• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Specifically - something "light to medium brown" and 2.5 - 3.0 yards.

McCarty, the 2000lb gorilla of "south side mulch" wants ~ $195 for 3 yards (minimum delivered quantity) of Cypress, and ~$170 for the same quantity western red cedar.

I think the price of the cypress puts it out of reach... But is the western red cedar price competitive? Should I quibble over $25?

Anyone in Greenwood have a rig capable of hauling (with a minimum of loss!) 3.0 yards of mulch? :D

Where else should I shop?

Thanks.

-J-

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Lowes has (had?) 2cuft bags on sale for $2 each. 3 cuyd would be 40 bags, $80. Add $59 for delivery if you don't have a truck. $150 bucks with tax. Only three color choices though, brown, red, black. If it's not currently on sale it will be again before Memorial Day.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Another option... if you're not as picky about color... is to find a tree service doing work in your area and talk them into dumping their chipper truck in your driveway. I've done that a lot. It's free, and honestly, after a couple of months in the sun, that colored stuff doesn't look much different than the natural wood chips. Just make sure they have sharp blades on their chipper, otherwise you'll have to pick out the twigs and stringy pieces of wood. Early or late in the season is best too, when the leaves are off the trees.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Another option... if you're not as picky about color... is to find a tree service doing work in your area and talk them into dumping their chipper truck in your driveway. I've done that a lot. It's free, and honestly, after a couple of months in the sun, that colored stuff doesn't look much different than the natural wood chips. Just make sure they have sharp blades on their chipper, otherwise you'll have to pick out the twigs and stringy pieces of wood. Early or late in the season is best too, when the leaves are off the trees.
    Chips are not mulch.

Chips are made to reduce bulk. Mulch is ground to a desired size and is let sit to season and allow the excess nitrogen to naturally escape.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'll look into Tiffany.

OK, but be prepared for what you might find. You should totally call them up and use new lyrics to the song to ask your question

I think I need mulch now
    There doesn't seem to be any, on my ground.
    I think I need mulch now
    Your place is the cheapest one I've found around.

[video=youtube;w6Q3mHyzn78]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Q3mHyzn78[/video]

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Lowes has (had?) 2cuft bags on sale for $2 each. 3 cuyd would be 40 bags, $80. Add $59 for delivery if you don't have a truck. $150 bucks with tax. Only three color choices though, brown, red, black. If it's not currently on sale it will be again before Memorial Day.
    Did that from Home Depot a couple weekends ago... In my Mazda 3. Brought home 36 bags in four trips.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I will never buy from Tiffany's again. I paid for 5yards last year, they delivered about 3 1/2 with 1/2 yard of dirt mixed in it. I had to threaten to stop payment on my credit card to get them to deliver the remaining 2 yards. Now mind you, this is with me paying full price on their premium dyed, no coupons and a $75 delivery fee. I have purchased from them before loading it into my own truck where I can watch it loaded. However, just from the hassle they put me through I will not buy from them again.

Top Bottom