• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Housefire vs waterhose? My money is on the housefire.

The guy was given a chance to leave peacefully, for his own safety. After looking at the pics, those houses were very, very close together. The guy, by going back, proved he wasnt going to listen to police. So police are supposed wrastle around with a guy feet away from an active fire? Sorry bro, I'm not taking that risk. I would have tased him too.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake

The guy was given a chance to leave peacefully, for his own safety. After looking at the pics, those houses were very, very close together. The guy, by going back, proved he wasnt going to listen to police. So police are supposed wrastle around with a guy feet away from an active fire? Sorry bro, I'm not taking that risk. I would have tased him too.

Please state the IC which give you that right?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

Wouldn't it have been easier to just turn off the water?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Please state the IC which give you that right?

IC doesn't give anybody any rights. The government or its agents doesn't have rights either. The IC does provide the government and/or its agents authority in specific circumstances.

However, I agree with your sentiment that police force in this instance was likely excessive.....given the facts outlined in the story.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    If a homeowner wants to put himself in danger protecting his home, what gives the 'state' a right to pull him 'out' of said danger?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    If a homeowner wants to put himself in danger protecting his home, what gives the 'state' a right to pull him 'out' of said danger?

As stated above, the state has no rights, but they do have authority.

Was authority lawfully exercised under Florida law when the police ordered the man to cease his efforts and retreat away from the fire? Probably. Though the use of the taser, is likely to be deemed over the top.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011

I completely agree. Leave it up to the person(s) if they so choose to help save their own property... This makes me very angry. I felt the same way about how HS would only let people into their homes around that blast the other day a few at a time while being monitored. Its Their HOUSE. Let them to their own possible fates...

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012

I spent 38 years in the fire service before I retired. If a civilian tries to keep a fire from spreading to his house, I say go for it. It doesn't take a lot of water to protect structres exposed to a fire. The further apart the structures are, the more likely he would be successful. All you have to do it spray water on the exposed combustible materials. The type of construction also matters. A brick house is less of an exposure hazard than say a wood shake or wood frame house.

If he gets hot enough, and he will, he'll give it up and leave. Personally, I don't blame the guy. He at least wanted to give it a try. I also see the cops' point of view. 99% of the time they do the right thing. Let me up that percentage to 99.99%. I'm sure they were just trying to get the guy out of there without getting themselves injured. The last I heard, their uniforms are not Nomex or any other fire retardant material.

Just my two cents worth.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    As stated above, the state has no rights, but they do have authority.

Was authority lawfully exercised under Florida law when the police ordered the man to cease his efforts and retreat away from the fire? Probably. Though the use of the taser, is likely to be deemed over the top.
    Unlikely. They could have unloaded on him with their sidearms and patrol rifles and only the public would think it was "over the top". They'd get to sit at a desk for a week or two and then be right back out on the streets. "We thought the spray nozzle was a gun".

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    According to the story, the firefighters weren't on-scene yet. In that case, I say let the guy have at it. Once the firefighters arrive though you need to get out of the way so they can properly extinguish the fire.

Top Bottom