• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    The concept is simple, they are "feeling out" trade or sale opportunities. However, in a normal classified listing, you are not required to accept any trade or cash offers, full price or otherwise. So the question is open, why do so many people write "feeler" on their listing? I just noticed one today that said he would put out a feeler because there were so many others. Then bumps it 8-9 times. Are these not simply normal ads? Why do people feel the need to describe them as "feelers". Mind boggled I guess!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Note: This is a "feeler" response in case people aren't interested in what I have to say.:D

Feeler ads on INGO make no sense to me either.:dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I always took it as a negotiation position. I am not really wanting to sell this item, so I won't be dickered down any.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I might respond to this, maybe not now, but possibly later sometime. I just need time to think about it, since I already made my decision. But I shall continue to accept offers on on an item that I may or may not have listed or have thought about listing.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Add posters may in fact be large insects.

LongFeelers.jpg

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I think it's a "I may want to sell or trade this item if someone offers me enough money or something cool enough for it". It's basically for when you like something you own but are not necessarily in love with the item. You don't really need the money but if offered enough or given the opportunity you might like something else better. You just don't know what the something else may be until someone else mentions or offers it to you.

And some of you think women are fickle, you guys are just as bad. :)

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Very recently one of our mods mentioned that feeler ads would not be allowed on INGO and would be pulled. I guess the correct thing to do when you see them is to .......REPORT THEM!!!!!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I think some of them are "my wife is making me try to sell this because she thinks I have too many and she is the warden" types of posts. I've seen some "feeler" ads with stupid high prices. If they can't sell for what they tell wifey it is worth, they can't afford to get rid of them.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Ok, all answers kind of explain them, but they still make no sense. You can be non commiting, stick to high price, only trade for something you really want, etc in any ad! I have concluded that said 'feeler ads' on ingo or otherwise, aren't even a thing!

Here we go from urban dictionary...

"
    A tentative suggestion designed to elicit the reactions of others. Generally "feeler" is a term used when selling something when the seller isn't sure if they want to sell it or keep it. They might post an ad saying with the forewarning, feeler, when they are on the fence about getting rid of something to see people's response and offers. Many times feelers are put up for sale and sold, but sometimes the owner decides to keep.

It's essentially like putting your toes in the water to feel the temperature before jumping in all the way. Sometimes we get in, sometimes we don't."

So... Why would a feeler ad get bumped 10 times? At what point does it become a regular ad? Discuss.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Ok, all answers kind of explain them, but they still make no sense. You can be non commiting, stick to high price, only trade for something you really want, etc in any ad! I have concluded that said 'feeler ads' on ingo or otherwise, aren't even a thing!

Here we go from urban dictionary...

"
    A tentative suggestion designed to elicit the reactions of others. Generally "feeler" is a term used when selling something when the seller isn't sure if they want to sell it or keep it. They might post an ad saying with the forewarning, feeler, when they are on the fence about getting rid of something to see people's response and offers. Many times feelers are put up for sale and sold, but sometimes the owner decides to keep.

It's essentially like putting your toes in the water to feel the temperature before jumping in all the way. Sometimes we get in, sometimes we don't."

So... Why would a feeler ad get bumped 10 times? At what point does it become a regular ad? Discuss.

I think the ones that get bumped as often as possible fit into the "my wife is looking over my shoulder and if I don't pretend I'm selling this, I'm in big, BIG trouble". The ones that get a bump every week or every 2 weeks are in that feeler category that want to find that special trade.

Top Bottom