• ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Not an April fools joke.

Anyone here that is or was in the military get "pinned" after a promotion ceremony? It's where they put your rank insignia pins through the collar and the underlying material of your blouse/jacket. Then they work the pins into your flesh and start punching and pounding.

I have a melanoma spot right where this happened that had to get burned off with liquid nitrogen a few years ago and it's back along with a larger spot on my back. Just wondering if anyone with pinning experience knows of or has the same problem...cancer from a hazing ceremony.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This page suggests basal or squamous cell, but not melanoma from scars.

What You Need To Know About™ Melanoma and Other Skin Cancers - National Cancer Institute

Other Risk Factors for Both Basal Cell and Squamous Cell Skin Cancers

The following risk factors increase the risk of basal cell and squamous cell skin cancers:

• Old scars, burns, ulcers, or areas of inflammation on the skin

I googled it and came across this

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/340491-melanoma-getting-your-rank-pinned.html

Last edited:

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I had a melanoma surgically removed (twice) from my chest. No pinning for me though. Make sure to watch your other spots, Melanoma is a heartless killer.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    Pinned like a SOB when I got Corporal. bleed through my cammies lol. but no infection or cancer yet lol. I just made Sergeant so i get to have fun agian real soon! lol.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I got "pinned" at least 3 times, possibly 4, I would have to think about it to remember for sure. My unit was messed up to because EVERYBODY got to "pin" you, not just the ones who had something equivalent or higher. Had to use pliers to pull out my corporal rank to. No melanoma for me. No scarring either, just good memories.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Alright, cool guys. Thought it may just be coincidence but had to ask. Had Lcpl and Cpl pinned. Nobody touched me when I got Sgt.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Wow, sorry to vear off from cancer, but as a civilian, whats the deal with this pinning thing? Right of passage? Macho men proving how macho they are? That sounds like a terrible tradition...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I had a melanoma surgically removed (twice) from my chest. No pinning for me though. Make sure to watch your other spots, Melanoma is a heartless killer.

We'd ALL do well to heed this.

Weird to think that a tiny little "mole" on your back / leg / neck can kill you - but it can.

It took my wife's grandmother 4-ish years ago.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Wow, sorry to vear off from cancer, but as a civilian, whats the deal with this pinning thing? Right of passage? Macho men proving how macho they are? That sounds like a terrible tradition...

You can add macho women also, like a female Bn Cdr said .. "act like you have a pair .. balls or ovaries, your choice" :):

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Unnatural act, allowing someone to hurt you on purpose. Like fraternity hazing, it serves to cement your loyalties. "It was worth getiing hurt for so it must be good!" Same thing applies to getting beat into a gang. It's stupid and childish and unnecessary. I'm ex military too. Pinning is just more stupid hazing. You can be a loyal member of the group without it.:twocents:

Top Bottom