• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did you know the torhc relay was started in NAZI Germany!

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Torch relay's Nazi origins aren't widely known - Yahoo! Sports

:wow:

Now this I did not know. It was actually NAZI Germany that started the relay and running of the Olympic torch by lighting a torch from Greece and taking it to the host country! They did it as a form of propaganda for the NAZI ideas to show the world that "they are not bad" for the 1936 berlin games.

& here I though it meant other things and off course I grew up hearing abc/nbc tell me the WRONG THING! :xmad:

So who knew?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Another interesting fact from that Olympics is that the US humiliated Hitler by sending an untermesch to the Olympics who defeated Germany's (and the rest of the worlds) best runners. That was Jesse Owens. A black man.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Man, if I wanted to read a book, my door wouldn't stay open. Hitler was also nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize (though of course he didn't win), so the stupid there goes back way farther from 2009 than you might think.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    During those games the germans were also in a police state and threatened if they did not appear to be "happy good subjects". Lots of literature available about those games and the little things that were being done by the Nazi propaganda machine.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Another interesting fact from that Olympics is that the US humiliated Hitler by sending an untermesch to the Olympics who defeated Germany's (and the rest of the worlds) best runners. That was Jesse Owens. A black man.

Wow. I always thought of Jesse Owens as an American and never thought much about his color. I assume "untermesch" is a racial term. Interesting post.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Nonetheless there is nothing really wrong with the tradition itself. Did you know that Christopher Columbus may have been a real prick. Turns out he still had the balls to sail over the edge of the world. Today's PC pisses me off a little. It basically says if something bad was ever associated with a thing, that thing must be bad also. Hitler was an evil evil man. So...we should stop passing the torch.... I know it hasn't actually been said on the thread, but that is what we were going for here right? All in all its a pretty interesting fact that I had not previously known. Thanks for sharing OP!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Wow. I always thought of Jesse Owens as an American and never thought much about his color. I assume "untermesch" is a racial term. Interesting post.
    Untermesch is German for Under Man, Sub Human, in the Nazi use of the word.

I believe though that the term was actually used first by Friedrich Nietzsche to describe the Common Man. It was the Term of the Day (late 1800s) to describe People as, quite similar to the modern use of the words Sheep or sheeple...

Top Bottom