• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Title pretty much sums it up. Today was my last day of employment (by my choice), and now im looking at the next 40+ years wondering what I should do to keep myself from going nuts. Well... more nuts.

What im looking for from y'all is suggestions. Im 28, in decent health, and living in a fun state. If you were in my shoes what would you do?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Get into reloading, big time. Take up a skill you could do if you ever needed cash flow again, maybe some strong investments. My opinions are meaningless for a man who's able to retire at 28. Excellently done if you're prepared for it.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm 26 and am no where near retirement! How'd you manage that one??

Anyway, I say buy a motorcycle and take off. Do laps around the county/state/midwest/country/continent/whatever. In the winter you go to the range (indoor) and shoot until it is nice enough to ride again. That is what I do now even though I'm not retired :cool:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    At age 28... I would get another job.
    I couldn't imagine looking at that many years ahead without working whether I needed the money or not.

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    Is that a type o. (28) I have been retired close to 4 years now. I just foung different interest out there that I didn't even think about before. I like to travel and now the at kids are gone I built a shooting range out back so I can shoot when ever I want to without worrying about the kids. You might even try to go to shool to learn a trade like I did (Ivy tech) and it kept me busy. It turned into a little hobbie for me and I am always learning more stuff. So I say just keep busy and time will just fly.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    At age 28... I would get another job.
    I couldn't imagine looking at that many years ahead without working whether I needed the money or not.

^^^^This^^^^

Like others I thought about what I might do if I ever win a big Powerball jackpot and for the life of me I can't imagine not doing some sort of work.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Do what you enjoy doing and so long as your retirement will cover that for the rest of your life... Have fun :).

I'm not retired myself but I have somewhat of a, 'stand back and watch,' position currently so I get to spend a lot of time with family and doing things I enjoy.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I'm 26 and am no where near retirement! How'd you manage that one??

Part of it was working at 150% since the day I turned 18 (60+ hour weeks), part of it was investing well (buying up defense contractors pre-9/11, shorting leamon brothers all the way down, etc), and part of it was being in the right place at the right time in a field where money never makes sense (IT... I hate it with a passion, but you can make big money big fast).

Thank y'all for your good advise. Already have the woman but she mostly pays her own way. Love the idea of just buying a motercycle and taking off, though in my case I think ill end up buying a boat. Can do a lot of sailing in the Caribbean afterall...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow. I had to retire at 63. Was not ready even then. Now I am staying busy enough but my mind has a hard time seeing me retired at 28.......Lotto hit??????

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    All past-tense... I assume you're back to working now? :)

No, now I'm old enough to be officially retired. Still dabbling in firearms, but that's about it. Don't need the drama, liver won't take much imbibing and can't see well enough to drive fast. Glad I got that out of my system when I had the body for it!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    No, now I'm old enough to be officially retired. Still dabbling in firearms, but that's about it. Don't need the drama, liver won't take much imbibing and can't see well enough to drive fast. Glad I got that out of my system when I had the body for it!
    That's one of the things I've thought about... I need to enjoy my life now while I still can and not once I'm too old to enjoy drag racing, autocross, riding motorcycles, and all of the other physically demanding things that I enjoy doing.

It makes no sense for me to save up tons of money for when I'm old and can't really enjoy it... That said - I am saving up some money regardless...

Top Bottom