• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    At least it struck at an angle the generated enough heat to shatter the object. Sounds like that could've been kinda epic if its trajectory was closer to perpendicular. The pics I saw of the zinc factory hit looked pretty serious.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, just what did Russia do to **** off the NEO Space Gods? First Tunguska in 1908 and now Chelyabinsk in 2013. The whole nation might want to go on vacation in the 2120s at this rate.

The Blaze relates an unconfirmed report that Russian air defense blew it up with missiles at an altitude of 20 km. Not ****in' likely.

They're reporting nearly 1000 casualties from concussions and flying broken glass injuries.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This sucks. Russia always gets hit and we never do!

IIRC one hit somewhere near Indy in the 90s. And I remember one that they thought might have hit somewhere in northern IN about 10 years ago, my wife to be and I were camping down in Brown Co. and when it passed over it lit up the area bright as day.

ETA None of comparable size to this one though.

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    Something about the area around Chelyabinsk in Russia

By know you have heard about the meteor the fell in Russia early this morning.

About the size of an SUV, injuring over 1000 people.

Something about the area around Chelyabinsk is also home to nuclear and chemical weapons disposal facilities

Vladimir Chuprov of Greenpeace Russia noted that the area where the meteor exploded was 60 miles from the Mayak nuclear storage and disposal facility, which holds dozens of tons of weapons-grade plutonium.

He said the Russian government has underestimated potential risks of the region.

A chemical weapons disposal facility at Shchuchye in the Chelyabinsk region contains some 5,460 metric tons of nerve agent including sarin and VX, accounting for about 14 percent of the chemical weapons that Russia is committed to destroy.

It was not the big one that will pass over head tomorrow.

Wonders in the sky!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

This is why I'm wanting to be cremated. You die, a few thousand years later some 'archeologist' digs you up an parades you around for his benefit while people make up stories about who you were. I guess enough time doesn't make you a grave robber anymore. I just want a rune stone in ancient Norse telling about all my momentous accomplishments. The future can do with it what they did with all the other Viking rune stones...turn them into paving stones.

Top Bottom