• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Just looking at that footage looks like I could blow a leg clean off from a sitting position at my computer.

Try it on a ham leg. Not a cooked one, a raw one. It won't even make it to the bone.

If it would blow the leg off of a person why do you use them for little birds and rabbits? Hell any decent hunter would say #8 is too small for small game! #6 or #4 is where its at for 1-5lb prey. 00 for 150lbs and up.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Try it on a ham leg. Not a cooked one, a raw one. It won't even make it to the bone.

If it would blow the leg off of a person why do you use them for little birds and rabbits? Hell any decent hunter would say #8 is too small for small game! #6 or #4 is where its at for 1-5lb prey. 00 for 150lbs and up.

:+1:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    So if a man gets hit on the knee, it would just bounce off:dunno: & he mite have a small bruise:rolleyes:

I'd never consider a load of tiny birdshot for a human target unless it was the only option left. Studies in the field have shown it to be totally ineffective way too often. Toss on a pair of carhartt overalls or thick pants and its possible the perp may only end up with superficial injuries. Sure it would hurt, but you need to stop the bad guy. Birdshot is not a self defense round.

I'm just as outspoken against 00 buckshot, but for different reasons. And that I qualify my objections, if you live alone, if your house is brick, if you live away from other homes, then feel free to use 00 buck because those are good situations. But in a suburban or city setting, apartment, frame house, etc, then go to #3 or 4 Buckshot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    At house distance it's still a frangible slug but 20 feet is pushing it. It depends on the choke you are using I suppose. A BB gun will stop the average burglar, while deer slugs might not stop a drug nut. This looks like a great application for "cut shells" if bird-shot is all you have.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    At house distance it's still a frangible slug but 20 feet is pushing it. It depends on the choke you are using I suppose. A BB gun will stop the average burglar, while deer slugs might not stop a drug nut. This looks like a great application for "cut shells" if bird-shot is all you have.

I assume you are talking about the myth that birdshot acts like a slug at very close range. Fact is it NEVER behaves like a slug and always acts like a bunch of tiny little metal balls moving very fast without much kinetic energy on their own.

I don't think "cut shells" are ever a very good (reliable) option.

What the hell is all the shotgun/birdshot for HD talk about anyway? This time of year or something?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I assume you are talking about the myth that birdshot acts like a slug at very close range. Fact is it NEVER behaves like a slug and always acts like a bunch of tiny little metal balls moving very fast without much kinetic energy on their own.

I don't think "cut shells" are ever a very good (reliable) option.

What the hell is all the shotgun/birdshot for HD talk about anyway? This time of year or something?

****s and giggles.

:laugh:

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    let me see a 22 LR & a 25 acp can kill you, but bird shot will tickle you:n00b::laugh:
    just like mtn dew...

th

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I'd never consider a load of tiny birdshot for a human target unless it was the only option left. Studies in the field have shown it to be totally ineffective way too often. Toss on a pair of carhartt overalls or thick pants and its possible the perp may only end up with superficial injuries. Sure it would hurt, but you need to stop the bad guy. Birdshot is not a self defense round.

Agreed.

Top Bottom