• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    Several years ago, Michelob was considered a premium beer. Somewhere along the line, when I was not paying attention, it morphed into something I don't recognize.

Can one of you beer experts direct me to the beer made today that tastes closest to Michelob of 1985?

(Please do us all a favor & withhold your anti-Michelob comments.)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Michelob is still around I don't think it changed just not very popular with all the Microbrews being just a little more. Stay away from the mich calorie counters and mich dark ect.

I used to get mich in a keg. I think it tastes best that way, Neighbor had a keg cooler. Find a good pub and get one on tap. The six pack at the local store may have set around a few years.

You want a cool, light and somewhat mild pilsner. Bud light, coors light might be close but just not a light on the beer taste. I liked Michelob as a young man because it tasted like water (Light on taste of beer) and the ladies would drink more of it than the heavier tasting bud's. little kings and strouh's we drank back then. Happy ladieswith more BAC normally made me a happy man.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Still around as far as I know, at least I know they make the Michelob Ultra because that's what I was drinking at the company Christmas party, it was on Tap. I'm usually a Coors light guy, but the Ultra tasted pretty good.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Mich classic is still available. You just have to look a little harder for it. Nowadays it seems all the "men" want a beer that is like having sex on a boat. F***ing near water.

I dont drink anything that says "light" "lite" or anyother way they want to screw up perfectly good beer.

If Im not drinking Guinness Im drinking Sam Adams. Just my :twocents:

427TriPowered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    when inbev bought ab they cut down august bush's michelob hop fields in idaho and now buy the least expensive in the global market... michelob was his baby... now its just another also brewed...

you will freak on all the beers that inbev has in their line up...

same thing with miller... its now miller coors molson...

inbev... most of them are not even listed here...

millercoorsmolson... they gotts more than this too...

some of those $8 six pack you think are micros... nope... comes out of the big breweries owned by one of these 2 players...

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Michelob still is available at the Walmart near me, and I think the Meijer. That's what I drink, so I am sure to buy some whenever I see it. Like someone said, though, Inbev is pretty much killing the brand off in favor of all the microbrews and other crap out there. Sorry, but the seasonal pumpkin spiced ginger bread microbrew just doesn't do it for me and if it has Ultra, Light, or Lite on the bottle I steer clear of it.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    When I used to throw darts years ago Michelob was my fav drink. I used to drink it in about every form it came in. Mich dry, Mich Light, and reg Mich.
    I thought I read it and Miller High Life were not going to be sold too much longer. :dunno: I never did understand why Mich cost more even though it was a domestic beer it was considered a premium beer or that is why they said it cost more.

Last edited:

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You may think I'm crazy for saying it, but Pabst Blue Ribbon still tastes like my favorite beers from the 80's (Michelob, Old Style, etc.), and I read somewhere that PBR still wins taste tests around the globe every now and then.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Mic was never premium beer; they just tried to market it as such.

If you just want a cheap buzz Steel Reserve is always there for you.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    If it weren't for Michelob, weekends wouldn't be here for us to enjoy. ;)

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    When I was in Iowa on biz a few years ago I found Michelob Classic Dark. In a pitcher it looked like Coke or Pepsi and it was Gooooood. I asked for it when I got back home and they didn't have a clue.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    When I was in Iowa on biz a few years ago I found Michelob Classic Dark. In a pitcher it looked like Coke or Pepsi and it was Gooooood. I asked for it when I got back home and they didn't have a clue.

That Classic Dark is some gooooodddd stuff! About the only domestic beer I could drink for a couple of years after coming back from Germany.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    If you like the darker, more flavorful beer try Shiner Bock. Still brewed in a small brewery in TX despite numerous attempts to drive it out by AB so they can sell everyone beerwater.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    She's right here.

images

Oh, wait, nevermind.....

Blind Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    In a van, down by the river
    Here's the major reason. Sales tanked on these brands and are being replaced by the "microbrew" beers under the major brands labels.

Here are the 8 beers with declining sales from24/7 Wall Street and Yahoo Finance:
    #1.) Michelob, 72% drop in sales since 2006.
    #2.) Michelob Light, 66% drop.
    #3.) Budweiser Select, 61% drop.
    #4.) Milwaukee’s Best, 57% drop.
    #5.) Old Milwaukee, 53% drop.
    #6.) Miller Genuine Draft, 52% drop.
    #7.) Miller High Life Light, 38% drop.
    #8.) Milwaukee’s Best Light, 36% drop.

If you’re a fan of imported beers, Amstel Light had the biggest drop in the past six years, down 48%.

On the other hand, Bud Light Platinum is less than one year old and has outperformed sales expectations. Shock Top has more than doubled in sales and Blue Moon is also doing its best sales ever.

Top Bottom