• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I see ads all the time on Facebook but don't know anybody who has used the service yet. I am also curious to know if it is a good deal.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just looked at their site. I don't think it would be worth it for me. I only change my blade about every 1 1/2 - 2 months or so. I could join for 2 months and quit I guess! :):

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I've been doing the dollar shave club thing for a few years now, and it's the best! I get the 4x, and putting a new blade in every week (or so) is really nice. No longer do I have to curse spending $30/month for good blades at the store, or keep using an old, worn out blade to save a few bucks.

The razors are pretty darn good. It costs me exactly $6/month. After a bit over a year, a part of my razor's handle broke. I emailed them about it and they sent me a new one at no charge.

I highly recommend the DSC.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I know a few people that used them before they decided to stop shaving. One guy still uses them because he shaves to keep a good seal on his mask (volunteer firefighter). He has always seemed to like them and thinks it is a good deal.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My question about the blades is do they clean out easily? Every blade besides the Gillette Mach/Fusion clogs with whiskers way to easy.it can be almost impossible to get the other blades clean enough so they work. That is the only reason I still use them. I shave my head about 4 times a week and my face 5-6 times.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    (Referral links to Amazon below fyi)

Bigtanker, go get a nice Double Edge handle like this here:

Amazon.com: Merkur Classic Safety Razor, Straight: Health & Personal Care

and pick up these blades:

Amazon.com: Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades, 100 Count: Beauty

Now, if you want a great shaving cream I like the Taylor of old Bond Street stuff here:

Amazon.com: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl, 5.3-Ounce: Beauty

Now get yourself a nice badger brush:

Amazon.com: Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush: Health & Personal Care

And you are all set for life (except for maybe $10 every 4-5 years for blades.

My dad learned to shave with a DE blade, and I've used one for over a decade. $30 bought me roughly 15 years worth of blades.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I too use DSC.
    I just use the humble twin and it works really well.
    I don't think the blades last any longer than other blades. I just don't care about changing one out because I don't need to sell a gun to buy more razor blades.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I signed up for them a couple of years ago, right when they first started. My son did the same.

Within a few weeks, I started getting more SPAM email than I thought possible. Then my son's and his roommate's debit cards, that they used on the site, were both compromised. That was the only place they could think of where they had both used the cards. It turned us off of DSC pretty quick.

Then we did some research. It turns out that DSC gets their blades & handles from Dorco USA. This is their web site: DORCO - Disposable Razors, Shaving Systems, Shavers, 6 Blade, Blades, Cartridges, Cartridge, Mens, Womens

I ordered about a year's supply from them. That initial order is just about gone now, but they have been great and were quite a bit less expensive than DSC.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Supposedly what kills blades is putting them away wet, not our whiskers. There are many who claim that if you can totally dry out your razor and they will last for months if not years.

Ive tried and managed to get two months out of a standard triple blade head... And I'm a wuss who can't handle a dull blade so their theory seems well based.

Eventually I gave up and decided to switch to an electric. It was just easier. :dunno:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My only problem with the DSC/Dorco cartridges is occasionally the blade part would break away from the retaining clip that holds it onto the handle making it really annoying to shave with and essentially necessitating getting a new cartridge, even if that one was only a day or two old. Still at the savings difference between that and the Gillette/Shick world it's still worth it. I started using an old safety razor though and will never look back. Fresh blade every day and a year supply is about $20 for the good stuff.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Supposedly what kills blades is putting them away wet, not our whiskers. There are many who claim that if you can totally dry out your razor and they will last for months if not years.

Ive tried and managed to get two months out of a standard triple blade head... And I'm a wuss who can't handle a dull blade so their theory seems well based.

Eventually I gave up and decided to switch to an electric. It was just easier. :dunno:

I tried dropping my blades in baby oil to keep them from rusting. All that did was make the lubricating strip disappear quicker. Not sure if it effected the sharpness because I could tell a difference once that strip was gone.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    My order arrived today-well, everything but the blades anyway.

I did go ahead and use the Dr Carvers Shave Butter today though. First time using anything like that and already love it.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My order arrived today-well, everything but the blades anyway.

I did go ahead and use the Dr Carvers Shave Butter today though. First time using anything like that and already love it.

It's a bit on the pricier side of the shaving supplies spectrum, but I really love this stuff:

Amazon.com: Proraso Shaving Soap, Eucalyptus & Menthol, 5.2 oz (150 ml), New Formulation: Beauty

Does an awesome job, has a great scent, and leaves you with a slight tingle. I used to get really bad psoriasis around my mouth that required pretty constant attention, got away from the cream in a can and haven't had a problem since.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    It's a bit on the pricier side of the shaving supplies spectrum, but I really love this stuff:

Amazon.com: Proraso Shaving Soap, Eucalyptus & Menthol, 5.2 oz (150 ml), New Formulation: Beauty

Does an awesome job, has a great scent, and leaves you with a slight tingle. I used to get really bad psoriasis around my mouth that required pretty constant attention, got away from the cream in a can and haven't had a problem since.

I've had issues for a number of years with getting irritation on my neck. I seemed to be real sensitive to the fragrances or so I thought. Went to an all natural gel in a can that didn't help. I even tried 6 laser treatments and that did nothing. Finally gave some good creams that I'd lather up and use a brush. A little better, but still have to take some days off or have really bad bumps.

It was just one day with this stuff from DSC, but if I feel in 2-3 weeks like earlier, I won't use anything else.

Brassman65

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    anderson
    I looked into them but decided to stick with my Norelco Cool Skin, I have had this razor for almost 10 years and it has never let me down or broke.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    (Referral links to Amazon below fyi)

Bigtanker, go get a nice Double Edge handle like this here:

Amazon.com: Merkur Classic Safety Razor, Straight: Health & Personal Care

and pick up these blades:

Amazon.com: Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades, 100 Count: Beauty

Now, if you want a great shaving cream I like the Taylor of old Bond Street stuff here:

Amazon.com: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl, 5.3-Ounce: Beauty

Now get yourself a nice badger brush:

Amazon.com: Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush: Health & Personal Care

And you are all set for life (except for maybe $10 every 4-5 years for blades.

My dad learned to shave with a DE blade, and I've used one for over a decade. $30 bought me roughly 15 years worth of blades.

I dove in, just waiting for stuff to arrive. If I decide to stick with it, I have my eye on a vintage Gillette Fatboy.

"Nickel shave club" FTW!!

Top Bottom