• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How come its now fashionable to be "gluten intolerant"? Do adults suddenly develop food allergies, and if so, is it more prevalent when they hear about it on their Facebook page or what? More importantly, why do they feel the need to now talk about it constantly and how superior their new diet is to how you eat. Holy crap, I thought vegans were annoying. Anti-gluteners are like vegans who just quit smoking and converted to a new religion after running their first mini-marathon the day they bought a Prius because its just the right thing to do for our Earth, you know, and you'd feel a lot better if you'd stop doing all the things I did until last Tuesday because I'm so much happier until I learn about the next cool new trend I'm missing out on that will make my life complete.

**Deep cleansing breath**

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Preach it. Plus, that gluten-free crap is really expensive. You'd think that since they're leaving the gluten out, it'd be cheaper than the full gluten stuff.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Exactly, exactly, exactly. You're right on.

I heard a radio interview of a lady that went "gluten-free". She then when out to eat and had a reaction to some food she got served that had gluten, and she was getting mad at the resturant for it. Even though she had created the "allergy" within herself. She created it then expected everyone to conform to it and bow down to her.

If you want to be a vegan/vegetarian/gluten-free that's fine. Just don't try to force me or restaurants to comply with it and cater everything to your decision. You come to my house you are gonna have gluten wrapped in bacon for dinner. Don't like it? Bring your own or stay home.

EDIT: I read through the whole thread and want to make clear what I mean. I know allergies and intolerances are completely real and deadly. I just don't think it is right to intentionally make yourself allergic or intolerant to something.

Last edited:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Preach it. Plus, that gluten-free crap is really expensive. You'd think that since they're leaving the gluten out, it'd be cheaper than the full gluten stuff.

How? Gluten is in almost all grain flours until it's processed out. Extracting something increases production costs. Most of the time when someone says they cannot tolerate gluten - whether it's true or not - I automatically assume they're either misinformed about what gluten is or misinformed about how gluten is digested by the body. There are very few reasons why someone could not ingest the amounts of gluten in food. Crohn's and celiac are about the only diseases I can think of that would literally prevent it, but I can't imagine that everyone who claims to be unable to eat gluten is truly unable to eat gluten. Maybe some people do have these diseases, or maybe even a few have a true wheat allergy, but I don't think it's truly as common as it seems to be. Trust nothing of what you read and only half of what you see, right?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

How? Gluten is in almost all grain flours until it's processed out. Extracting something increases production costs. Most of the time when someone says they cannot tolerate gluten - whether it's true or not - I automatically assume they're either misinformed about what gluten is or misinformed about how gluten is digested by the body. There are very few reasons why someone could not ingest the amounts of gluten in food. Crohn's and celiac are about the only diseases I can think of that would literally prevent it, but I can't imagine that everyone who claims to be unable to eat gluten is truly unable to eat gluten. Maybe some people do have these diseases, or maybe even a few have a true wheat allergy, but I don't think it's truly as common as it seems to be. Trust nothing of what you read and only half of what you see, right?

I suppose I should have judiciously applied purple.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    This **** drove me crazy in the restaurant, people demanding their food be prepped in a separate area and handled like hazmat because it "can't touch anything that could have ever possibly come in contact with wheat". If it's really that severe and a crumb of bread will kill you, stay the **** at home and cook your own food. If it's not, knock off the drama and just admit you're trying Atkins even though it's not fashionable anymore... Douchebags.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    This **** drove me crazy in the restaurant, people demanding their food be prepped in a separate area and handled like hazmat because it "can't touch anything that could have ever possibly come in contact with wheat". If it's really that severe and a crumb of bread will kill you, stay the **** at home and cook your own food. If it's not, knock off the drama and just admit you're trying Atkins even though it's not fashionable anymore... Douchebags.

Bring me a diet water, now.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    This simply won't do. I'll need some hydrogen with that, but make SURE it's diet this time. :rolleyes: Jeesh.

Al right all right, here some hydrogen and some oxygen and a lit match!

409-sawyer-claire-explosion-01_zps01459ad2.jpg

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I understand that there are some people out there with true, honest to God allergies. I also truly believe some people just want to be allergic to something. I used to work as a server in an Italian restaurant. One night some guy and his wife came in. He ordered a seafood pasta dish. They ate their meal, sat and talked for a while (a LONG while). About an hour and a half later I went over to the table to check on them. His wife "all of a sudden" thought to ask me if the pasta had any eggs in it since her husband was allergic to egg. Seriously? You didn't think to ask me before you ordered if PASTA had egg in it??? When I told her it did indeed have egg, this man immediately went into some sort of fit and had to call 911. Really? He was fine until I said the word "yes". :rolleyes:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    About an hour and a half later I went over to the table to check on them. His wife "all of a sudden" thought to ask me if the pasta had any eggs in it since her husband was allergic to egg. Seriously? You didn't think to ask me before you ordered if PASTA had egg in it??? When I told her it did indeed have egg, this man immediately went into some sort of fit and had to call 911. Really? He was fine until I said the word "yes". :rolleyes:

Did they skate the check (and tip)?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Seriously dude, you need to relax and come off your high horse. As a parent of a kid with a severe peanut allergy, we do ask that they check ingredients and ensure none are processed in a facility that also processes peanuts. Many restaurants have an allergy-free zone that they use to prepare food, and we ask every restaurant we take him to if they have the same. If they cannot accommodate his allergy safely, we simply find another restaurant. You would be amazed at how many servers and cashiers say "no, I don't think so" when asked if they have peanuts in their ingredient list for a menu item and just move on like that answer is good enough. You cannot trust servers or cashiers, you HAVE to be persistent and specific in your needs to safely handle a food allergy in a restaurant. Would you say "no, I don't think so" when you hand someone a gun and they ask if it's loaded? Oh, I know, the four rules... the same applies to a restaurant. I assume everything he eats will kill him unless I've double checked that it will not. I cannot imagine serving my son the food that kills him because I wasn't persistent in asking a poor restaurant to prepare my food a little differently. If I hear someone behind me comment about being a DB for trying to protect my son, they are going to get an earful very loudly and in a "create a scene" sort of way. It's hilarious that you are so upset that you resort to profanity and vulgarity to whine on the internet about people wanting their food the exact way they need it. :crying:

Do you ever send back food that isn't cooked properly?

doucebags
    left(quote, 8)

http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/wheat-allergy

Wheat allergy is most common in children, and is usually outgrown before reaching adulthood, often by age three. Symptoms of a wheat allergy reaction can range from mild, such as hives, to severe, such as anaphylaxis. Therefore it is advised that people with wheat allergy have quick access to an epinephrine auto-injector (such as an EpiPen®, Auvi-Q® or Adrenaclick®) at all times. To prevent a reaction, strict avoidance of wheat and wheat products is essential. Always read ingredient labels to identify wheat ingredients.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Seriously dude, you need to relax and come off your high horse. As a parent of a kid with a severe peanut allergy, we do ask that they check ingredients and ensure none are processed in a facility that also processes peanuts. Many restaurants have an allergy-free zone that they use to prepare food, and we ask every restaurant we take him to if they have the same. If they cannot accommodate his allergy safely, we simply find another restaurant. You would be amazed at how many servers and cashiers say "no, I don't think so" when asked if they have peanuts in their ingredient list for a menu item and just move on like that answer is good enough. You cannot trust servers or cashiers, you HAVE to be persistent and specific in your needs to safely handle a food allergy in a restaurant. Would you say "no, I don't think so" when you hand someone a gun and they ask if it's loaded? Oh, I know, the four rules... the same applies to a restaurant. I assume everything he eats will kill him unless I've double checked that it will not. I cannot imagine serving my son the food that kills him because I wasn't persistent in asking a poor restaurant to prepare my food a little differently. If I hear someone behind me comment about being a DB for trying to protect my son, they are going to get an earful very loudly and in a "create a scene" sort of way. It's hilarious that you are so upset that you resort to profanity and vulgarity to whine on the internet about people wanting their food the exact way they need it. :crying:

Do you ever send back food that isn't cooked properly?

left(quote, 8)

Food Allergy Research & Education

I don't think anyone in their right mind could blame you for requesting accommodation in your case. I just wonder how many restaurants are lying to you when they say they have a special allergy free prep area. I call bs on 99% of the ones around here. There's someone in my child's class with a food allergy that the other parents have been alerted to when sending snacks for the class. We 100% make sure we check.before we send anything. And the one time we couldn't avoid it we sent a separate snack for that child. No one can blame life or death precautions, but the people who do it just to be 'fashionable' ARE douce bags.

Top Bottom