• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcum man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bourbon
    Okay so in 7 days I'm scheduled to have rotator cup surgery, I'm kind of nervous about it but not scared. Anyone here have said surgery before, and could give me any clue as what to expect. I'm 43, and never had surgery before unless you count getting my tonsils out back in 76...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Haven't had the surgery for rotator cuff injuries, but I've had the shots and therapy for it. Know a few people who've had the surgery, though. It's not too bad, according to them. The after surgery physical therapy was more painful, (for me and them). Hope it all goes OK for you. I'm likely to get another round of injections in my right cuff soon. It's hurting again.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You'll be fine. I had it in 06. I tore it playing golf. It took 6 months to get full motion to it so I could swing a club again. I couldn't use it for 3 weeks. (wrapped tight) and a couple of weeks of therapy to learn a routine. I still don't have the range of motion or strength but some of it has to be the years caught up with me as well. Well into my 60s now. NO worries on the surgery or recovery though. Not even painful to speak of.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    I had this surgery last year. Like halfmileharry said you will have about no use for about 3 weeks. I was back to full duty work in 2 months. Therapy sucks but it helps.

Just had surgery 2 weeks ago on my other shoulder, tore my bicep tendon. I am also 43 doc said I was to old to repair it so he had to cut it and drill a hole thru my bone to put the tendon in. This one sucks a little more, would take the rotator cuff injury over this one anyday.

ces6508

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    Cave Town
    Surgery was no problem. Make sure you have someone with you in the recovery room. Takes 6 months or more to get strength back.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    I had rotator cuff surgery in Sept of '12. I was told to expect pain 24-48 hrs after. They were right but had my trusty oxycodone and it helped a bunch. Make sure you get an rx for pain meds before surgery. Prior to and after therapy, I used a rice bag. Put about a pound of rice in a cloth bag and tie the ends off. Pop the bag in a microwave fot about a min or so, then put it on your shoulder for about 10 min. Use the bag anytime you need to during the day or night but definitely before and after exercising.

listen and do the prescribed exercises your therapist prescribes. This is key to speedy recovery. Be diligent with your regimen. When in bed, get your arm and shoulder in the most comfortable position as possible. I found a pillow or two, strategically placed, helped me get a good night's sleep. I was GTG by Dec of same year.

Good Luck and God Speed

Kyle47BC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    Canada
    You will experience inflammation for a while after the surgery. It's important to get inflammation down, the quickest way is through cold compression wraps. Majority of the pain you will feel will be due to swelling so this will help with pain as well as help you recover faster. Make sure to rest to avoid re-aggravation and re-inflammation. By keeping down inflammation you are freeing up your blood flow, allowing oxygen and nutrients to reach the damaged tissues to rebuild/repair them. For more info check out this link, it's also where I got my cold compression wrap from.

King Brand Shoulder Ice Packs and Wraps

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    My brother had it back in September. Went back to work right before Christmas. He had been off about 5 months by then. They doubled up his meds after surgery on accident. He was a bit loopy I'm told. My mom had it too. I'd just say follow the doctors advice...and don't push it.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    I was in that same boat about 2 months ago. Is it a full tear, partial tear, or bone spurs that need to be cleaned out? Depending in what you have done depends on the recovery time and pain. A friend of mine had a full tear fixed about a month after my surgery.

It will hurt, you won't be able to sleep on that side for a long time, and it will get annoying waiting on things to heal. Be patient.

Make sure you follow their instructions and do the therapy during recovery. It can be a bit slow to heal, but it will get there. Good luck.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    Be prepared for a long recovery then. You'll be in a sling to immobilize your arm for a few weeks. It's important to wear it and not do anything that would jeopardize the joint while it heals. Take it slow and easy.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Be prepared for a long recovery then. You'll be in a sling to immobilize your arm for a few weeks. It's important to wear it and not do anything that would jeopardize the joint while it heals. Take it slow and easy.

Yep, just do what the Doc says. You really don't have to worry much. It's not a critical, life threatening, dangerous thing. You'll still be able to play the piano when all is said and done.
    Oh yea, I went ahead and included you on my prayer list. I'm in good favor so I've got some "pull".

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Follow direction. You'll be in contact with people that do this every day for a living, they know what they're doing. Surgeries are not the hard part for the patient. It's the followup.

You're going to need to push yourself. If you're someone that skips work for a headache, man up and deal with the pain. The structural issues are resolved with the surgery. The rehabilitation is on you.

People that go through orthopedic or other structural corrective surgery, that do not participate in rehabilitation after structural corrective surgical interventions, do not do well overall.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Haven't had the surgery for rotator cuff injuries, but I've had the shots and therapy for it. Know a few people who've had the surgery, though. It's not too bad, according to them. The after surgery physical therapy was more painful, (for me and them). Hope it all goes OK for you. I'm likely to get another round of injections in my right cuff soon. It's hurting again.
    I see what you did there! :cool:^^
    May you have a speedy and full recovery OP.

Top Bottom