• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emodude

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have lived in my current house for almost 20 years I grow up in the house and purchased it off my father when he retired and have always keep it one of the nicest houses on the street. Earlier this year I went on vacation to florida for 3 weeks, with-in an hour of getting back while I was unloading my truck a couple of the neighbors came up to me and started complaining about how tall my Grass was and that they didn't appreciate that I didn't take care of my property and let me grass grow so tall, I was suprised since I have never talked to any of my neighbors, I keep to myself. They went on to tell me that they were going to start a home owners association to make people like me take care of their property to their standards. Now I have looked at the deed to my house and there are no mention of Home owner association and I do not have any Restrictive covenants or deed restrictions on my property I more or less should be able to do what I want with-in the law and be able to keep to myself. Now everytime I Drive down the street neighbors will stare at me and watch me when ever I am out in my front yard. I also had to chase their kids off from the property this halloween since they were throwing eggs at my house. When I went to the parents they told me that your childern did nothing wrong and closed the door in my face. The real sad part of it is they treat me like this and down the street we have a registered sex offenders and they all seem to have no problem with him.

I dont know what I did wrong, I have never talked to the neighbors never done anything wrong to the people on the street just didn't cut me grass for 3 week while on vacation.

Does anyone else have any issue's with their neighbor-hood

Also on your street do the people not use their backyards?

On my street everyone does everything in their front yard we have several people that constantly have their garage door open with t.v and radios on all the time which wouldn't be bad buts its everday until about 1am. I can actually sit on my front porch and listen to a couple of football games at once coming from down the street about 12 houses away from me every weekend.

Also when did it become normal to grill in your front yard? All my neighbors grill in their drive-ways. Is this a normal thing that is common for people to do? I always have used my back-yard never my front.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    It's your property. Tell them to get off it or you will help them off.

I have bad neighbors. We keep to ourselves, lock the doors. And keep watch over our stuff the best we can.

Tell them to stay off your property. That's about all you can do. If the kids egg you again, you could definitely make them crap their pants, but...that's up to you.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Sucks to be in your position. I am very blessed. We have one bad neighbor, but their kids are getting older and fatter, so we never see them anymore. I had to adjust the attitude on one earlier this year when he tried throwing rocks at my dogs in front of my daughter.. That kids walks out of his way to not make contact with me now. Other than that I have the preacher and his wife (the most amazing people), and some other blue collar families that are wonderful. We all mow the same days (and usually have a meet-n-greet in the shared alley afterwards, haha.

Adive for ya? Stay to yourself I suppose, and every time the snot nosed punks come on your yard, video tape if its vandalism, and immediately call the law...

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Molotov Cocktail.......

I find it strange that you would be hassled by your neighbors for not cutting your grass. Especially if you have been there for 20 years and its one of the nicest houses on the block. You didn't cut them off or kick there dog one day did you. Lol...

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Molotov Cocktail.......

I find it strange that you would be hassled by your neighbors for not cutting your grass. Especially if you have been there for 20 years and its one of the nicest houses on the block. You didn't cut them off or kick there dog one day did you. Lol...

Maybe you should kick their dog, and let them knows who runs s*** on that block!

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    What ever happened to being neighborly?

Where I'm from it is customary to keep the grass mowed and yard maintained, the people who don't do it are looked at in a different light. We also help each other out and mow each other's grass when someone goes on vacation so our community might be different.

The TVs and radios in the garage would drive me nuts too. I also think grilling is more of a back yard activity.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I had one who complained to the town about my grass once, after 5 years of cutting it 2 times a week. My mower was in the shop. I got it back 3 days later, cut the grass then the town voided the ticket. And low and behold, I forgot to cut the grass every time that year. Until a complaint was made and I received a ticket. Then I would cut it within 5 days and get the ticket voided.

My other neighbors thought it was hilarious, because I'm known for cutting their grass whenever they seem busy.

The neighbors that complained were also brand new, just moved in. They like to call the police for Bon fires and all the good stuff. My cool neighbors (everybody else) started have bon fires almost daily.

The bad neighbors moved. And we all laughed. It was awesome.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If that conversation about my grass happened in my drive way the outcome would have been far different. We set standards on our block and cut grass when it gets out of hand. Some rentals on the street and those folks do not understand that there is some maintenance involved when living in a "House"

We are not pushy about it and are met mostly with thanks and then they pick up the ball and run with it.

Andy 219, we have convinced more than a few busybody's to move on.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't even know if the neighbor across the road owns a mower. I've seen one guy out there that wasn't my neighbor on a mower in 2 years mulching leaves. I'm not sure if he even has any grass. Guess what. I don't care.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Go out in the front of your house some Sat. morning an clean your rifle, preferably an AK or AR.....I moved to a small town an did this for a couple weeks on my fronty porch.....lot of theiving in that town an kids would walk by an go silent....lived there 24 yrs. an never had anything stolin. Also I guy I worked with lived at his home for nearly 20 yrs. when the nieghbors complained about his yard....he let it get taller than theirs before he mowed, he lived in a nice neighborhood....an he was from Kentucky.....from that time on he came home after work every day an mowed ONE strip....after about 2 weeks it would be time to start over. So the yard was always uneven, been doing this for yrs.....I even made it a point over the yrs. to drive by when I was in that town an he wasn't lying about his yard. LOL.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I don't even know if the neighbor across the road owns a mower. I've seen one guy out there that wasn't my neighbor on a mower in 2 years mulching leaves. I'm not sure if he even has any grass. Guess what. I don't care.

My thoughts as well. People need to mind their own business.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Years ago, I moved into a neighborhood that had an HOA. Our house was brand new and the yard was just starting to grow, so I left it alone hoping the grass would go to seed and fill in the massive bare spots. I got a nasty gram, so I decided to cut my grass. At 1:00 in the morning. I fired up my 1,000 watt construction lights, and did the whole nine yards, mower, weed eater, leaf blower. That was the last time I got a nasty gram from the president who happened to live across the street. :D

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    ......a couple of the neighbors came up to me and started complaining about how tall my Grass was and that they didn't appreciate that I didn't take care of my property and let me grass grow so tall, I was suprised since I have never talked to any of my neighbors, I keep to myself. They went on to tell me that they were going to start a home owners association to make people like me take care of their property to their standards.......

As you've never spoken to your neighbors, I wouldn't let it concern me. They cannot institute an HOA in your neighborhood without the consent of you and your neighbors. Unless your neighbors have serious issues of the condition of your neighborhood, your neighbors won't be receptive to another fee for a quasi-governmental entity that can otherwise be handled by local government.

If they continue to hassle you, print out a copy of your local governmental ordinances and be sure to call the police or your local building codes department as applicable, each time the offending neighbors violate an ordinance. Turnabout is fair play.

All else fails, engage in covert ops and make their life truly miserable. Apply purple as required.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Our neighbor's dog jumps the fence and craps in our yard. They know she does this and do not offer or make an attempt to clean it up. Nowadays, I throw it back in their yard, aimming for the above ground pool. I'm 3 for 3! :D

Top Bottom