• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I'm wanting to get into better shape. The thing that slows me down is the fact that in my job, I am on the road 90% of my time at work. The other 10%, I am sitting doing reports. I've been wanting to do this for awhile and am finally set on doing it. I want to make some cost-effective, healthy, yet still delicious snack. One that I've found and have done before is oatmeal bars. I want something like that so I can throw it in a cooler or lunchbox, take it to work, throw it on the truck and be able to grab it to snack on. Anyone have a recipe or a go to snack?

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    These are delicious! Sausage and Eggs to Go | Mark's Daily Apple Eat two and it's a meal.

I take a piece of fruit with me to work most days (some days I forget). Usually an apple or banana. A bag of strawberries or blueberries is good. Add some almond butter to the apple or banana for some extra calories. Bag of carrots.

There's 100 calorie packs of almonds that are good. Handful of pistachios.

You can have a couple slices of lunch meat wrapped around a cheese stick.

Stay away from the processed, sugary stuff...

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I do oatmeal bars that I make. Sounds like you have those. I also try to make sure I am drinking lots of water. Keeps me from trying to decide if I am hungry or thirsty (thirst can often be perceived as hunger). Fruit and veggies are good to keep around. I use many variations of what Allen Lim has put together for his athletes. See his books The Feed Zone and Feed Zone Portables though many are things that have more calories than you may want.

Protein will help curb the hunger. The more complex the carbs, the less 'rush' you get but stays with you (me) longer.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I make up my own mixed nuts.

Ain't cheap initially - but considering that buying 4 lbs of nuts regularly lasts me over a month (I only eat them at work)... I'd say that it's cheap and relatively healthy.

I buy peanuts, cashews, walnuts, and pecans. I also make sure that at least half of them are at least lightly salted. I will also usually add in some candy corn and/or store-brand M&Ms, too, for a bit of sweet.

Dump them in a large bowl, mix them up, and then scoop them into smaller 1-lb containers I take to my office and stash in my desk. I have enough old peanut containers that I use those.

-J-

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you have a thermos, smoothies. A banana, carrots, spinach, kefir, frozen fruits, orange juice and apple juice all in a blender. Delicious

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oats and honey bars are awesome in my opinion.

One of my vices is trail mix. I make it myself. Peanuts, Cashews, Almonds, and Raisins. Throw in a few sunflower seeds also.

also I'm a sucker for fruit. Any fruit. If you put a bowl of apples oranges and bananas on a table they'd be gone in less than 2 days.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Nuts are incredibly calorie dense. It's really easy to jam a huge amount of calories down your neck while idly snacking on them.

My go to snack is carrots, but I find that drinking a glass of water whenever I get peckish between meals really cuts down on snacking. If you don't care whether you're fat as heck or exercise like a fiend snacking might fit your lifestyle, but for the rest of us it's a dangerous game.

Quality jerkey is still really, really good though. It's better than bacon. :stickpoke:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Nuts are incredibly calorie dense. It's really easy to jam a huge amount of calories down your neck while idly snacking on them.

My go to snack is carrots, but I find that drinking a glass of water whenever I get peckish between meals really cuts down on snacking. If you don't care whether you're fat as heck or exercise like a fiend snacking might fit your lifestyle, but for the rest of us it's a dangerous game.

Quality jerkey is still really, really good though. It's better than bacon. :stickpoke:

It's kinda hard and dangerous to pound down waters while working on an ambulance. The last thing I need is to take a long transport to say Rensselaer or Terre Haute or Bloomington while having to pee because I drank a ton of water. Light snack fit the bill for me because some days we run hard and don't get eat for 12+ hours. It happens at least once or twice a week.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Celery with peanut butter
    Those little fruit cups
    Small cans of tuna if you don't mind carrying a can opener with it.
    Nuts like walnuts contain good fats that help you stay healthy
    Pistacios in shell are good, and having to shell them slows you down so you don't eat a ton at a time
    Baby carrots
    Babybell cheese or string cheese
    Little cups of greek yogurt
    Dried fruit

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    smoothies are bad, Never drink your calories. They don't quench the hunger like protein will. Other than protein, buy precut bags of carrots, broccoli and cauliflower in the salad section of the store. If you want, you can dip in a rubbermaid container of ranch. just go easy on the ranch, it has a bunch of calories, but a stong flavor, so a little goes a long way. Celery with peanut butter and a little honey.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A lot of times if I eat a fiber bar, I'm starving by lunch. Instead, I have a serving of almonds ( 3 TBSPS ). That's approximately 27 almonds. 150 calories. The protein satisfies my hunger until lunch. For lunch I have a light yogurt, a banana, celery, reduced fat wheat thins with a wedge of light laughing cow cheese. ( Approximately 300-320 calories. ) Since March, I've followed a 1360 calorie a day routine. I allow 1 cheat day a week, but I don't go crazy. So far I've lost nearly 50 lbs. I also exercise regularly by biking and walking. Always read your labels before buying any pre-packaged snacks.:D

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    First, pack your own lunch/meals--don't rely on getting time to stop for greasy/salty/fat-filled processed junk (real food takes more than 1.26 minutes to make). Avoid packing junk as well. Having stuff at your fingertips is the key; always have something with you (even if it is a junky sugar-filled granola bar)

Pack some plain yogurt (Greek) and toss in some of your own fruit (no sugar that way; put in some Stevia if you want it sweeter). Bananas are pretty satisfying. You can make your own protein bars--oatmeal, chopped nuts, raisins, protein, almond butter... a zillion variants. Grapes, carrots, cauliflower, cut up an apple and put some lemon juice to keep it from browning; easy to pop and go (think red-light munching).

Top Bottom