Any lawyer that could answer some questions for me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I recently bought a new house and have raun into some issues within the first week of moving in and wanted to know what my opinions could be. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    IANAL but, unless it was something wrong that the home inspector either lied about or should have found as a matter of routine, you bought it...you get to fix it.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Not a lawyer, but did you get a warranty? Sometimes a warranty (for major items such as appliances), usually around 1 year, can be negotiated into part of the purchase agreement.

Otherwise... Welcome to home ownership.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    The key question I have, and I am not an Attorney, was the defects disclosed and did the seller know about them.

Sold a house last year and we had to disclose all known defects when the house was listed.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    A realtor could chime in, but I believe the seller is supposed to disclose known defects. My last house had several problems the inspector missed and the seller should have disclosed. She was such a ditz though I just wanted her out of my life so I fixed the defects on my dime. Funny, she lied in her teeth to us and later my wife runs into her at......church!

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I don't remember having to disclose anything when selling or having anything disclosed to me by the seller. Isn't that what you pay inspectors for?

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    When you list the house you are responsible for disclosing certain things. It is called oddly enough, a "disclosure statement". It covers things like infestation, seepage, flooding, well contamination, sewer and septic issues, and many others. There are a lot of things inspectors can't inspect, don't inspect, or are not responsible for.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    We got an inspection but now there is a leak that damaged the upstairs floor and down stairs ceiling. Upon inspection, aka looking out the upstairs window you can easily see there is a rotted window which is clearly letting water in. Also you can see where they patched the downstairs ceiling before. What can I do?

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    We got an inspection but now there is a leak that damaged the upstairs floor and down stairs ceiling. Upon inspection, aka looking out the upstairs window you can easily see there is a rotted window which is clearly letting water in. Also you can see where they patched the downstairs ceiling before. What can I do?

IMO that is something your inspector missed. Id be calling him.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013

Sounds like the previous owner knew and tried to cover it up. If they knew that is something they should have disclosed. Just my :twocents:

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    Most home inspectors don't know a lot about houses in my experience. I just sold a house last summer and had to buy a new refrigerator because the inspector saw water spots on the kitchen floor "by" the refrigerator. The frig wasn't leaking or had ever leaked. The bad thing is that if you read the fine print most home inspectors have a clause in the contract that says you can only sue them for the amount you paid for the inspection not the amount to cover what they missed.

Top Bottom