• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I live in a fairly rural area went out to start my truck this morning and saw someone roll out from under my truck. I yelled at the person and ran after him but let's just say I wasn't warring the right attire for a high speed foot pursuit. Anyway a new cat is just out of my budget at this time. Question is if someone in this position was to put a straight pipe in it's place would it damage anything ? What about not having 02 sensors ?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some vehicles have sensors before and after the cat. If you pipe it the computor may put up a code and go to limp home mode. Can't say unless you specify make and year.

Thieves really suck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's a 97 Tacoma. Looks like it had one before and after.

You can pipe it but be aware it may cause some issue's with millage etc. I am not sure how the Toyota ECU will work with this issues.

Just goes to show no one is safe from idiots thieves and predators anymore.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Wait, if the guy was still under your truck when you started it, the Cat Converter should still be there. Just have the cuts in the pipes welded shut???

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Toyota cats are very valuable. The thing is I was recently told scrap yards were no longer taking them unless you could show a car title of the brand of vehicle it came from.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Wait, if the guy was still under your truck when you started it, the Cat Converter should still be there. Just have the cuts in the pipes welded shut???

He was just getting up from under it when I saw him and started to chase him. To dark to get a good look at him. Cat is gone I check after I gave up the chase.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Careful for CO poisoning now. Sorry, that sucks. I wish you could just give them $100 to leave you alone and not deal with the headaches of their theft.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I can't imagine an '97 would do anything more than show a Service Engine Soon light. You can get a universal cat from e-bay for around $50 if you can weld it in. Insurance would likely cover it as well since it was vandalism.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Thanks for the input. I just flat out wasn't prepared. I had just woke up and was in my robe and untied work boots. Lol. I run 6 miles a day so given a different set of circumstances a foot pursuit would have been ok. Called the only junk yard who still takes junk cats. and gave them the info. Only one within 30miles who still takes them.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I can't imagine an '97 would do anything more than show a Service Engine Soon light. You can get a universal cat from e-bay for around $50 if you can weld it in. Insurance would likely cover it as well since it was vandalism.

This.

Pre-2001 are still pretty "dumb" ECU's

You'll get a check engine light. You may go into "limp mode" you may have worse mileage.

as far as your vehicle is concerned though, don't sweat it.

Warrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Many times those jerks will cut out the cat on both sides of where it bolts together requiring replacement of the pipes ahead of and behind the cat. That can easily be $2000+ for OEM at the dealer (best solution). Toyota ECM's don't often care for the operation of aftermarket cats as your Tacoma has pre and post converter sensors. IF you choose an aftermarket solution get the warranty/guarantee in writing as you may be replacing it a few times during its lifespan.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You may be able to get a module to plug into your O2 Sensor that will trick it into thinking the cat is working properly when there is just a straight pipe.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    There's a guy at work who has had his catalytic converter cut off / stolen three times while at work now. I can't help but feel sorry, but when you park faraway from a main route people take that makes it easier for thieves to steal.

I'm very thankful I've never had this happen to my vehicle.

Top Bottom