• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    After years of doing computer service work I got lazy and bought a machine rather than build due to lack of time. So I got an Alienware (AKA High end Dell). Worst decision of my life. Luckily the motherboard fried before the one year warranty was over. After replacing the board and cpu twice the computer was functional again. Now several months later I just got done ripping this POS apart again. The power switch is fubar. :xmad:
    I know these wear out over time, but I only use it once or twice a month. I always put the computer in sleep mode and "wake" it with a keyboard press. So until I rifle through the garage and find a switch I have to hot wire my computer to start and shut down!
    Dell still sucks.

cbowman75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2011
    Marion
    I finally built my own comp. The dell i had before that was almost non-upgradeable and the fans in it didn't last 6 months. Among a host of other problems I had with it. Needless to say my days of dealing with Dell are finally over.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    Building my server and the firearms I lost in the boating accident depleted my cash. Spring may be time to build a new machine and give this turd away.

David202

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    i hate retail machines. i can build a budget gaming rig thats better outfitted for less money than some HP POS.

This. I have a Dell laptop (and I bought a nice warranty for that so I don't have to deal with it) but I will go back to building desktops after this this gets outdated. I like the flexibility and customizations that are possible when you built it yourself.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    This. I have a Dell laptop (and I bought a nice warranty for that so I don't have to deal with it) but I will go back to building desktops after this this gets outdated. I like the flexibility and customizations that are possible when you built it yourself.

like a big portion of the tech crowd i've moved on to tablets. i've had several, and some feel more comfy in my lap or desk than others. my last laptop has been deported to the garage, where it serves duty as a TV or looking up microfiche with grease coated fingers. half the buttons don't work anymore, hence why i've given up things like "punctuation" and "spelling"

my poor keyboard skills makes me look hip anyway, and makes me feel young when i jump on facebook and the like.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The trouble with homebrew computers, is they leak RF all over the place, which plays hell on radio reception, scanner reception, and makes a noise thumbprint that can be seen for literally miles.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    The trouble with homebrew computers, is they leak RF all over the place, which plays hell on radio reception, scanner reception, and makes a noise thumbprint that can be seen for literally miles.

source? my microwave draws less power and interferes more with my equipment.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    No surprise considering

Cordless phone: 2.4 Ghz < 1w
    Bluetooth: 2.4 Ghz < 1w
    Wireless mouse: 2.4 Ghz < 1w
    Wifi Router: 2.4 Ghz < 1w

Microwave ovens are 2.45 Ghz & >700-1675w... close enough in frequency and high enough in energy to overwhelm nearby 2.4 Ghz devices.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    My MX15 is the best machine I have ever had. Bought it just prior to Dell asimilating Alienware, never missed a lick. No blue screens or any other glitches. Only had the case opened once to change out the original 4 g memory for 8.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    My MX15 is the best machine I have ever had. Bought it just prior to Dell asimilating Alienware, never missed a lick. No blue screens or any other glitches. Only had the case opened once to change out the original 4 g memory for 8.

You hit the nail on the head. Alienware was an awesome brand before dell bought it. I had hoped they were still separate parts sources when I bought mine. I was unfortunate, they had screwed with the parts on my model.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Computers in general spew RF. The frequencies are higher now, but I used to have to modify the heck out of the cases and cables to get commercial boxes quiet enough to tune -120dBm receivers at 150 and 450MHz inside the same cage. That was back in the 286 days, though.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The only Dell's I would ever use are the precision series. We have several at work that are 10+ years old and still running.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

lolwut? How would this be any different than a store bought computer?

Also, OP...I had a power switch go bad and just swapped the reset and power buttons on the motherboard. Just an idea for ya. Wasn't worth the trouble, to me, to mess with trying to replace it since I put mine to sleep all the time like you.

Top Bottom