• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    So, I'm incredibly proud of my son today. My son won the "Floyd Strong" Essay Contest at his school. The assignment was to write an Essay about a major challenge you have overcome. So, a little backstory...

During her pregnancy my wife was very sick with preeclampsia. Exactly 1 month before her due date, she became very, very sick and was hospitalized. Her blood pressure was dangerously high, and her blood oxygen level dangerously low. Her condition was asphyxiating my as yet unborn son, and they feared inducing her into a natural birth might kill them both. So they decided to do an emergency C-section. My son spent the first 3 weeks of his life in the NICU. Anyway, he was born with a developmental disability. He began his school career in a special education class. He then progressed to an integrated class where it is a mixture of special education students and non-developmentally disabled students. Finally he worked his way into general education classes. This took a lot of hard work on his part. These days he is tops of his class in math, and reading, but he is still a little socially clumsy. Anyway, he wrote his essay on how he conquered his disability and is now ahead of his age/grade level in all subjects. He was the winner, beating out 877 other essays (total enrollment in his school is 878).

As you can tell, He's a bit of a ham...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Awesome job! I work in an elementary school and I always enjoy hearing about the accomplishments of young ones. I'm very proud of him! Congrats!

Last edited:

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    You have every reason to be proud, and so does your son. :yesway:

Pass this thought along to your son from me. :cool:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    That is excellent!!!

It is important to tell kids to never give up. Persistence is the key and will build confidence that will last a lifetime.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Very well done!

fireworks17.jpg

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Thank you everyone for your positive and supportive replies. We work together, he and I on his academics, but the lion's share of it is him. He wants to be the best, and he pours his little heart into everything 100%.

OK, that is awesome. How well does he shoot that air rifle though?

Ha, can't go to the range till he's 12, and it's not exactly the sort of gun you can just pop off in the backyard, know what I mean? He's got one going under the tree though for Christmas.

Buy that boy a shotgun for Christmas.

As much as I'd love to, it's not possible sir.
    <~~~explanation located over there

It's driving me nuts. What is he holding? Some kind of sweet essay prize?

Nah, just some flash cards. There's gonna be a ceremony for the top 5 Essays next week. I think they're getting plaques.

Top Bottom