Tech Gurus Get In Here!! PC/GPS question....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I am NOT technologically proficient enough to know what the heck I'm doing and I need help.

I have a PC with mapping software that will support GPS. The software vendor tells me that I have to use a supported GPS receiver. The supported GPS receivers are the Motorola M12+ and the Encore GT+.

There are no variables. The mapping software is what it is and is NOT subject to any changes or replacements so please don't suggest that I get different software. I HAVE TO HAVE the software so now I'm on a mission to add GPS and by looking at the supported receivers, I am totally lost on how they work or how to install them.

Any help is appreciated.

BoomstickBuff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Noblesville
    From what I can tell from quick research on the models you noted, they are not typical GPS receivers. In most cases, the GPS receiver will connect to your PC via a simple USB cable and interact with the sotware to provide location data. At least one of the units you listed seems to be more of a timer, leveraging the GPS signal to provide a precision time pulse (at 1 pulse per second), and both seem to be boards you would mount internally rather than an external unit.

I'm no expert with this stuff, but if you could provide the name of the software you have to use to allow some additional research.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    the software is called Zclient and is from Custum Logic Designs. It is the software that public safety uses to dispatch runs and things like that. The included map program is called Zmap.

According to Custom Logic, there are several different GPS that are supported other than the two I listed. The others are: PinPoint X modem via IP, NEMA GPRMC-PV out, Trimble/TAIP, Trimble/TAIP-Host Controlled, NEMA GPRMC-GO. The couple that I tried to research out of that list cost over a grand....that ain't gonna happen....

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    According to Custom Logic, there are several different GPS that are supported other than the two I listed. The others are: PinPoint X modem via IP, NEMA GPRMC-PV out, Trimble/TAIP, Trimble/TAIP-Host Controlled, NEMA GPRMC-GO. The couple that I tried to research out of that list cost over a grand....that ain't gonna happen....
    I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that NMEA and TAIP are protocols, not devices. Put another way, those are languages that your program understands.

Something like this should support NMEA GPRMC:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-USB-GPS-Receiver/dp/B000PKX2KA]Amazon.com: GlobalSat BU-353 USB GPS Receiver: GPS & Navigation[/ame]

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    evidently I have to spread it around before I can rep you again.

there are lots of ways to do GPS but having it integrated with the software on my laptop is hugely advantageous. I would have to show you for it to make sense.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    This is something that the vendor should support, since it is proprietary software. If they won't support you then I'd buy different tracking software. If you are using supported hardware, then they should readily supply technical support.

A driver installation may be required to interface between the GPS and the software, and this driver may come from either the GPS or software vendor. That's about all the advice I can offer.

Top Bottom