• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoldnBullet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    I am planning on attending Indiana DNR ICO recruit screening next month and am looking for inside advise on the recruiting and bootcamp portions of the process. 1. How will bootcamp be like? ISP Academy recruits get leave on weekends. Will this be the case for CO training? 2. What kind of application pool size to the number of slots they actually plan on filing in the end?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I took the exam a couple of times back in the 90's. They only had a handful of spots to fill each time, and hundreds of people showed up.

Good luck.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    When I looked into this a year ago, I was told there are precious few posts open and you have to be flexible enough to go anywhere in the state to where the post is open (as in move there if you don't already live close).

Good luck! Let us know how it goes..

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am planning on attending Indiana DNR ICO recruit screening next month and am looking for inside advise on the recruiting and bootcamp portions of the process. 1. How will bootcamp be like? ISP Academy recruits get leave on weekends. Will this be the case for CO training? 2. What kind of application pool size to the number of slots they actually plan on filing in the end?

My brother is the conservation officer for Dekalb County. I will see if I can get a few answers for you. I know his bootcamp was nothing like mine (Army). Still, I hope you like to run. ;)

GoldnBullet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    I took the exam a couple of times back in the 90's. They only had a handful of spots to fill each time, and hundreds of people showed up.

Good luck.

That does not sound too optimistic. The test now in one day, with the written test first, followed by a physical test that includes swimming. Hopefully the physical part will narrow down the field some.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Well, I spoke with my brother.

"Bootcamp" is:

4 week recruit school

15 week Law Enforcement Academy

12 weeks Field training

He said there is roughly 1200 people trying to get 10 positions. They hold tryouts in three different locations in the state on the same day.

On test day you have a written test. Then a break for lunch. During lunch they grade the written test and those who pass move onto the PT test. A 1 1/2 mile run is in the PT test. He said the DNR has several good videos on Utube about the recruiting process and job. Good luck.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Years ago in 1983 when I got a AS degree in Law Enforcement we called the CO guys Fish Cops because of the tests they had to take. Few people realize a Indiana Conservation Officer has the most arrest powers of any other Indiana law enforcement department in the state. And most of the conservation officers are really really good at sneaking around in the woods. I wouldn't mess to much with them as a life rule.

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    Years ago in 1983 when I got a AS degree in Law Enforcement we called the CO guys Fish Cops because of the tests they had to take. Few people realize a Indiana Conservation Officer has the most arrest powers of any other Indiana law enforcement department in the state. And most of the conservation officers are really really good at sneaking around in the woods. I wouldn't mess to much with them as a life rule.

I was fortunate to grow up across the street from a CO, and now that I'm an "adult" we have become great friends. I have spent many days in the field with him and a couple of his colleagues, and they are darn good at sneaking around in the woods! A little unnerving for unarmed me approaching armed men rather clandestinely, but great experiences nonetheless.

I am particularly aware of the competition for the few spots they have open during any given process, as I went through the initial testing in 2011. I had the opportunity to continue in the process, but at the end of the day I couldn't justify leaving law school (though it was TOUGH to turn down). Now I guess I just have to decide whether I want to help the COs in the prosecutor's office or use my knowledge of their super secret tactics on the defense side. :):

I wish you the best and hope you reach your goals! And who knows, at some point we may be in court together on a poaching or BUI case.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    don't let the number of applicants get in your head. The hiring process I went through saw as many as three thousand applicants. They hired 21 of us. Just be your best and don't worry about the rest.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom