• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Anyone know why my furnace is apparently leaking water down towards the bottom? The insulation is wet starting at the corner in the front and then down the left side. I guess you can follow the rust trail to see where it's originating from. I've looked around with a flashlight and can't really tell where it may be coming from, but obviously haven't done too much dis-assembly.

It's a Bryant Plus 80 gas furnace that is original to the house (1997). It was serviced in October 2012 and the tech told me it seemed to be pretty strong; I bought in 2009 and have had it serviced each year.

sIkqxG9.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    These are condensing furnaces. Could be a drain line issue or more serious than that. Drain looks to be open site so that is probably not the issue. You do need to have this looked into.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Are you sure it's water that is due to the heat running? Could it be left over from the air conditioning season? If so, could it be your coil is freezing up?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    These are condensing furnaces. Could be a drain line issue or more serious than that. Drain looks to be open site so that is probably not the issue. You do need to have this looked into.

I'm not familiar with this term...what is a condensing furnace?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Follow that plastic pipe which is the condensate drain and go inside the furnace and see if the hole in the condensate pan isnt plugged up with some really nasty dirt/mud/hair/you name it.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    If it were a left over stain, the insulation wouldn't be wet still would it?

My coworker's cousin did a couple of the services on the unit so I texted my coworker to pass the question along as well. And I should still be covered under the annual contract w/ the current company.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Follow that plastic pipe which is the condensate drain and go inside the furnace and see if the hole in the condensate pan isnt plugged up with some really nasty dirt/mud/hair/you name it.

I have had a leak in that plastic pipe from where it connects up to the furnace at the top, but that was during AC time. It's not wet up there now.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have had a leak in that plastic pipe from where it connects up to the furnace at the top, but that was during AC time. It's not wet up there now.

I think that is your condensate drain. There should be a pan under your AC coil to capture the water and then it drains down/out that PVC pipe. If the tray has come loose and the water is draining off the side of the tray rather than down the pipe, then that would explain water in there during cooling season.

It's a long shot, but I guess there's no way your AC is running at the same time your heat is, is there? I've had the heat running the same time I wanted the AC to run before.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Looks like a standard downflow. Do you have a humidifier located above the furnace? If so, the humidifiers require annual replacement of membranes or they will cause water issues

tpntch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy

An 80+ furnace is not condensing. 90+ with plastic flue pipes are condensing.

I think you should look above the furnace to see if it is a leak above.

If water is coming from inside the furnace, it is usually a sign that it is not drafting properly. The exhaust gases condense & run back down the flue. Check the connection at the inducer motor(the little fan on the exhaust) & the flue (exhaust pipe).

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    It's a long shot, but I guess there's no way your AC is running at the same time your heat is, is there? I've had the heat running the same time I wanted the AC to run before.

Uhhh... I don't think so. The thermostat has heat, cool, and off.

Looks like a standard downflow. Do you have a humidifier located above the furnace? If so, the humidifiers require annual replacement of membranes or they will cause water issues

Nope, no humidifier. First question my coworker asked.

Some Googling leads me to believe this will indeed be above my head. Furnaces are expensive and it's cold, so I think I'll let the pros check it out because things don't always work right after I've messed with them :)

Last edited:

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN

If water is coming from inside the furnace, it is usually a sign that it is not drafting properly. The exhaust gases condense & run back down the flue. Check the connection at the inducer motor(the little fan on the exhaust) & the flue (exhaust pipe).

The outside of it looks dry. Inside too. I think I'd have to rip the insulation off to get a better idea. It will probably need changed anyways since it has gotten wet, but I don't wanna do that right now.

FWIW, I'm sitting out in the garage now right after the furnace cycled off. I'm not hearing any dripping.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Though I've never had one of these before, a friend of mine did and I know one time he had this blower go out on him. It's been so long now, I don't remember what problems it was causing.

Uhhh... I don't think so. The thermostat has heat, cool, and off.

Like I said, it was a long shot. Besides, your outside unit would be running while your heat was cycling if it were a control malfunction--something you'd surely notice, I think.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There is a good chance it is not coming from the furnace.

I am going to ask if that is your water heater on the left of the photo? Can you show a photo that shows both the furnace and what is on the left and what that copper pipe is that goes down to but not inside the funnel in the floor? Does it go to the relief valve on your water heater?

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    There is a good chance it is not coming from the furnace.

I am going to ask if that is your water heater on the left of the photo? Can you show a photo that shows both the furnace and what is on the left and what that copper pipe is that goes down to but not inside the funnel in the floor? Does it go to the relief valve on your water heater?

The water heater is newer, manuf in week 48 2004. The lady I bought the house from replaced it just for good luck...

nNmvEGH.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not familiar with this term...what is a condensing furnace?

A condensing furnace cools the are exchanges so much heat from the spent combustion gases that the moisture condenses and has to be drained off. Combustion air has moisture in it and this is expanded in the flames to near steam or a vapor. As the air cools off the heat exchanger this vapor returns to a liquid state.
    Have you noticed the water the drips out of the exhaust on a cool morning until the catalytic converter gets up to temp....same process.
    My 95% furnace has a steady flow of water from the drain line when running. Almost as much as the A/C.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I just read the 80% part. I need to pay more attention. I was looking at the pic and relating to water from a furnace in the heating cycle. Just saw the "B" vent flu in the pic.

Top Bottom