• Total voters

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Just wondering....
    I realize that once you get up around Indy, people start sounding northern. I also know, from experience, that many from the northern areas think us southern boys sound like hicks.

I was wondering what percentage of INGO members thought they had some sort of Southern accent.

I evidently do.
    I posted a youtube video once and one of the comments included the phrase "stupid hick."

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I do notice a difference but I think even southern Indiana folk sound a little northern. Then again, I'm from east Tennessee so pretty much everybody north of the mason dixon sounds northern to me...:dunno:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I do notice a difference but I think even southern Indiana folk sound a little northern. Then again, I'm from east Tennessee so pretty much everybody north of the mason dixon sounds northern to me...:dunno:

Yes, the true S. Indiana accent is a bastardized southern accent, unless you moved from another southern area. The south eastern corner had a huge influx from Eastern Kentucky back in WWII days, primarily due the Indiana Army Ammunition Plant and other industries drawing families who didn't want their boys to die in the mines (my father included).

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Overexposure?

I have been told that I do but this might possibly be due to the fact that other than being born in,and now returned to Indiana, I have been a resident of Alabama for about one year,Texas about ten months,Georgia two years and South Carolina for eight years y'all. :) (We need not mention the two years in SOUTH Viet-Nam I guess)? :D

PS: That sweet little,"Yellow Rose", I married might also be an influence. :tumbleweed: :wwub:

Last edited:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You had better all have good thick accents. I'm not talking a rustic southern twang either. I'm talking whiskey drinking, knee slapping, toothless banjo playing thick otherwise i will be disappointed.

I'm fairly certain I won't disappoint. Although I'm not sure about the whiskey. That's for sissies. I prefer the shine :D

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    This is because three major US dialects span Indiana. This map gives a general idea, although as we all know Mountain Southern ranges well into Southern Indiana whereas Great Lakes occurs well into Northwestern Indiana, neither of which is clearly indicated:
    JwPhR.gif

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I went to Wisconsin a little while ago, and was asked multiple times if I was from the Carolinas. I took it jun stride with a smile.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've lived down south most of my life but most people don't pick up on the accent. It's a different story when I go back though!

Funny story, a former neighbor asked me if I was from the south, I told her yes. She said she was a southern girl also, I asked here from where, she said Bloomington. I told her that I was from a little further south, she asked "Evansville?".:laugh:

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Dad gummit, Im on the black line! Do I speak Midland or Mountain southern?

I actually have met people out of state guess I was a south eastern Hoosier from my accent. I was blown away. The older couple said it was very distinct.

You want and accent, talk to someone from eastern Kentucky.:D

Top Bottom