Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

Listening to the interviews of some of the victims and parents is a bit of an indication of why we are going in the wrong direction on this problem. They are busy trying to analyze and think their way through this rather than being stomping mad and asking why no one seen this coming.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    I heard Adam Carolla talking about his 6 year old son who complained that he was being bullied. When Adam asked him how he was bullied, he said he was trying to talk to another kid and that kid put his hands over his own ears and did not want to listen. Adam's son got the impression that anything anyone did that didn't make him feel good was being "bullied". This is symbolic and points out a problem.
    I listen to his podcast daily so I have only heard that story in the hundreds of times, for some reason it's funnier when he tells it.

The problem it points out is that it belittles those who are legitimately harmed by peers. We just seem to have a need to apply a name to something that describes that something in it's most severe state.

I heard children of divorced parents the other day being described as having PTSD. Unless there was physical abuse in the home, I highly doubt PTSD is an accurate description of the condition they suffered from. Is divorce often traumatic and stressful, sure. But is the same trauma and stress that soldiers in combat are under?
    Necessity is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Shooter

User Info Menu

In 10 years nearly half of our population will be retired. Currently Baby Boomers are 50 and older.

Millennals are 15 to about age 34, Gen-X are 35 to 49. If 74% of the Millennals are so screwed up that even the military will not take them then what jobs can they hold? Less than 25% have a college degree. And most of them are not in engineering or science. A large percentage of Millennals are just like Simeon Adams. After who had children, it was the minorities. Guess who is out there.

Yeah I have a number of Gen-Xers and Millennals in my office. Good kids, educated. But so clueless at times. So ill prepared by their parents, by their schools. We spend a lot of time retraining them on basic life skills that they should have had before they went to college. And these are the elite kids.

Just remember that by 2025 over half of the US population will be retired. HALF!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    In 10 years nearly half of our population will be retired. Currently Baby Boomers are 50 and older.

Millennals are 15 to about age 34, Gen-X are 35 to 49. If 74% of the Millennals are so screwed up that even the military will not take them then what jobs can they hold? Less than 25% have a college degree. And most of them are not in engineering or science. A large percentage of Millennals are just like Simeon Adams. After who had children, it was the minorities. Guess who is out there.

Yeah I have a number of Gen-Xers and Millennals in my office. Good kids, educated. But so clueless at times. So ill prepared by their parents, by their schools. We spend a lot of time retraining them on basic life skills that they should have had before they went to college. And these are the elite kids.

Just remember that by 2025 over half of the US population will be retired. HALF!
    I'm a millennial. The military "wouldn't take me" because of Ocular Hypertension (that actually isn't ocular hypertension, but rather high read pressures due to thicker-than-normal corneas...but since the Pentagon doesn't prescribe to modern ophthalmology here I am), so I fall into your ever-quoted 74% that the military "won't take". Despite scoring a 423 out of 500 on the Air Force PFT.

I manage two airplanes and fly a jet at 45,000ft by myself.

I'm not "unique" in being highly educated and capable of employment, yet unqualified for military service.

The Death of the Republic due to the "failings" of youth have been spoken since probably 1776...and yet, the Republic is still here...
    "'Gun guys' can find a way to get butthurt about just about anything."

Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by avboiler11 View Post
    I'm a millennial. The military "wouldn't take me" because of Ocular Hypertension (that actually isn't ocular hypertension, but rather high read pressures due to thicker-than-normal corneas...but since the Pentagon doesn't prescribe to modern ophthalmology here I am), so I fall into your ever-quoted 74% that the military "won't take". Despite scoring a 423 out of 500 on the Air Force PFT.

I manage two airplanes and fly a jet at 45,000ft by myself.

I'm not "unique" in being highly educated and capable of employment, yet unqualified for military service.

The Death of the Republic due to the "failings" of youth have been spoken since probably 1776...and yet, the Republic is still here...
    No, we did not start complaining about youth in America until 1910 when the Frontier ended. Before 1910, if a kid could not make it, he died. But with prosperity we became softer, fatter and lazy each generation.

While you may be successful, you are a very small minority of your age group. Well over half of your age group was born into a minority family. And often into poverty. Simeon Adams is more typical of a Millennal than you are.

Look we hire lots of Millennals and Gen-Xers at work. University trained, mostly in science. We have to teach basic life skills. They have never changed a tire (we do field work where we might be too remote for someone to come to help). Most lack tool knowledge so we have to teach them how to repair equipment, to build things. Most have trouble troubleshooting or thinking logically through a problem.

Frankly we want college educated farm boys. City kids have too many holes in their basic education.

User Info Menu

Look we hire lots of Millennals and Gen-Xers at work. University trained, mostly in science. We have to teach basic life skills. They have never changed a tire (we do field work where we might be too remote for someone to come to help). Most lack tool knowledge so we have to teach them how to repair equipment, to build things. Most have trouble troubleshooting or thinking logically through a problem.

Frankly we want college educated farm boys. City kids have too many holes in their basic education.
    So how old are you? The oldest GenXers are over 50 now! (the original definition when the term was coined was born 1960-1980).

Of course, the oldest of the group vary quite a bit based at least in part on how old their parents were. Those of us who had "old" parents have more in common with boomers and those of born to then 18 year olds are probably more likely to fit your stereotype.

​rhino out!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    So how old are you? The oldest GenXers are over 50 now! (the original definition when the term was coined was born 1960-1980).

Of course, the oldest of the group vary quite a bit based at least in part on how old their parents were. Those of us who had "old" parents have more in common with boomers and those of born to then 18 year olds are probably more likely to fit your stereotype.

​rhino out!
    I didn't realize I qualified as a Gen Xer... I do agree that having a Dad that grew up in the depression and fought in WW 2, gave me a different outlook than many of my fellows.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post

​rhino out!
    Baby Boomers were born from 1946 to 1964
    Gen-Xers were born from 1965 to 1981
    Millennals were born from 1982 to 2000
    the Generation after next is those younger than 14 (born in 2001)

User Info Menu

While i see the point you are trying to make and i do agree with you that a vast majority of children are being raised...umm...poorly (? probably a bad choice of words, but thats all i got right now)...i have to point out something.

Millennals are 15 to about age 34 (thats me) , Gen-X are 35 to 49. If 74% of the Millennals are so screwed up that even the military will not take them (yep, they sure wont...but its because of a heart condition i was born with) then what jobs can they hold? (currently? Design Engineer and Project Manager for a fabrication company specializing in material handling equipment working with very large, well known companies worldwide) Less than 25% have a college degree. (yup, got me one of those too...man, im batting a thousand) And most of them are not in engineering (guess again ) or science. A large percentage of Millennals are just like Simeon Adams. After who had children, it was the minorities. Guess who is out there.

In fact, i am who i am today despite growing up in one of those "PTSD kid from a broken homes" (not your quote, but i saw it referenced earlier...i dont think the OP agreed with it either)...

No, we did not start complaining about youth in America until 1910 when the Frontier ended. Before 1910, if a kid could not make it, he died. But with prosperity we became softer, fatter and lazy each generation.

While you may be successful, you are a very small minority of your age group. Well over half of your age group was born into a minority family. And often into poverty. Simeon Adams is more typical of a Millennal than you are.

I'm sure there's more of us out there...

What im getting at is that i dont think that these kids are as lost as you think...but if something doesn't change, they soon will be
    Last edited by TheEngineer; 04-10-2014 at 14:54.
    Don't carry a gun because you're afraid...carry one so you don't have to be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    I didn't realize I qualified as a Gen Xer... I do agree that having a Dad that grew up in the depression and fought in WW 2, gave me a different outlook than many of my fellows.

Had the same kind of Dad also, I was born in 61'......in my day we said the Pledge of Allegiance, and had Bible class in the public elementary school, but even by then prayer had been kicked out of school. And as we all "know" now, the schools are so much better, so much more liberated, and so much safer. Why didn't we get rid of those 3 things long ago. Add purple where needed.

Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants. William Penn

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast