• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is a Weber grill worth the extra cost over a regular grill?

• Total voters

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    We've got to buy a new grill. The last one I had was a CharBroil and it last 8 years, but the bad storm we had last fall clobbered the grill beyond repair. Now granted in that 8 years I'd had some repairs to make with rusted steel and some sheet metal, but it wasn't that big of a deal and it last 8 years. In all fairness though the storm put the finishing touches on it because it was due for more metal work.

I've got a growing family of five and we are going to be entertaining a lot of people at our house during the summers. I'm getting old enough that I'm starting to see a grill as a long term investment, but I'm still young enough and buying enough diapers that I have a hard time justifying three times the price for a comparably sized grill when the last one I had lasted me 8 years even if it was at the very edge of the end of its useable life.

I've looked at both options and I honestly think the Weber is a far better product, but is it going to be worth the extra $$?

So..... do I spend the money on the Weber and hopes it lasts me a lifetime or do I buy another grill that gets me by for a few years and dispose of it like a used paper towel?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Yup and buy a cover for it. I have a 22" that has the stainless table and uses propane to start the charcoal that I have had for 12 years now. Mine stays outside under a cover year around, and I am going to finally have to replace the 2 smaller caster wheels this summer.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Just had some delicious smoked pork chops from my Weber last night. An amazing thing and worth it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I use a Weber charcoal grill (gas is for wussies). Have had it for years and done everything from grill to smoke on it. They're champs. I usually replace the grates every couple of years, but haven't had any major issues with mine. Just get a cover and you're good to go. If you're going to do a LOT of grilling get one of the large units like Weber uses in their restaurants.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I use a Weber charcoal grill (gas is for wussies). Have had it for years and done everything from grill to smoke on it. They're champs. I usually replace the grates every couple of years, but haven't had any major issues with mine. Just get a cover and you're good to go. If you're going to do a LOT of grilling get one of the large units like Weber uses in their restaurants.

Charcoal all the way!

I wish I could find a set of (reasonably priced) cast iron grates for my Weber kettle though. Cheapest I've seen was in the neighborhood of $100 + shipping.

My wife is slowly tearing down my walls though.....there probably will be, at some point, a gas grill in our household.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I have something like this only an older model and love it

th

Or if you want a "Really Big" grill, you could go for one of these :rockwoot:

th

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Weber is a decent grill for the money. One thing that is nice about them is replacements parts(even or older ones) are readily available.

But there are better grills out there and they will be priced accordingly.

I have had my Weber for 15 years now and I have replaced the Flavorizer bars once and that is it. I cook on it year round.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Best charcoal grill on the market. If I'm grilling I use the weber, smoking and making pizza I use the Big Green Egg.

IMG_1854.jpg

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Can't beat a Weber even with a truck and a trailer. Mine stayed outside for 13 years, no cover and was clipped with the trailer and bent out of round 3 times, just retired it this past year because of rust.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    One of the houses I bought had a Webber gas grill that came with it. You could tell it was heavy and well made. It cooked fine. My only bug was that it took a non standard fitting for the propane tank, so you had to take the original tank to be refilled, rather than exchange the tank at menards or the hardware store. It was kind of a nusance. I do not know if they are still like that.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    One of the houses I bought had a Webber gas grill that came with it. You could tell it was heavy and well made. It cooked fine. My only bug was that it took a non standard fitting for the propane tank, so you had to take the original tank to be refilled, rather than exchange the tank at menards or the hardware store. It was kind of a nusance. I do not know if they are still like that.

Pretty easy to change the hose to the new style. $20 bucks and a wrench is all.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have always had webbers. I have passed them on to my kids as they get to need new grates. They are still using them.
    We have 2 newer units and they are both top shelf. The new ones need to be seasoned like a good iron skillet before the food has the full on smokey taste.

Top Bottom