• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I was helping a friend cleanout his basement and found a old lawn mower in the corner.
    I recently moved and now have a small yard to mow, so he gave it to me.

It's a '98 vintage Yard Machine with a Briggs &Stratton engine.

Thing is, it's been sitting for at least 10 years(and has very little use).
    Manually turned the blade and pulled the cord, doesn't seem seized..

Is there anything special I have to do to get it going besides, air filter, new plug, clean the carb, gas treatment and oil change?

Thanks

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And if it won't start after that... Then perhaps the plug wire.

Should run for another 50 years once it's going. Those old "real" B&S engines are good kit.

-J-

The roto tiller we use was my dads. He bought in in 1868 or so if memory serves. dad sold it to a friend of mine and we used it steadily until last year. He loaned it to a buddy who tried to cut a trench with it. Burned it up. I got it running but the old Briggs laid down for good. 45 + years ain't bad. Would still be running but for an idiot.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    That should get you running. If it's 2-stroke, there won't be any oil to change. It'll need to be mixed with the gas.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    The roto tiller we use was my dads. He bought in in 1868 or so if memory serves. dad sold it to a friend of mine and we used it steadily until last year. He loaned it to a buddy who tried to cut a trench with it. Burned it up. I got it running but the old Briggs laid down for good. 45 + years ain't bad. Would still be running but for an idiot.
    Was it steam powered??? My math is off??!!! Just kiddin CM... Older mechanical equipment is so much better than the current crop of Chinese outsourced crap!!!!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

You are a lot older than I thought. If your dad bought it in 1868 than you must be over 100......... and the Roto tiller must be worth a fortune!

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I would squirt some spray oil in the cylinder with the plug out and pull it a dozen times to try and get some lube in the cylinder. If its a 2 stroke Briggs circa 1998 it would be the first one I have ever seen. In my older gas engines I am mixing a touch of 2 stroke oil in the gas just to try and give them a bit of extra lube

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Yep. Like others are saying, shouldn't be too much trouble getting it going. After some service, it may be a bit hard to start at first but once you get it going it should start much easier. I've got a couple old engines around here I need to get going. One is on a generator and the other is an old push mower. They've both been sitting for years. I'd be willing to bet money that I could get them both going with a few hours work and a couple drinks. I hope whoever has the names "Briggs" and "Stratton" are very rich because they made a damn good product.

Top Bottom