calling the non-emergency line / dispatch for a police department?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm trying to find what is commonly referred to as a "non-emergency" line for Westfield police department. What I find on their website is a number for their department (not open on Sunday) and a dispatch number. I have heard from a neighbor or two that in Westfield they will come out for an unlock if you lock your keys in your car. Not many still do that and I don't blame them :yesway:.

Trying not to look like more of an idiot than your run of the mill idiot that locks his keys in his car, I would like to know which to call beforehand?

Any professional or thieves in training on INGO want to give my car a try? :D

It is locked in my own driveway and I don't need it until tomorrow morning so I've tried to get in myself. I was able to make a slim Jim of sorts and was able to get it to hit the unlock button on both the drivers and passengers side but apparently there is a safety of some sort because that will not unlock it?:xmad:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Just call dispatch. That's what MOST places consider their non-emergency number. This is not exactly true in Indy, but most places it is. Smaller departments basically use dispatch for an answering service when the office is closed.

Or, just buy AAA for the future.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I can get in. You'll have a mess to clean up and a nice little bill, but you'll have your keys.

Heck, I'd do it for free!

layers.jpg

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    + another 1 for Westfield PD. Here and gone already. He make quick work of it. Thanks officers, specifically Westfield this time but most all of you would have been just as professional and kind.

Now, I'm going to take my newly accessed car and go speeding to commit a crime.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I can get in. You'll have a mess to clean up and a nice little bill, but you'll have your keys.

Heck, I'd do it for free!

layers.jpg

I wouldn't charge him either and seeing as how you're on Saturn, I'm probably a little closer.
    Hammer.jpg

Funny thing is I had already started calculating the cost of a window vs the cost of a weekend call to a locksmith or similar service. The car is pushing almost 300K miles so just having to replace the weather stripping in the door would likely total out the car from an insurance value standpoint. :):

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Did they make you sign a waiver? Some do, just curious.

The dispatch lady had a verbal disclaimer that I had to agree to on the phone. It was a sentence, and more of a statement. I don't even remember it being so official that she asked me to "verbally acknowledge" or anything. It was more of a "Just so you know the WPD or any of it's affiliates are not responsible for damage...".

The car is parked in my driveway so I'm sure they had 10 methods of confirming who I am but from my perspective he didn't really do anything to confirm it was my car while on the scene. I'm sure my addy, and having given my info to dispatch, he pulled my license to confirm it. It isn't like it was sitting in a grocery store parking lot.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I like to use wire coat hangers. My fees come at a higher expense now that these hangers are getting harder to find.

Also with the new buttons in weird places like center of dash, it's more time consuming for me.

*I'll throw this in for free: I always tell my customers after I have unlocked their cars to get a key made and put it in their wallet/purse.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    If you are a AAA member, they have free lockout service on some types of memberships, maybe all, and they also give you a plastic door key that is connected to a credit card sized card. You just keep it in your wallet.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    If you are a AAA member, they have free lockout service on some types of memberships, maybe all, and they also give you a plastic door key that is connected to a credit card sized card. You just keep it in your wallet.
    Really? I've been a member for ten years and this is the first I've heard of this! I have the expensive package too, because I have family on it. I want one!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Really? I've been a member for ten years and this is the first I've heard of this! I have the expensive package too, because I have family on it. I want one!
    Yes. My wife is a big wig with Hoosier motor club, it's available to any member for the asking, but not all branches have the cutting machines.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom