• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    My little girl has grown up on me and now it time for her to start driving so I picked this up for her. She's always been a A student and is currently in the 11th grade and earning college credits. She also works part time every evening so at least in my eyes she earned it. Even though I hate the thought of her being on the road.
    IMAG0108.jpg

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    A sports car for a first car. You my friend are a brave one.
    Really though, it sounds like you have plenty of reasons to be proud. Good luck.

Oh yeah, and that is a sweet ride.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    My wife and have both agreed that when we have kids, their first car will be a 2 door beat-to-crap pickup truck. That, or some old four banger with the rear seat removed. That way there is less room for them to shuttle their friends around, and if they try to go too fast the thing will shake and rattle too much. My first car was a Dodge Daytona with the turbocharged engine. By today's standards it's not much, but let's say that I pushed that car to its limits on multiple occasions.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Hey I'm going through the same thing right now, and I have to say the one thing you did very well was buy a car with the latest in safety ratings, kids are going to scratch up a car and really who cares, doesn't matter if its a Rolls Royce or a 72 pinto, the car is a piece of metal, if the crash is bad you want your kid to walk away, no matter what you want them to walk away, we can yell and ground or whatever later but they have to be in good shape to punish.

My son was going to get my dodge 3/4 ton but it scares me, its easy to run over the brakes and its heavy in the front end so I ended up finding a little 02 ranger here on ingo and I'm fixing it up for him, it has airbags, and some metal both front and back to eat up something solid instead of something eating him.

I've come to the place in life that dark places don't scare me, something happeing to my kids scares me.

Hope she's safe every mile she drives it

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Saftey was a big thing plus the back seat is so small there shouldn't be much funny business going on back there. She's has to pay insurance and all upkeep. I'll donate labor for free. I know she will dent and scratch it but I felt she has earned it. My 1st was a 74 blazer that needed a tranny . We all want better for our kids.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Very nice. Must be a great kid.

Keep an eye on her friends. She may not speed on her own, but add friends and peer pressure, that can change.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Very nice. Must be a great kid.

Keep an eye on her friends. She may not speed on her own, but add friends and peer pressure, that can change.

^^^^This x100. It's not necessarily your smart, responsible daughter that you have to worry about, it's the boy she thinks is cute that sees her "cool" car and wants to drive it "just for a minute", and your responsible daughter thinks she better ride along so he doesn't do anything stupid...and then he does something stupid.

Fortunately I don't have any kids. For the record, I had to buy my own first car and it was a piece of crap. I didn't have to worry about anyone else wanting to drive it. Maybe if I'd been a girl it'd been different. For some reason all my high school girlfriends dads liked to buy daughters cars for them, too.

It's a nice car though.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Let's all keep in mind that just because some of you/us aren't/weren't the most responsible teen drivers doesn't mean that all teen drivers are that way. I told one of my good friends to shove it when they wanted me to do something stupid in my car right after I was allowed to drive with others in the car.

:+1: to the OP.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ok Dad -

That back seat is way too big for a teenage girl's first car. :D

Lucky Girl - Geez -
    My first car was a rusty old Chevy that my dad gave me. It had been in a fire and had a torched interior and blown out windows and then sat for 10 years. I had to rebuild it from the ground up. :(

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    My little girl has grown up on me and now it time for her to start driving so I picked this up for her. She's always been a A student and is currently in the 11th grade and earning college credits. She also works part time every evening so at least in my eyes she earned it. Even though I hate the thought of her being on the road.
    IMAG0108.jpg

Boy, you are one cool dad! For some this may not be a great idea, but I am sure you know your daughter and her maturity. Nice looking Mustang ... although I would rather have one from the 60's.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    One of my (girl) friends first car was a convertible '91 Mercury Capri and my (girl) neighbor's first car was a '93 Miata and my other (girl) neighbors first car was a '96 Sebring Convertible, and the girl across the street got a '97 Prizm.

There is a pattern here. Tiny or no rear seats. Not comfy for girl friends and too big for boyfriends.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Saftey was a big thing plus the back seat is so small there shouldn't be much funny business going on back there. She's has to pay insurance and all upkeep. I'll donate labor for free. I know she will dent and scratch it but I felt she has earned it. My 1st was a 74 blazer that needed a tranny . We all want better for our kids.

Very smart move. I think with her having some skin in the game, she's going to appreciate it that much more. It's something that she has to work for, so it's her baby and she'll treat it as such.

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    Getting your first car is one of the few things in life that are hard to top until you start having a family. Hope the car works out great for your daughter.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Nice.

Surprisingly the V-6 is no slouch. It's got over 200HP and zero-to-60 times in the mid 6 second range. That's right there with many years of the 87 thru nineties 5.0 v8.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I think all kids should for the first 3 years of driving have a old Volvo 245 wagon with a stick shift (that way they can't text and drive) those old Volvos were tanks, very safe, very strong and very slow, the engine would do 500,000 miles without much maintenance.

Top Bottom