• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    All of the usb ports stopped working on my computer can someone tell me what it might be? I can hear that its on and the screen will in sleep mode but both the key board and mouse are usb powered and i cant give it any inputs. The mouse is optical and if i plug it in slowly the light will flash for a split second and go out.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Powered USB hubs, hubs that have their own power supply plugged into the wall, are pretty cheap, but if you go too cheap, you start to get crappy Chinese hardware that omit crucial components that prevent it from feeding power back into the mobo, possibly frying it if it's good, or killing it outright if it's wounded. Replacement mobo can be pretty cheap, depending on the age/generation/technology of your existing CPU, memory, hard drives, expansion cards, etc. If they're all reusable on the new mobo, cheap. If they're so old, you can't find a new mobo that can accommodate them, they'll have to be replaced as well, and then we're talking pricy; Esssentially, a whole new computer.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Id say a fried USB chipset is a precursor to a full on system fail. Short term you could buy a USB card and use that (under $30, doesnt always work, but might be worth a try). Its easy if you can operate a screwdriver. Best Buy has them typically. The only problem is if the drivers for the new USB card arent native to whatever version of windows you have, you wont have enough control of the PC to install the drivers. :(

Honestly, Its probably just time for a new PC. :(. Have no fear, your goodies like family photos and important docs are still safe and sound on the hard drive.

/computer geek with 20 years experience.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Need some more clear information here.

Someone was using it, then the screen went blank? What happens when you power it off and back on? Does it show text on the screen during the boot? Does windows start?

Your screen going blank during use indicates something more than USB port failures.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    It is a desktop. When i turn it off and on again both tower and screen are on but there is no video output. The screen is just black along with no usb ports working. I have no idea if windows starts since i cant see anything. Could it be the pci card?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would try pulling all cards, blowing out the card slots, wiping the edge connector, and reseating them. That sounds like a video card issue, not a USB issue.

If that fails, do the same with the CPU (no wiping of CPU pins!) and HD cables (both ends).

If that fails, it's a general system failure. Prepare to pay out for a new system.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It is a desktop. When i turn it off and on again both tower and screen are on but there is no video output. The screen is just black along with no usb ports working. I have no idea if windows starts since i cant see anything. Could it be the pci card?

reading more carefully, it could also be a processor issue, or a partial power supply failure. (failure to supply both 12 and 5v)

any beep patterns when you power it up? Or does the light come on, cooling fans spin, and then nothing happens?

Does the monitor change at all? Most monitors when you power them up will start with an orange light when they are powered but no input signal is detected. After a few seconds you will see a message generated by the monitor that says something to the effect "no input detected" and it will go to sleep. Or it will change to a green or blue light to indicate it is getting a signal from the PC.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Is your monitor plugged directly into the motherboard, or is there a separate video card?

If you look at the plugs in the back, you'll see one large rectangle with all of the motherboard ports. Then there will be slots below it, possibly with more ports. If it is plugged in to one of the independent slots, then it is a separate video card.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    No beeps what so ever. The tower light is on as if you were using the computer it is not in sleep mode but the screen is in sleep mode however. The monitor is not receiving a signal no dvi, hdmi, or vga. On the back all of the usb ports, the speaker outputs, ethernet plug in, and both connectors for the screen are on one card.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I am having the exact same problem with a desktop. I upgraded from Vista to W8. It worked well until a automatic update. It seems the update was released somewhere around March of this year. Believe me when I say you are not alone with your problem.

Mine will work fine if I shut it down, kill the power to it and leave it off for a hour or so. Power it back up and all is well for about 30 mins. Then the USB mouse starts getting sluggish and finally stops working period.

I was online with Microsoft a few weeks ago for over a hour. They were tapped into my computer somehow running through all sorts of stuff that I know nothing about. They told me that were working on a fix for what they think might be the problem. Have not heard back since.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I am having the exact same problem with a desktop. I upgraded from Vista to W8. It worked well until a automatic update. It seems the update was released somewhere around March of this year. Believe me when I say you are not alone with your problem.

Mine will work fine if I shut it down, kill the power to it and leave it off for a hour or so. Power it back up and all is well for about 30 mins. Then the USB mouse starts getting sluggish and finally stops working period.

I was online with Microsoft a few weeks ago for over a hour. They were tapped into my computer somehow running through all sorts of stuff that I know nothing about. They told me that were working on a fix for what they think might be the problem. Have not heard back since.

Yours almost sounds like something is over heating and then shutting down. Have you checked all of your fans?

Top Bottom