• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I'm getting everything ready around the house today to prepare for the induction tonight. My 3 year old will be home with grandma while we are away. Any tips on adding a new baby to a family with an only child?

Were thinking of naming him Matthew Thomas (Thomas is my name), but its much harder for me to name a boy. Any ideas that might go well with a 4 syllable "ski" name?

He will complete our family as I just recently got snipped.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm getting everything ready around the house today to prepare for the induction tonight. My 3 year old will be home with grandma while we are away. Any tips on adding a new baby to a family with an only child?

Were thinking of naming him Matthew Thomas (Thomas is my name), but its much harder for me to name a boy. Any ideas that might go well with a 4 syllable "ski" name?

He will complete our family as I just recently got snipped.

First things first, Congrats!!! If you've already got one child then you already know what's coming. The only thing I'd say is to make a special point of making it clear to the first one that you still love them and that the family has gotten bigger. Our first one didn't get too jealous when our second came around, but it does happen. You should probably be prepared for the 3 yr old to "revert" to some baby habits for attention or thinking that since the baby does it it's acceptable, but it'll be a quick phase. The biggest thing I'd recommend is soaking up every moment and thank God for the blessing you've been given stewardship of. Love your family and everything else will fall into place.

We just had our third almost a month ago and I've contacted a local Dr who is special ordering a large enough size of surgical bolt cutters to "fix" me even though I keep reminding my wife that I'm not broken.

By the way "Adam" is an awesome name, and it's Biblical. Easy to write on forms for a lifetime with only four letters. Just saying. :)

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Whatever you do, DO NOT let them talk you in to coming and having that baby! The male body is not designed to go into labor! It will hurt more than you can imagine! Think peeing a boulder out! :D

Good luck with your new brat! Mine will be 3 on Christmas.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Congratulations!

As far as advice: enjoy it while you can. You'll figure it out. I was amazed how different my two were when they were both little. We thought we had it all figured out before the second one came along--wrong!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just don't forget about the three year old. Buy them presents and special treats on a semi-regular basis so they don't feel left out. Also let them help with small, new baby stuff. (Bring me a diaper, burp cloth, go get your mom out of bed, I need help. Stuff like that.)

Congratulations!

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Well we're here in the hospital. Induction has been started and Mom got a sleeping pill. I'm wired and not ready for bed yet. I know I need to sleep because the last time we had a baby I didn't sleep for almost 50 hours and when we brought her home it was really tough to say the least.

On a side note, we both saw a shooting star as we turned into the hospital parking lot. Thats extra rare up here near the city...Hope its good luck!

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Definitely use your older one for help! My toddler loves to help me. She brings me bottles, diapers, wipes, throws diapers away and laundry in the hamper. She does sometimes revert to baby stuff though. I've noticed that when my youngest (she's 11 months old now) started "babbling" my toddler would repeat it. She also cries when the baby cries and laughs when the baby laughs. If the baby says "da da", so does she. Like so many others have said, be sure to let your older one know that you don't love them any less! Kids can get super jealous at that age. Also keep in mind that all kids are different even as infants. I've noticed huge differences in all of mine from just a few weeks old. That said, enjoy your new little one and get as much sleep as you can. On a side note, today is also my daughter's 3rd birthday. Watch out....they grow fast :)

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Jacob Thomas arrived today at 4:58pm. 7 lbs 12 oz. I can already tell he is going to awesome! Cant wait to get him runnin' & gunnin'. His first 1911 is at the gun smith now getting worked over. I will of course be function checking it for the next 10 to 12 years...

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Jacob Thomas arrived today at 4:58pm. 7 lbs 12 oz. I can already tell he is going to awesome! Cant wait to get him runnin' & gunnin'. His first 1911 is at the gun smith now getting worked over. I will of course be function checking it for the next 10 to 12 years...

A hardy 'Congrats!', Dad!

I'm just glad you didn't name him 'Track'.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    His first 1911 is at the gun smith now getting worked over. I will of course be function checking it for the next 10 to 12 years...

LOL, I keep function checking my daughters Colt 6920 for her too. Shortly after she was born I came home one day and told my wife that I bought my little girl a pony. Then I showed her the colt symbol on the receiver and she gave me that "wife" look. I figure that rifle is mine to protect her with until she marries a man I approve. At that time I'll buy him a brand new one and charge him with the duty of keeping her as safe as he can.

Our second child (boy) got an 11-87 for pheasant hunting. The problem is I have to be proficient with the weapon and hunting myself before I can get him started right? :)

You know as a demagraphic, it's amazing what gun people will use an excuse to buy another gun. You should see what kind of AR I'm building for my 4 week old little girl, LOL. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom