• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Ok, I have put off learning a new language long enough and since I believe I will be going to South America/Latin America next year I want to start now. I have heard of Rosetta Stone and it gets mixed reviews so can anyone tell me if they like it or other programs better? Also, I am looking for something I can download to an MP3 and also practice when I am out in the woods or even in the car and not just in front of a computer. All help appreciated

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    All I have to go on is high school Spanish class 20 years ago. I don't recommend that route. Based on the feedback I have seen from homeschoolers regarding language programs, Rosetta gets good reviews if you get the homeschool version. (No, I don't know what the difference is exactly, but I do believe the verb conjugation issue plays a more prominent role in the academic version for homeschoolers than in the general for-the-public version. But don't hold me to that.) However, all of them have said that regardless of the program used, nothing beats immersion and actual conversation. So pick something textbook-y to learn the vocab and rules of conjugation and then find someone to speak with on a regular basis.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I've used Rosetta and quite a few other programs/books/etc. I like Rosetta, but it depends on your intent. If you just want to learn a few phrases to get you through on a visit, there are better, faster ways -- methods that are more focused on memorizing a useful phrase. If you really want to LEARN the language, rather than memorize some stuff, Rosetta is very good. It teaches you in a way that fosters actual learning, the kind that could wind up in your being able to really speak and maybe even think in the target language someday. Rosetta does have some audio companion material that you could use in the car, and it's useful, but no substitute for the video/computer stuff.

Another resource I really like is livemocha.com.

If you're just trying to memorize some stuff for a vacation, ignore all of my advice and find a phrasebook.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    No, I plan on actually being in a few areas that are FAR from the beaten path. I'm going with some people who know the language but I don't like having to depend on people to do things for me. Also, I want to learn something that will be useful the rest of my life not just one time as well as my son learning as well since he is doing beginning Spanish already at the kindergarten level.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    All I have to go on is high school Spanish class 20 years ago. I don't recommend that route. Based on the feedback I have seen from homeschoolers regarding language programs, Rosetta gets good reviews if you get the homeschool version. (No, I don't know what the difference is exactly, but I do believe the verb conjugation issue plays a more prominent role in the academic version for homeschoolers than in the general for-the-public version. But don't hold me to that.) However, all of them have said that regardless of the program used, nothing beats immersion and actual conversation. So pick something textbook-y to learn the vocab and rules of conjugation and then find someone to speak with on a regular basis.

If that's an option for you, I'd agree with 88GT that immersion with an actual native speaker, or someone who REALLY knows the language, is better... but that's just not an option for everyone or every language. For reference, though, top level language programs that DO immerse and have native language faculty still supplement with things like Rosetta -- I was in a program like that at the Defense Language Institute in a previous life. I'm a believer. It's a solid resource.

On conjugation: True, the Rosetta stuff doesn't really lay out conjugation on tables like you had in high school or college classes, but it teaches it to you the way native speakers learn it. You didn't learn it that way in English. You learned it by hearing people say "he runs", "she runs", "we run", "they run", and parroting it. Eventually, if you hadn't learned it, you'd be corrected. Rosetta is similar. You see a picture of one man walking and the native speaker will say that language's equivalent of "he walks/he is walking". Then they show you a woman, if that language has gender differences, and do the same, then a group, etc.

Rosetta works with a microphone that grades YOUR pronunciation of those phrases, as well. For the languages I've tried, at least, it did a pretty fair job of it, given the inherent difficulties in dialects and accents and emphasis and... all of those things that make up language.

So, not perfect, not as good as 88GT's suggestion, if that's an option for you, but I'm a believer and would recommend it, given that your goal is to REALLY learn the language.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Some people learn a foreign language much easier than others. The Army measures this with a DLAB test, which is apparently pretty accurate in showing who will learn a language easy and who will not. This is completely independent of other measures of knowledge or intelligence. I learn most things pretty easily, but language evades me, and my test scores showed that. My ASVAB scores were in the top 1%, my DLAB test couldn't have been worse if I'd slept through the test and then filled it in with a left handed purple crayon. I had a roommate in the Army who's ASVAB scores were pretty middle of the road, he struggled with math, but he just had a head for language. He taught himself Japanese by watching subtitled movies. For me, Rosetta Stone helped a bit, but only to a point. Once I hit that point I needed live instruction, preferably from a native speaker or immersion. Even with that, I had to constantly work at it or I forgot it. In '05 I could read children's books in Arabic. Now I couldn't give you the phonetics for the characters of the alphabet.

What I've never gotten ANYTHING out of is those repetitive tapes and .mp3s that just teach you vocabulary. It falls out of my head as fast as I stuff it in there. You may be different.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I appreciate the information on your experiences. These type of responses that I have gotten is why I posted the thread as I was hoping for different experiences and opinions like I have gotten here. That helps me when looking for a program and learning in the future as well.

Some people learn a foreign language much easier than others. The Army measures this with a DLAB test, which is apparently pretty accurate in showing who will learn a language easy and who will not. This is completely independent of other measures of knowledge or intelligence. I learn most things pretty easily, but language evades me, and my test scores showed that. My ASVAB scores were in the top 1%, my DLAB test couldn't have been worse if I'd slept through the test and then filled it in with a left handed purple crayon. I had a roommate in the Army who's ASVAB scores were pretty middle of the road, he struggled with math, but he just had a head for language. He taught himself Japanese by watching subtitled movies. For me, Rosetta Stone helped a bit, but only to a point. Once I hit that point I needed live instruction, preferably from a native speaker or immersion. Even with that, I had to constantly work at it or I forgot it. In '05 I could read children's books in Arabic. Now I couldn't give you the phonetics for the characters of the alphabet.

What I've never gotten ANYTHING out of is those repetitive tapes and .mp3s that just teach you vocabulary. It falls out of my head as fast as I stuff it in there. You may be different.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Nobody has mentioned Pimsleur instruction. I found that to be very helpful although I've also taken classes at IUPUI and Ivy Tech. I think the main thing is to be exposed to native speakers once you've started to learn the language.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    The Department of Defense Language School has lessons online totally free. I've not tried them yet but I'm told they are very good. I plan on reviewing some Spanish this summer.

DLIFLC.edu - Home

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I've read the Rosetta Stone is alright for the basics. After completing it, the best way to learn is just to watch and listen to media in the language you're trying to learn. You'll soon begin to pick up on it more, especially after already having an introduction and knowing what half of what they're saying is, the rest will begin to make sense. (Or something like that, I'll link to the article if I can find it.)

I know a bit of 'kitchen spanish' from years of working in restaurants when I was younger. If you need to know something about chicken or want to make a remark about a beautiful woman, I can help you out.

Was in Puerto Rico two years ago, I thought I'd be able to try my very limited Spanish out but it was horribly bad and a lot of folks down there knew English well enough to assist if asked something. In a bar? Just say 'beer' and show them money and sit down. They'll bring you a beer.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Yep it's a completely made up language to test your ability.
    ive used RS successfully for 2 different languages.
    I you put in the effort and have the ability to learn a language even at a medium level then I believe Rosetta Stone will be a good investment for you.
    Spanish is one of the easiest languages there are. I learned 2 of the hardest and partially a 3rd that wasn't easy. Good luck!

Top Bottom