• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have been chased by a dog while riding my bike today.
    I think it was a Pit Bull (I didn't stop to check :): ).
    He tried to bite my leg but he finally stopped after chasing me for a while as I was going too fast for him (for some reasons a Pit Bull can make you go real fast even if you're tired :): ).

Have you had to deal with angry dogs and what did you do to make them go again? :dunno:

Would the dog get even more angry if I kick him in the face or would that make him stop?

A good whack with a baton/stick maybe? :dunno:

A gun is not an option for me in this case for a few reasons.

I appreciate any advice or personal story. :ingo:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Dogs aren't very brave if they feel pain. If you hit it good with something it will turn tail. Try to find a little horsewhip to ride around with.

I am not to sure about the not very brave if they feel pain part. I think that is breed specific. It seems to me that pain makes some breeds even more aggresive.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'll guess you're still in France. Use pepper spray or a spray bottle filled with ammonia and a bit of water, if you can't have pepper spray. Their noses can't stand it.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    My brother had this problem many years ago on a paper route. He bought a water pistol at the store and filled it with ammonia and water. The next time the dog chased him, he squirted it with the water pistol. The dog never chased him after that.

And, with the squirt gun, you won't get a could of spray that can blow back in your face!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Tough to defend when riding a bike. I would do the spray mixture using ammonia. Go for the nose if you can.
    Or....just outrun him again. Run it into a pole.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Tough to defend when riding a bike. I would do the spray mixture using ammonia. Go for the nose if you can.
    Or....just outrun him again. Run it into a pole.

Yep, that's the main problem.
    If I was on foot I would just have kicked the dog without any problem.
    But to do that I would have to slow down and that thing is fast.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My wife does a lot of walking & tried a 'dog alert' electronic doodad of some sort. It does not work. She now carries pepper spray with her. She hasn't had a need for it since she got it. I am willing to bet it will work.

I gather that airsoft guns tend to send strays running when they get in your yard.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My brother had this problem many years ago on a paper route. He bought a water pistol at the store and filled it with ammonia and water. The next time the dog chased him, he squirted it with the water pistol. The dog never chased him after that.

And, with the squirt gun, you won't get a could of spray that can blow back in your face!

Interesting idea.
    Especially since I saw stuff like this in a toy store. :D

I-Grande-2406-pistolet-a-eau-cowboy.net.jpg

Even an evil AK model with removable water tank magazine.

mega-pistolet-a-eau-ak-47-p-image-165955-grande.jpg

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    I get chased by dogs every once in a while when I'm out riding, but I've never met one I can't outsprint. The few who took me by surprise and got close enough to need defending against have taken a clear in the face.

That is the main way dogs fight so you can almost always depend on their faces being exposed. A good shot with a stiff bike shoe sole seems to work.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I get chased by dogs every once in a while when I'm out riding, but I've never met one I can't outsprint. The few who took me by surprise and got close enough to need defending against have taken a clear in the face.

That is the main way dogs fight so you can almost always depend on their faces being exposed. A good shot with a stiff bike shoe sole seems to work.

I ride with steel toe boots. :yesway:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'll guess you're still in France. Use pepper spray or a spray bottle filled with ammonia and a bit of water, if you can't have pepper spray. Their noses can't stand it.

Sounds kind of funny to think about now, but when I carried newspapers some 45 years ago, I had a similar problem with more than one K9 on my route.
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE dogs. I have three of my own, but they can ALL get hard to handle if in the proper mood.

My dad gave me a simple squirt-gun filled with ammonia. One shot in each dogs face took care of that particular dog, for good!

They would yelp and run away. I'd see them after that, but they ALWAYS gave me a wide passage after that single shot.

That's just my experience. ;)

Top Bottom