• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    My younger, adult, 19 year old brother.
    He wants to join the Army National Guard. He is very physically fit, and did great on the pre-asvab. His recruiter has been really encouraging him to finish high school as well.
    He will have to miss some school in order to go to Basic Training, or something like that.
    In order to do this, the principal must sign a paper allowing him to go.
    During the request, he immediately said NO. Failure to do well currently was cited as the reason. Missing school will put him further behind schedule.
    This has really flustered him, and shot down his plans.
    He believes the military is his only shot at getting his life straightened out.

He does not want to drop out and join, and his recruiter said to not attempt it either.

What is the best way to get the principal to OK him joining? Is there any legal action that can be taken? By state law he doesn't even have to attend school, so why does the military need the principals signature? I understand the reason behind getting permission, because he needs to be allowed to make-up the work he missed. If he doesn't get permission to go, they will say it is an unexcused absence and he could face punishment, and not be able to make up missed work. So any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions?

If you need background info.

He has been "struggling" in high school for years.
    He does have a learning disability, and has been enrolled in special education since middle school. He has dyslexia, a bad case of it. At 16 years old, he asked me how to spell "bird", so I am not doubting that he has problems taking tests, and writing essays. He can read, not as well as most, but perfectly acceptable. He has been working on it.
    I believe he uses it as a crutch at times ( no time limits, extended deadlines, gets to use the resource room, etc ) and slacks off. His classmates say he listens to music, and draws most of the time he is in class. His teachers say he doesn't turn in work, but when asked, he says he forgot to bring it to class, but it's done. He has failed every class he has ever been in, almost. As a senior, he has the credits between a freshman/sophomore.
    His GC and principal believes he will graduate next year, not this one. He has been really working on it this year, taking tons of classes, and making up past ones online on NovaNet. He is barely passing, but working on it.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Has he taken the ASVAB yet? If not he needs to. Depening on his current score he may not qualify at this time. I would start with that.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Has he taken the ASVAB yet? If not he needs to. Depening on his current score he may not qualify at this time. I would start with that.

He has not taken the real ASVAB yet, only the pre-asvab his recruiter told him to take. After he was told he couldn't go, he hasn't mentioned anything else. I believe he scored 59. I will let him know to take the real ASVAB. Thanks!

I think the principal is making a mistake. He has never had to work towards a goal before. I believe the military can fix his discipline, focus, and goal oriented problems.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Seems to me like this is a recruiter problem to me. What he's trying to do used to be called a "split op" back in my day. Basic before senior year and AIT right after graduation. With that in mind there's plenty of bases in the US where a guy could go get through that phase of training first and have a decent chance at finding a really accomodating schedule. I would press the recruiter to get with the guys at MEPS and have them sort this mess out.

By the way, if I were the principle I'd be proud the give the kid some time away from school. It's not like he's going to be partying and goofing off. He's going to be watching the ground come real close to his face, then go away to about arms length, then it's going to repeat over and over and over. Tell the young man to keep his head up and wish him the best of luck from me.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    How long he has in school depends on a few factors. He is 19, so he has to be out by 21. So that leaves basically one more full school year after this one. He is trying to graduate, but he has a ton of online classes to complete. He is barely making it right now. I think he really sees his error in getting in trouble and not turning in his assignments over the years. So he is trying to graduate by summer of 2014.
    Thanks Teddy, I really appreciate it, and I believe he will also.
    I will ask him for his recruiters e-mail address and see where I can get with him. The principal has been a brick wall to the recruiter in the past. There were a few guys wanting to join, they had decent grades, and weren't in the same situation as my brother, so the principal couldn't rightly say NO. It took weeks before he would sign the paper, he would always say he was busy, or just simply say later. The recruiter called constantly pressuring him.
    My parents are not that interested in changing the principal's mind either, they do want him to join, but sided with the principal about leaving for basic.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Does the Guard no longer have the "split option" program? That's where you go to basic one summer, go on weekend drill status through the winter, and go to AIT the following summer.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Are you aware that he can transfer to a home-based school and finish his education there? With all the flexibility needed to do both, I might add.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    Honestly though, can you blame a principal for wanting students to finish school? I would be concerned if the didn't want them to finish school. That is his job.

Having said that, good luck with your brother. Do everything you can to encourage him and keep his spirits up. When things get tough, it's good to be able to turn to family for support. Make sure you are that support for him.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Unless, things have changed, there is NO REASON, for him to leave school..... Two people above have mentioned, split option, and it is what they say it is. He drills one weekend a month, in a "pre-basic" Platoon, and when summer break comes, he will go to Basic. When he returns from Basic, he goes back to school, and continues to drill, one weekend a month. When he grad., he will go to AIT, or whatever they call it now. and upon completion, he returns, and joins his regular unit, and continues to serve.
    If you cannot get anywhere, with HIS Recruiter, call another one, and check ALL info .....

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Honestly though, can you blame a principal for wanting students to finish school?

Yes, I can. The kid isn't talking about dropping out of school, he's talking about missing a few weeks at the most so that he do one of the most honorable things a citizen could ever have the opportunity to do. A change will happen in this young man during basic that will force him to wise up (it did with me) think harder and move faster. The principle could have a student show up the following year a few weeks late to school and be a great example to the rest of the class about what the military can do for you and instead he's keeping the kid restrained.

If the principle was a veteran I don't think he'd object to this and I'd go so far as to say he'd encourage it. I was a terrible student in high school, but my drill instructors didn't let me slack off on my studies. I got a foundation of mental toughness there and I'm greatful for it. I never would have worked hard enough in school to have earned a masters degree without having experienced the army.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    They still have the split option program. you leave for the summer and come back later on and finish you AIT. They may also have adult programs for ged and highschool classes, so thats something to keep in mind.There is also other options such as army reserve.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Yes, I can. The kid isn't talking about dropping out of school, he's talking about missing a few weeks at the most so that he do one of the most honorable things a citizen could ever have the opportunity to do. A change will happen in this young man during basic that will force him to wise up (it did with me) think harder and move faster. The principle could have a student show up the following year a few weeks late to school and be a great example to the rest of the class about what the military can do for you and instead he's keeping the kid restrained.

If the principle was a veteran I don't think he'd object to this and I'd go so far as to say he'd encourage it. I was a terrible student in high school, but my drill instructors didn't let me slack off on my studies. I got a foundation of mental toughness there and I'm greatful for it. I never would have worked hard enough in school to have earned a masters degree without having experienced the army.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why can't he wait until he's got his HS diploma before joining? Could he lose a spot in the ANG? Or is it that he just wants to start now but could wait?

Also, I thought a HS diploma or GED was required to join. Did I just make that up or is that for certain branches?

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I have no military experience, i'm in college looking to go straight to LEO. He is looking to go military, then law enforcement. I don't know of what is actually required, whether you need a HS diploma, GED, or what. I also do not know how the split option works, until I heard you guys mention it. I just know what my brother told me, and what he was telling my parents when I was there.
    After reading what you have posted, I figured i t out.
    I believe he would be missing some of the start of school next year. This school recently switched to semi-all year, they took a chunk of summer vacation, and moved it around.
    I am only guessing here, but I believe this is why he needs permission and can't do it during summer only.
    I will talk to him and the recruiter to see what exactly is the problem here.

It starts getting really personal as to WHY he wants to join instead of joining in 2014/2015. He's an adult living rent-free, and has been doing terrible in school, and spends most of his time at friend's house, watching TV, etc, no job. So of course, you can probably guess why he wants to join early.

It's a chance to get his life turned around. Teddy seems to understand quite a bit. I think it would do him a lot of good, and straighten him out, put him on the right path. Graduating WILL become his goal, and he will be pushed to graduate so that he can go into service. I don't see how the principal cannot understand that!

They don't want him dropping out, and getting a GED ( school, and recruiter ). I don't see anything wrong with that option, as it is still up in the air if he will even graduate by 21 or not.
    As far as home schooling goes, we don't even know where to begin with that. Parents both work full time, one works full time, and goes to college for a degree upgrade. Does it require a parent doing verbal instructing, or can they simply print stuff off, and give him assignments? What's the difference between this an a GED.
    Or are you talking about home schooling by a private company?

Last edited:

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    Make him finish HS first! You can do basic anytime. Sounds like a recruiter trying to hit quota. NEVER quit HS for anything!

Also, if he want's to join a reserve armed services branch, I would suggest USAF over Army. When he finishes AF Tech School, he'd have an associate's degree form the college of the AF where he could transfer credits to a 4 year institution after he leaves the AF. This is not something the Army has and joining the AF is still serving your country and gets you all the benefits.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a GED (there are people doing my job with nothing more than a GED and people doing the same job with a Masters degree getting paid exactly the same) if you think he can pass it. I removed myself from high school when I was set to graduate with honors (6 months early) at school A and transferred to school B when we moved and school B did not want to honor so many of my credits they wanted me to attend a 5th year then tried to suspend me when some kid jumped me unprovoked in the hall on camera and I put my hands in my pockets and let him turn my face to hamburger on camera in front of teachers.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Is he a high school senior? If so, he'll likely graduate in May and he can ship out immediately afterwards. If he is a junior, then he could ship out during the summer and finish his senior year after graduating basic training. If I'm wrong, then some Soldier reading this should correct me, but I believe that Army basic training is still 8 weeks. If he is a senior that will really have to work hard to graduate, then I can see where the principal is coming from. It will be March tomorrow. Waiting 3 months to ship out will be insignificant if he wants to make a career out of the National Guard.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    So he does not do well in school. Has learning issues. Has dyslexia. Doesn't not turn in homework. Does not test well. Does not pay attention in class. Fails classes but is on schedule to graduate?

WTF???????

How is the military the answer that's going to solve all the problems?

Get this boy's learning issues figured out. Take him out of school and put him into something like a Sylvan learning center. They are excellent at identifying learning impediments and overcoming them.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I just discussed split option with a Army NG recruiter and my son a week or so ago. With the shortened summer vacations, he would have to miss the last three days of this school year, and a few days starting the next. Basic does not fit into summer vacation any more.

My son does not turn 17 until July 1, so he cannot go to training this summer. He can join on his 17th birthday and be in a pre-basic platoon until he graduates spring 2014 and does basic and AIT back to back next summer/fall. He would miss his first semester of college, but he can pick up classes at IUPUI in the spring 2015 and then transfer to IU or Purdue in fall 2015.

Where do you live? My son is participating in some PT at the Danville Armory on Tuesdays 6-8 pm just to stay involved with the recruiter.

PM me if you have questions.

Last edited:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    He is a 19 year old senior, but is not set to graduate. They don't generally hold you back in high school anymore. They let you go onto the next year, and call you a senior, but really he is a sophomore. He is NOT on schedule to graduate on time in May of 2013. He will graduate, IF he really pushes himself, in May of 2014. Otherwise AFAIK he will be 21 and not allowed in free public education. He will have to take paid adult classes or get a GED.

He doesn't really have any motivation to do anything, and the military can teach him how to focus, motivate him, and help him get into college. As far as a special learning center goes, he really has no interest whatsoever, in it, he doesn't even really work with the special education instructors in school very well. I doubt they do it for free either.

Alright, so that is the reason. He will be missing school because of the shortened summer vacation. The principal is not going to let him go, because he is already behind.

PM sent Travis! Thanks

Top Bottom