• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    One of my kids assures me he needs a laptop for school work. I'm not looking for one for gaming, but a decent one with wireless and with MS office. Any suggestions?
    I may try a pawn shop... not sure. I'm wanting to spend less than $300.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I got my mother a laptop on Craigslist. You have to be selective and patient, but you can find a decent one there.

Her only requirements were that she wanted to be able to make out tests and play Farmtown.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I agree finding one on craigslist (as long as your sure you are getting the better end of the deal) and the openoffice software. I've used openoffice for a very long time and haven't had any issues with it.

The Glockantuan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    Google docs! Never looked back since I switched over from open office. Plus its cross platform for OS's so that's a plus for me as well.

If I were getting a computer used off craigslist/ebay; I'd make sure that it came with the OS and driver cds, and if the seller hadn't already wiped the drive fresh I'd do so immediately and install fresh. Better safe than sorry; you don't know what might have been on there before. :dunno: Also, if theres ever anything wrong with the comp, you'll need those cds/dvds to reinstall the operating system, and you don't want to have to fork over $$$ to get that back.

How old is your kid? If not that far from college, a new/decent laptop might be worth the investment...but if it's only for office applications you should buy a piece of junk and throw ubuntu linux on it. That way you don't have to worry about viruses. :rockwoot:

Even though they cost a lot, and Apple nickle and dimes you in every way imaginable (just like M$), Macbooks will far outlast PCs hands down. You could probably find a decent refurb'd macbook for a little bit more than what you intended and your kid would have a solid computer that would last he/she until they could afford to buy themselves whatever they wanted.

Just my :twocents:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Walmart has several new in the box Compaqs right now for $300 and less. For $300 you can get new instead of used. Then use Google Docs.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Walmart has several new in the box Compaqs right now for $300 and less. For $300 you can get new instead of used. Then use Google Docs.

Yea I'd prefer new rather than used as well. $300 should get a machine that's great for Facebook and typing papers.

Unfortunately, MS Office isn't cheap. There's a Home & Student edition that is around $120 if you find that Google docs or Open Office won't cut it. Open Office can open MS Word documents and save in that format as well.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Personally, I'd avoid used laptops like the plague only because you don't know the use and abuse they've been through. No telling if it's been dropped around, exposed to moisture, etc. The exterior may not necessarily show all the things it's had happen to it. Plus, computer components such as hard drives, etc. are so flaky at times you never know. Not to mention, some people don't really have a clue on PCs and may have deleted or somehow corrupted files that can be a headache to address for a lot of people.

I'd spend a little more to buy new. And people are right, MS products are a bit pricy and there are equally good free comps out there that would be just fine for a student.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    One of my kids assures me he needs a laptop for school work. I'm not looking for one for gaming, but a decent one with wireless and with MS office. Any suggestions?
    I may try a pawn shop... not sure. I'm wanting to spend less than $300.

If your kid is an Indiana university student he has free access to lots of software including office for free through IUWare.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for the tips to all.
    I'm reading that it can open and safe documents from other software. So I'm guessing he can open a MS word doc?
    Yep. Open Office can open and save in multiple formats. You're good to go with it. I've been using it for years and have had no problems with it. Does everything that MS Office does and it's free. I'll also second the new vs. used. Wally World usually has some pretty good deals on wintel machines and now would be a good time to get one, (before they force you into Windows 8).

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Do a search for "Software for Starving Students". The last version was released in 2007, I believe. But it is a great list of those open source freeware apps available to replace some paid apps that you can't afford. Office as described. GIMP vs Photoshop. Etc.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You know, if you have a windows live ID (hotmail email, msn, etc) or sign up for one you can create Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote files for free. Even comes with free online storage.

http://skydrive.live.com

How expensive is MS Office again? :rolleyes:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You know, if you have a windows live ID (hotmail email, msn, etc) or sign up for one you can create Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote files for free. Even comes with free online storage.

http://skydrive.live.com

How expensive is MS Office again? :rolleyes:

That, like Google Docs, only works when you are internet connected. Sometimes that is a solution for people, sometimes not.

I've used enough personal and enterprise level clouds services to know that the few times it doesn't work is right when you need it. :)

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I bought a new Gateway M-Series laptop when I was a freshman in college, I've had the thing going on 6 years now and I've never had a problem with it. And another plus 1 for Open Office.

Top Bottom