found most intriguing is the comments in the article that state no officer in that command has been charged or convicted of this scandal. Instead this PFC took all the blame. :rolleyes:

-Jedi

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Abu Ghraib guard Lynndie England says of Iraqi prisoners she was convicted of abusing:

It's been 8 years since this happened and she has been dishonorably dishcarged from the Army for 1 year now after servering 500+ days in an Army prison. She is a convicted felon now, single mother who can't even get a job at McDonald's or Burger King.

What I found most intriguing is the comments in the article that state no officer in that command has been charged or convicted of this scandal. Instead this PFC took all the blame. :rolleyes:

-Jedi

They were smart enough to stay out of the pictures, and apparently know how to keep their mouths shut. I could care less about Ms. England, she knowingly committed an illegal act. :dunno:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    They were smart enough to stay out of the pictures, and apparently know how to keep their mouths shut. I could care less about Ms. England, she knowingly committed an illegal act. :dunno:

Doesn't matter, it's a failure of leadership.

Also, just because they didn't do time doesn't mean they weren't punished. I would expect that most were not designated as career officers, and were processed out with a less than stellar record.

Those officers may find employment difficult as well.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Werent these Terrorist that were supposedly abused? The Same people who hate Americans for no other reason than being American? I Feel Sorry for the Guard, Not the prisoners. How many Americans were these people responsable for or involved in the deaths of innocent Americans. Sad that they have more rights then our service men and Woman. Was it stupid to be photographed doing stupid things? you betcha! But a felony, give me a freakin break!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Werent these Terrorist that were supposedly abused? The Same people who hate Americans for no other reason than being American? I Feel Sorry for the Guard, Not the prisoners. How many Americans were these people responsable for or involved in the deaths of innocent Americans. Sad that they have more rights then our service men and Woman. Was it stupid to be photographed doing stupid things? you betcha! But a felony, give me a freakin break!

Sorry dude, these guys were former Iraqi soldiers and "accused" terrorists. I don't like the idea of jailers handing down sentences when those persons haven't been given a trial OR not even been charged with a crime.

We (Americans), shouldn't be in the business of "what if, maybe, or possibly".

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    Two positive things I have learned from this article:

(1) England is a Pepper. That's a good thing.
    (2) She's probably going to be an easy first date. If you know what I mean.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Sorry dude, these guys were former Iraqi soldiers and "accused" terrorists. I don't like the idea of jailers handing down sentences when those persons haven't been given a trial OR not even been charged with a crime.

We (Americans), shouldn't be in the business of "what if, maybe, or possibly".

Well go ask some Americans what they think that were taken prisoner by the Iraquis or one of thier many different tribes about how the were treated. Oh wait be kind of hard after they have been beheaded for being an American.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well go ask some Americans what they think that were taken prisoner by the Iraquis or one of thier many different tribes about how the were treated. Oh wait be kind of hard after they have been beheaded for being an American.

I don't do "eye for an eye." If you're willing to employ terrorist tactics, then how are you any different?

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    I think the real bad part of all this is that thier are people who would leak stuff like this. I{n my opionon, and yes I know everyone has one. No media of any shape or form needs to be embedded with our troops ever. Way to easy for information being leaked jeopordizing our troops saftey.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    its amazing to me we could water board those suckers but taking their picture is abuse?

she got rail roaded i'd give her a job.

jake

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    She doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed, but she committed the crime and did her time. Considering the circumstances, I think some employers should be able to consider her for a job. She needs to look for work at other than big corporations where they are flooded with applicants and don't take the time to really examine a potential employee. This should be a lesson, life's hard and it's a lot harder when one is a convicted felon with a dishonorable discharge.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    I don't do "eye for an eye." If you're willing to employ terrorist tactics, then how are you any different?

It is not about an eye for an eye, you cant face an enemey like a passifist and expect to survive. It is War, there is a such thing as collateral damage in war. Problem is you can not always tell who the enemey is 100% of the time. The rules of engagement made by our government and people in my opiniopn, with what appears to be your "way of thinking" is what got so many of our people killed.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It is not about an eye for an eye, you cant face an enemey like a passifist and expect to survive. It is War, there is a such thing as collateral damage in war. Problem is you can not always tell who the enemey is 100% of the time. The rules of engagement made by our government and people in my opiniopn, with what appears to be your "way of thinking" is what got so many of our people killed.

Spot on. War is hell, and I'm not really concerned about complying with some pencil head's idea of "fair." And war should be hell. It should be brutal. It should be vicious. It should be ruthless and severe. Were it so, I suspect there would be a little bit less of it in the world today.

Weakness is provocative. ROE are a form of weakness. I can tolerate a respectable level of chivalry, but only if the opposing sides plays by the same rules. Otherwise, I will default to the meanest, nastiest set of rules being used by any given participant at the time. I would wage war to win. Not make friends. Global reputation be damned.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville

Somehow I don't think what she did (Humiliation), and beheading not only captured prisoners but civilian contractors, are in the "Eye for an Eye boat." :dunno:

Maybe I'm just silly that way. :n00b:

Top Bottom