• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Well, I've or should I say Santa has broken down and decided to get the first family pet. My kids are 8 year old (son), 6 year old and 20 month old daughters. I decided on a full blooded akc registered Boxer coming from 4 championship blood line. His tail will be docked, but my question is should I get his ears done? Ive heard people say it is cruel and others say that they look better. Also, does anyone have any recomendations on food, exercise, and obedience training, also vets in the Westfield/Carmel/Noblesville area?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Was hoping there would be a pet section but didn't see anything. Hope this section works?

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Boxer's are great dogs. Decent size, good guard dog with many people presuming them to be viscious, but they're very loving and good with kids.
    But honestly, you've got to get it's ears done. You'll spend the next 9-12 years explaining why your boxer looks funny.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Boxer's are great dogs. Decent size, good guard dog with many people presuming them to be viscious, but they're very loving and good with kids.
    But honestly, you've got to get it's ears done. You'll spend the next 9-12 years explaining why your boxer looks funny.

I don't really agree with "you've got to get it's ears done". I think it looks fine either way but doing it so you don't have to explain why the dog looks funny isn't something I'd care much about. Natural ears give them a look that fits their usual goofy nature.

As far as exercise, every boxer I've been around has loved chasing a ball all day. You'll get tired before they do.

The people over here will be able to answer just about any questions you could come up with.

Boxer Board

jerp239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I have owned and shown boxers and I will tell you that they look much less goofy (for lack of a better term) with their ears done. In saying that if you do get them done be very diligent in cleaning, taping, and reposting the ears for SEVERAL weeks after the surgery. Nothing will make you more mad than paying the money to have them done only for them to not stand. Do your research and find a ruputable vet that has lots of experience with clipping ears.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    An undocked boxer is an excellen, good looking and great addition to any family. We really need to change our mindset with regards to docking an animal. Years back, after fostering a PB with docked ears he hated going outside when it rained. I learned that the docked ears served no protection from the rain. Something to consider if your an active family.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you're planning on showing the dog then yes, you want the ears done. If not then who cares? A purebred dog is about a certain "look" in the show world and I've never understood that. To me, a dog that's never had any needless amputations (for lack of a better word) is much more pure than a dog that's been hacked on. Whether or not it has goofy ears and a tail won't change how good or bad of a dog it is. Just my :twocents:

Ultimately your choice but if you do decide to get it done make sure it's done by someone who has experience with it and knows what they're doing.

dmazzio

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Danville
    Being a professional dog trainer for pet owners I've been around thousands of dogs and doing the ears is a matter of personal preference, doesn't change the personality one way or the other, but I'm with Redneck on this, if you're not going to enter the dog in the "Beauty Pageant" ring why bother.

Another word of advice; just because a dog comes from "champion" bloodlines does not necessarily make it a good family dog. Be sure to ask the breeder a lot of questions and be sure to meet at least one in not both of the parents to see what kind of personalities they have.

Remember good breeders:
    1) Breed for the betterment of the breed
    2) Breed for health and temperament first
    3) Never let anyone take a pup from its mother before 8 weeks of age

There are sooo many people out there just breeding supposed championship dogs for money and the pump out crap dogs, I see it all the time.

Good Luck

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Just my opinions here, but I have never been around a "pure bread" dog that was that great of a dog. I'm 38 years old, and have had dogs my whole life, some of a certain breed, and some just dogs. It seems that the best ones are the free ones, or a rescue dog. I have one dog now that was free, came from croy creek traders fair, may have some boxer or pit in her but just a trace. She is a great dog and the best guard dog there is, but awsm with kids. My other dog was a rescue, he's a yellow dog and not sure at all what he is comprised of, but he is missing a leg and the best buddy a guy could ask for. He goes everywhere with me. He goes to work with me every day, and has even been known to go the bar with me. He is a house dog and best friends with my daughter, who is 7. He is about like having a 7 year old with me all the time anyway. His name is Buddy, and my second 3legged dog, my other one was a rescue also and he got old and died about a year ago. His name was Steve.
    Like I said, just my opinion, but I think the best dogs are free, or the ones that really need help and know it. Another opinion, I would never cut anything off of a dog unless it had to come off. A horrific injury is one thing, but just to give them a "look"? Nope, I don't think it's right.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Boxers can be a handful. I had a male that flunked two training courses. He would behave when it suited him and I could never trust him off leash. He was smart and knew right from wrong, but a hard guy to control. My biggest problem was walking him. He didn't seem to mind small dogs, but whenever a larger dog was in range he went nuts. Once we were at a training area and he saw a Husky. He tugged so hard on his long line that it snapped and he proceeded to attack the Husky. Very embarrassing. I seriously considered hiring a pro to train him . That said, he was great with kids and had amazing energy.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    No on the ears. Get his manhood snipped (fairly early), and make him an inside pet. We are big on crate training for housebreaking in our castle.

Great choice of a big hearted, loving & protective dog.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Is there a reason why you want a "purebred, registered, etc etc" dog? If you aren't going to show the dog, a rescue pet is the way to go. IMHO

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    We have a female boxer that just turned 6. She has papers but her ears were not docked just her tail. I love the floppy ears with her goofy facial expressions and personality. She has been a great dog with our family. My only advise with to crate train and work hard with them early. We got ours when she was 9 weeks and worked hard with her. She potty trained easy and she doesn't jump or go crazy in our house.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Just my opinions here, but I have never been around a "pure bread" dog that was that great of a dog. I'm 38 years old, and have had dogs my whole life, some of a certain breed, and some just dogs. It seems that the best ones are the free ones, or a rescue dog. I have one dog now that was free, came from croy creek traders fair, may have some boxer or pit in her but just a trace. She is a great dog and the best guard dog there is, but awsm with kids. My other dog was a rescue, he's a yellow dog and not sure at all what he is comprised of, but he is missing a leg and the best buddy a guy could ask for. He goes everywhere with me. He goes to work with me every day, and has even been known to go the bar with me. He is a house dog and best friends with my daughter, who is 7. He is about like having a 7 year old with me all the time anyway. His name is Buddy, and my second 3legged dog, my other one was a rescue also and he got old and died about a year ago. His name was Steve.
    Like I said, just my opinion, but I think the best dogs are free, or the ones that really need help and know it. Another opinion, I would never cut anything off of a dog unless it had to come off. A horrific injury is one thing, but just to give them a "look"? Nope, I don't think it's right.

I agree on all counts! My current "best friend" I didn't pay a dime for. I went and got my dog when he was 5 weeks old. This poor woman was desperate as she'd been bottle feeding 7 puppies for weeks (and they all lived, too!). He's been the most amazing dog I could ever ask for. I have nothing against purebreds but I've had my share of them and my share of mutts. I'll take the mutts any day. Even if it is a weird looking husky greyhound mix that people think I'm starving to death. :):

And as far as chopping parts off of animals, I do agree with spaying and neutering. In most cases, it does wonders for their temperament and it also prevents unwanted pregnancies if your pet does happen to get loose. Aside from that though, unless it's medically necessary I don't see the need for it.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My father has 4 Boxers. All with their natural ears. If everyone here thinks that makes them look goofy, then I would have to say they look *right* - because they ARE goofy breeds. ;)

Great dogs - but a real handful in packs. Its very difficult to walk in the front door when I visit home.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Boxers are high energy.... And hard-headed.

You'll have your work cut out for you with the twin toddlers and a boxer (who'll forever be a "toddler")

-J-

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    As an aside, you might also want to check with your insurance company. Some homeowners policies (or renters policies) can be cancelled out from under you if you have the wrong breed. Boxers may be on the line. Insurance companies are often touchy about certain breeds. Won't hurt to check with yours. Beats being uninsured.

As for the ears. Don't dock. It's cruel and unnecessary.

daedrian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The thing with the ears is personal preference. Here is a picture of our boxer and a friend's boxer, neither has the ears docked. But our friend's boxer has these weird ears that stick half way up anyway, he might look better with docked ears. My Maya, however, looks adorable with her floppy ears.

299436_10101814095759488_431545440_n.jpg

Top Bottom