• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Let me start from the very beginning. For my graduation present my parents bought me a car. I chose a 2007 Hyundai Tiburon Tuscani Edition. I love that car. I am very meticulous about the care for this vehicle, or any vehicle for that matter. I wash the car and truck at least once a week, walk around and inspect them damn near every time I drive them, and certainly every time I wash them. Fluid changes all the time, oil every 5k, and only premium grade synthetic. I love my cars.

Well, the ride needed some new tires, so I go over to Discount Tire (DT) and get some tires ordered up. About a week later, they call me and tell me they're in, and I can come in anytime and get them installed. Cool.

I am in the middle of washing my car, and going over it, so I finish, eat lunch then I head over, and drop my car off. I walk down to work to hang out (smoke shop) , and receive a phone call. Its DT telling me they have three of the correct tire, and they received a different model tire for number four. They offer me a different set of tires, I decline, and they put on the odd ball, tell me they will order in the correct tire, and I can come in and get the new tire whenever. Cool.

I walk back down when my car is finished and see it pulled in (not backed in) to a parking spot. This car sits LOW, so I always back in, just to be safe so I don't scrape the front bumper. I shake my head, go in, and pay. I walk out to my car, and leave. I head over to work, park, and walk around the front and notice a crack on my bumper. I don't know if it happened in the garage, or the curb. I should have looked when I noticed they pulled in.

Head right back on over to DT, tell the manager, and he helps me file a complaint. His take on it is, it probably happened in the garage at some point.

About a week later, some guy shows up at my work. Not at all related to DT, he is a private insurance adjuster. His job is to go around the state, take pictures, and send in the info. From what I gathered he is in no way affiliated with DT, therefore isn't familiar with their procedures. He does his thing and leaves.

About four days later, I get a call from DT, my new tire is in. I head over, this time they use a different jack (a hand jack) to change this tire. They decided this go around the car is too low, and the stance isn't right to use on the other jacks (the ones they used the first time). I get to talking to the manager, and he asks if I heard back from corporate yet, I said no. He said he will E-Mail them, and have them call me. No call.

Fast forward to today (about nine days since getting my new tire), I get a letter in the mail, I will type said letter word for word...

Dear Mr. Smith,

The investigation into the above referenced claim is now complete. According to the INDEPENDENT appraisers report and review by Discount Tire, there is no evidence any tools used or service provided by Discount Tire damaged your vehicle. For Discount Tire to issue any type of compensation the company would have to be found legally liable for the damage to your vehicle. At this time, we found no legal liabilities on behalf of the company. Based on this information, Discount Tire is not accepting liability for the damage to your vehicle and, will not be issuing any voluntary payments at this time.

If you have any additional information that you think may be relevant in our liability investigation, please submit it to my attention for review. In the absence of any new information, our file will remain closed. Please be advised the statute of limitations for property damage in the state of Indiana is two years from the date of loss.

Sincerely,

Rob Ramos
    Claims Mgmt Dept.
    Discount Tire Company
    xxx.xxxx@xxxx.com

I am beyond pissed with these people. I know for a fact that crack wasn't there when I left my car with them. It's my word against theirs, and I am not sure how to proceed. I want a phone number, but my local DT branch won't give it up, and the letter didn't have one attached.

Any advice from any INGO members would be greatly appreciated, I have never had to deal with a property damages claim before.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    it really blows to hear that. my only advice would be to take the vehicles to tirebarn next time around. they are the ONLY people to touch my vehicle, let alone i generally sit in the shop and watch.. (im a freak i know). pay the 25 dollars in small claims court to file papers.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I usually do sit and watch, but since DT was SO close to work, I figured I'd give them a shot, while I went and relaxed, and smoked a cigar. As it turns out, bad idea!!!

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    That really sucks but if you don't have any actual proof there is probably nothing more that can be done to get your bumper fixed.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    An insurance adjusters job is to deny a claim.

Your only recourse is to hire an attorney and sue.
    (or throw a rock through the window)

:twocents:

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    +1 for Tires Plus in Noblesville .

They have some records of putting tires on cars that I had forgot I even owned .:D:n00b:

I also ALWAYS stand right there and watch every move .

Oddly enough , never a problem .

One time, I went in to get my muffler fixed and they took off all four tires .

I thought that was really odd , but no harm done .

Other than that , some good , hardworkin' people.

gtrlspl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    South Bend
    My older brother used to work for Discount Tire for a few years and he has countless stories of other workers doing stupid things that end up damaging customer's vehicles. For the most part he says their policy was always just to deny any wrong doing and very seldom do they ever pay to fix anything. He only recalled one time DT paid to have someone's car fixed and that was only because they took the car to another mechanic who was able to prove it was DT's fault and the person had to go to small claims court and finally that employee was fired.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    An insurance adjusters job is to deny a claim.

Your only recourse is to hire an attorney and sue.
    (or throw a rock through the window)

:twocents:

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

No it's not! The letter said if he had anything else to add, they were willing to hear it!
    Tell them your story. How low the car sits, etc.
    But to be fair, knowing what you do about your car, and the fact that you say that you are meticulous with it and all,.....why would you NOT stand and watch them work on your car?
    I drive mostly old trucks and vans, but I ALWAYS watch anybody that works on any of them!
    You say that it caught your attention that they pulled into the parking spot, .... You know how low the nose of your car is,.... If you would have found it immediately, you could have had a much stronger standing.
    I've used Discount for years, probably been through about seven or eight sets of tires with all our vehicles, never had any problems with them.
    I'd say at least half the fault was your own for not watching them and letting them move your "baby"! Live and learn!

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Colinb913 said:
    Head right back on over to DT, tell the manager, and he helps me file a complaint. His take on it is, it probably happened in the garage at some point.

I think if you return to the store and discuss the situation with the same manager, have him talk to the tech that worked on/pulled your car in and out and see what happens. If you're the only driver of your car and you're certain the damage didn't occur in your hands, then you need to seek recourse from the guilty party, regardless of whatever the "private investigator" says.

If I were that claims adjuster and I saw any car, (let alone one that sat lower than average) with front bumper cover damage, I would be inclined to deny the claim also. But if the damage occurred during their service to your car, their insurance should pay to repair or replace anything damaged, period.

Having heard your side of the story, I think if you take the letter in with you to the manager and have a frank discussion with him, you stand a decent chance of having this taken care of.

Good luck.

Last edited:

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Does DT have cameras inside and outside their garage area? I would think they do... If so, you better hurry, who knows how long they keep video footage.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The biggest problem I see is how to prove it happened there. The fact that you did not catch it until after you had left the shop makes it very hard to prove it happened there.

Of course they would deny the claim. There are a LOT of unscrupulous people out there that try to get companies pay for things that are not their fault.

I would say, next time at least make sure you check over your car before you leave a shop.

I also have had very good service with DT. I've been going there for about five years with three different vehicles.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    and this is why I don't trust "tire shops" and their $9/hour "techs". There's a reason their **** is so cheap. You get what you pay for.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Sorry to hear one bad apple messed it up for you. I have shopped exclusively at DT for the past decade and thoroughly enjoy that place. I buy for a small fleet of vehicles.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I do them myself, because I work in a place that I can do that. But there's a reason dealers and REPUTABLE shops charge more. They're worth it. I might buy tires from DT occasionally, but I refuse to let their underpaid high school drop-outs touch my vehicle. Last time I let the wife go to one (9 years ago) I had to tighten the lugnuts, air the tires up and rebalance them.

What's worse is I see what they do to my customers. Rather than selling them the RIGHT tire for the vehicle they will sell them what they have. Too bad your car requires a "V" speed rating... we'll install some nice "T" rated tires with a lower load rating. They're CHEAPER! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom