• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Our fourth night in our new house I woke up to our bedroom ceiling collapsing in a serious storm. Water had apparently entered from an upstairs window, followed the floor into our bedroom. Fast forward:

So I woke up in our two month old house today and the water lines, which I left running, were froze and the heat was down to 56. I put a salamander in the crawl space and after about an hour the pipes started to thaw and water was flowing again. Then my brother started working on the heat pump and my house started to heat up. I was thrilled as we had finally made it threw this horrific cold; what more could I ask for. Finally about 8:00 tonight my house finally reached 69 degrees and I was ecstatic. I decided to go back to the barn to get more wood for the fireplace. While out there my 5 year old daughter came to back door and screamed for me. She said, "mommy needs you and now." So I run inside and there I find my wife in the downstairs bathroom with water pouring down from all walls and the exhaust fan. I then popped upon the access to the upstairs pipes and two had busted... when will it end?! I am seriously close to a nervous breakdown after all of this in two months... :(

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Is this your house?

amityville1.jpg

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    That bad part is that you can see on the ceiling in our bedroom that they had repaired it before, but I assumed it was an issue that the previous owner had repaired... not hid...

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Wow, sorry to hear about that Twitty,
    I had a house built back in 95 that we started getting leaks and stains in the ceiling after 1 or 2 months. Builder finally got around to fixing it.

Turns out the plumber had assembled all of the drain lines for the 2 upstairs baths, but had never cemented them together. Builder ended up having to remove all of the drywall in the ceiling in two rooms to repair it.

Leadkrm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    My renters are nice people the guy offered to pay half of the repairs. They have been there a little over a year now. I am lucky to have never had major problems in a home I've lived in though

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Did you buy through a realtor? If so, I would call them ASAP and find out if there is any type of homeowners warranty. If there was an existing problem that was not disclosed, you may have some sort of claim....not positive, but it seems like there are disclosure statements that are required.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Yes there was a disclosure form and they never disclosed anything regarding the leak but i was told that they could simply say there were no issues and that would go no where. And our insurance only covered appliances, etc. Nothing structural...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Yes there was a disclosure form and they never disclosed anything regarding the leak but i was told that they could simply say there were no issues and that would go no where. And our insurance only covered appliances, etc. Nothing structural...

That truly sucks. If it was the realtor that told you this, I would be tempted to call a lawyer (consults are usually free) to ask for their opinion. The realtor certainly doesn't want to have to pay out any money for something like this so I wouldn't put it past them to tell you something just to make the problem go away. Can't hurt to ask.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom