• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FortWayneGunfighter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    The desert...
    Ive been thinking a bit-i know thats new- but in a SHTF or survival situation where you need to use yoru BOB what would be a good communication method ive given thought to putting a CB in my BOB which is an old usmc assault pack its got the space i was thinking the 102" steel whip would get decent reach and a good battery could power it for a bit thoughts?

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Read up on field expedient comm antennae such as the RC 292. SHTF situation would dictate more movement, and comm only when necessary. Whip won't get you much distance.

its the antennae that dictates what kind of signal you'll pick up. All it takes is a roll of wire, field expedient plastic insulators such as plastic spoons, plastic bags and the knowledge.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    A CB isn't going to be much use unless you know of or have setup in advance, other users. Commercial CB radios are pretty low power, a big amp is going to be a power hog, the 102 inch steel whip isn't much of an antenna on thos frequencies, you'd be better off with a wire dipole that you can rotate to change directions of your listening and your signals out.

I think a shortwave transceiver would be better, and something in UHF/VHF freqs for local use.

I have a small 1 watt Morse Code transceiver that I have worked all 50 states on using a simple wire dipole antenna on 7Mhz. It's no good for local comms though.

Top Bottom