Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 97
  1. #81
    Somewhat Purple-ish rhino's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    I didn't realize I qualified as a Gen Xer... I do agree that having a Dad that grew up in the depression and fought in WW 2, gave me a different outlook than many of my fellows.
    Yep.



    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Baby Boomers were born from 1946 to 1964
    Gen-Xers were born from 1965 to 1981
    Millennals were born from 1982 to 2000
    the Generation after next is those younger than 14 (born in 2001)
    Curious ... where did you get those delineations?

    The problem with these labels is that people have arbitrarily changed them since the terms were first used. Baby Boomers is obviously based on birth numbers, but the tail end of that "generation" was legitimately included in GenX originally. I was "around" the people who coined and used the term "Generation X" in the early 1990s. It definitely was applied to people born from 1960 through 1980, regardless of what historical references would report today.

    In my opinion, "generations" should have overlap anyway.



    "The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    To prevail you must ACT!

  2. #82
    Shooter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Yep.





    Curious ... where did you get those delineations?

    The problem with these labels is that people have arbitrarily changed them since the terms were first used. Baby Boomers is obviously based on birth numbers, but the tail end of that "generation" was legitimately included in GenX originally. I was "around" the people who coined and used the term "Generation X" in the early 1990s. It definitely was applied to people born from 1960 through 1980, regardless of what historical references would report today.

    In my opinion, "generations" should have overlap anyway.
    From several sources to include several sociology classes, several political science classes.

    Start with to givens. 1) a generation is determined to be 18 years in length.
    2) it was common knowledge, repeated in just about every news article discussing this subject, that the Baby Boomers were those born between 1946 and 1964.

    With those two givens, the duration of the Gen-Xers and Millennals can be determined.

    From Baby boomers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If the 1946-1964 Baby Boomer is taken, that is 18 years in total duration, 9 years would be midway point into the boom, the year 1955. The person born in 1955 reaches retirement age of 65 in the year 2020, with an expected additional 17–20 years of life [3]
    Also here for the Boomers Generations X,Y, Z and the Others...Social Librarian Newsletter - WJ Schroer Company
    And here for Gen-X and Millennals Generations X,Y, Z and the Others...Social Librarian Newsletter - WJ Schroer Company
    Though he does split generations into half generations.

    Date/Age Range of Baby Boomers, Gen X, and Gen Y | The Echo Boom I disagree with his overlapping of Gen-X and Millennals.

    But you get the idea.

  3. #83
    Grandmaster HoughMade's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Grouping people into these largely arbitrary groups is useless except to the pointy-headed academics.

    Take people one at a time. Some young people work hard and learn well, others don't.

    Trying to diagnose societal problems based upon large groups as a whole and implementing a one-size-fits a generation solution has not resulted in better outcomes.
    "Research just slows the funny down." - Dr.Midnight

  4. #84
    Shooter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    Grouping people into these largely arbitrary groups is useless except to the pointy-headed academics.

    Take people one at a time. Some young people work hard and learn well, others don't.

    Trying to diagnose societal problems based upon large groups as a whole and implementing a one-size-fits a generation solution has not resulted in better outcomes.
    Journalists use such groupings. The reason that scientists label and classify is that it makes more convenient to study behavior. It gives a starting point for comparison. As these are common groupings, it is referenced frequently. Thus it is assumed that you would know who makes up a Baby Boomer, a Gen-Xer or a Millennal. These groupings then make a shorthand for quick communications.

  5. #85
    Grandmaster nakinate's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    Grouping people into these largely arbitrary groups is useless except to the pointy-headed academics.

    Take people one at a time. Some young people work hard and learn well, others don't.

    Trying to diagnose societal problems based upon large groups as a whole and implementing a one-size-fits a generation solution has not resulted in better outcomes.
    There is much wisdom in ^^^this post.

  6. #86
    Grandmaster nakinate's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Journalists use such groupings. The reason that scientists label and classify is that it makes more convenient to study behavior. It gives a starting point for comparison. As these are common groupings, it is referenced frequently. Thus it is assumed that you would know who makes up a Baby Boomer, a Gen-Xer or a Millennal. These groupings then make a shorthand for quick communications.
    That's pretty much what Hough said. It is great for study and research. It useless for trying to solve societal ills.

  7. #87
    Grandmaster actaeon277's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    I thought Baby Boomers were from the WWII guys coming home and their wives getting pregnant soon after.

    Those born in 1965 must have had some self control.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

    "A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

    If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

    Actaeon - act'-tee-on
    The death of Actaeon - http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/Actaeon.html


  8. #88
    Shooter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by nakinate View Post
    That's pretty much what Hough said. It is great for study and research. It useless for trying to solve societal ills.
    I run into folks like these here who just dislike the fact that people do naturally group themselves. Birds of feather flock together. While you may want to be seen as individual, almost everyone shares common behavior with one or more groups.

    Public Opinion Polls can predict behavior of groups with 500 to 1000 people in the sample. Frankly it is just too difficult to see everyone as an individual when you are trying to make public policy. And when you are trying to determine how elections will turn out. Plus similar procedures are used to make marketing or economic decisions. Corporations also look at groups rather than individuals.

    Sorry but you may be an individual. But because of your environment, you decisions and a few other factors, all of you do group. Once we understand the group dynamics, we can predict your behavior about 80% of the time.

  9. #89
    Grandmaster Expat's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post
    I thought Baby Boomers were from the WWII guys coming home and their wives getting pregnant soon after.

    Those born in 1965 must have had some self control.
    I was my Dad's first and born in 1960, younger brother in 64. The doctor said it wasn't uncommon for some of the returning WW2 vets to be near sterile for awhile after the war due to combat stress. I have no idea if true, but that is what Mom said the doctor told them.

  10. #90
    Grandmaster Bunnykid68's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Journalists use such groupings. The reason that scientists label and classify is that it makes more convenient to study behavior. It gives a starting point for comparison. As these are common groupings, it is referenced frequently. Thus it is assumed that you would know who makes up a Baby Boomer, a Gen-Xer or a Millennal. These groupings then make a shorthand for quick communications.
    That assumes a lot because I have no idea who hits what groupings and do not see any point to it in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
    The bunny is legion. It cannot be banned.
    I cut grass for a living

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •