• ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    So here I am spewing drama for you...

I'm about to be put in a potentially dangerous situation. A friend of my sons at school have parents who are suddenly in the throws of divorce and the mom has a restraining order put on the father today. I was asked to bring their son home with me tomorrow and I have a bad feeling that the father is going to come to our house and get his son. I was told to call the police if he shows up. I am fairly good friends with this guy who is suddenly demonstrating a potentially dangerous state of mind. The mother has no one else to turn to, but imagine if you were the father being told by some other guy that you can't have your son.

I can only hope that he maintains himself through this terrible process and doesn't bring himself to violence.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

I'm about to be put in a potentially dangerous situation. A friend of my sons at school have parents who are suddenly in the throws of divorce and the mom has a restraining order put on the father today. I was asked to bring their son home with me tomorrow and I have a bad feeling that the father is going to come to our house and get his son. I was told to call the police if he shows up. I am fairly good friends with this guy who is suddenly demonstrating a potentially dangerous state of mind. The mother has no one else to turn to, but imagine if you were the father being told by some other guy that you can't have your son.

I can only hope that he maintains himself through this terrible process and doesn't bring himself to violence.

F that noise. Don't get in the middle of that nonsense.

Why are you to bring their son home?
    Mom needs to call off work, whatever and get her own kid and keep you out of it.
    I understand wanting to help but no offense to you..... you have no place in this situation.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    The kids are good friends and we've watched each other's children many times over. The mother is a teacher and her car is out of commission. The dad took off with his truck. This has all happened in the past 2 days. Many more details but regardless, I couldn't just say no to offering some assistance.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Trust me, the reason I don't have friends from around here is exactly this fact, they tend to bring their drama right to your doorstep. It wasn't something foreseen.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Loan her your car.

I truly, truly understand the wanting to help thing but dad shows up and you tell him no to his kid?

Prepare for the inevitable **** storm to follow.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    If he is your friend as well I think I would have to say no to this one. Unless the mom has a really good reason for the restraining order. You said he is "suddenly demonstrating a potentially dangerous state of mind", would you not be if you were losing everything you knew including your child. You also say he took off in his work truck, should he have. Left it there for her?

I am am not trying to judge you, just thinking about the information provided and if it's a situation where she is using the restraining order to "get at him", then he could probably use a good friend.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Trust me, the reason I don't have friends from around here is exactly this fact, they tend to bring their drama right to your doorstep. It wasn't something foreseen.

I have been in exactly this situation from my sister and my wifes sister. How do you say no when a child or in my case children are at stake. The dads were both off the deep end drinking and doing drugs. I picked the kids up from school by pre-arrangement with the school. I was the only person save the moms to get them. These situations happened a few years apart but after the 1st go round I knew what to do.
    Yes, the Dads tried to come and get the kids. Yes, both were drunk or high when they did. Yes, both went to jail. Yes, it ended in serious issues between me and them but it was their loss over all. I still see the kids a lot. They have no relationship with the dads as the kids were just a way to get back at the females.
    I still see the dads on occasion but they know better than to speak to me. My son works for a major towing service and he had to snatch up one of the idiots cars when he was popped DUI. Some folks never really get it.

Do as you will with these kids. If there is a restraining order on Dad use it if he shows his A$$. Be civil, give him every opportunity to roll. If he makes a bad decision it will be on him.
    Try your best not to humiliate him in front of the kids. This is not their fault. They need to make up their own minds about him.

JMHO.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If you keep the son away, you can and likely will be charged with kidnapping.

If the mother has a RO that applies to the son, she needs to supply you with a copy during transit. He should already have a copy anyways. If this is the case, do the right thing and call if he approaches. Other than that, you have set yourself up for a huge amount of failure and maybe a new paint job on you vehicle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you keep the son away, you can and likely will be charged with kidnapping.

If the mother has a RO that applies to the son, she needs to supply you with a copy during transit. He should already have a copy anyways. If this is the case, do the right thing and call if he approaches. Other than that, you have set yourself up for a huge amount of failure and maybe a new paint job on you vehicle.

I see you really do not know how this works. I also see you would do harm to property. HHhhhmmmmmmmmmm.....:scratch:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I also am worried about a kidnapping charge if a legal parent is obstructed from gaining access to their child by someone. How is that not kidnapping? The mother cannot void dad's rights on a whim. A judge can, but not mom.

I wouldn't block him if he comes over. Call the police and use your prior friendship to stall. Sounds like the kid is being used as a pawn. Sad.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If mom has given instructions to pick up the boy and an RO is in place yes, call LEO and let him sort it out. No kidnapping charges will be brought against you if you do it right. If dad appears under the influence stand your ground and wait on LE.

There is no cut and dried answer to this situation. Yes, you are putting your self in the middle of a domestic issue and it is a total catch for you. In the end you may loose a friend or both friends.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I've already voiced my concern with the mother about it being a dangerous situation. The restraining order is for the boy as well. I told her the best I can legally do (without consulting an attorney myself) is to call the cops as soon as I see him pull into the driveway. From there I've only minutes, if he is willing to listen to reason, before it could get hairy. I asked if his rifle is still in the house and she naively said that he took it with him. She's supposed to come pick him up at 6:30 so I think my best strategy would be to take all the kids somewhere immediately after school and not show back up til 6:30.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    This is all about the worst case scenario. He might actually be thinking about how stupid he's been and what he's done to their relationship. I just don't know.

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

I worked for a guy that had his Sister's kids because her estranged husband broke into her house and killed her. Domestic situations can be dangerous. Be sure you protect yourself.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom