• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I dug about a 16" and a 20" stump over the weekend. I have a Deere 4120 compact tractor with a 448 backhoe attachment. I started on this one yesterday. That's a 12" bucket for reference.

I dug for a total of 1 1/2 - 2 hours on this one and managed to break off a bucket tooth. This first one is the biggest piece. That grapple bucket is 60" wide for scale.

Here's the other one.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Tools like you have sure are handy to have around. My Dad picked up a used stump grinder for next to nothing a few years ago. That thing paid for itself in year one.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I went ahead and dug these up because I was getting tired of mowing around them with a 6' 3pt finishing mower. The one pictured was also kind of blocking my 100 yard backstop. Now that the stump is out, I can grade the ground a lot smoother and get rid of the ruts that hold water.

I would never have spent the $10k to buy that backhoe attachment new. It came with the package when I bought my tractor. I've thought about getting rid of the backhoe attachment in the past if I could get enough out of it but nah, I'm going to keep it. I dug my power trenches with it, stumps, fixed a tile, have another one to fix, 2 pet graves, etc.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If I had one and it was paid for, I'd keep it too. It's not something you need all that often but when you have one, I can imagine how much easier it would make your day to have it on hand. Now, I think I could get some fairly regular use out of a grapple bucket.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If I had one and it was paid for, I'd keep it too. It's not something you need all that often but when you have one, I can imagine how much easier it would make your day to have it on hand. Now, I think I could get some fairly regular use out of a grapple bucket.

Before I bought the grapple bucket, I tried moving brush piles with my pallet forks. The whole pile would fall off in 20'. That grapple has been amazing. I use it too hard and have had to weld it a few times. Not very good for digging other than small saplings but moving logs and brush? Can't beat it. I lift the stumps all the way up and drop them to help knock the dirt off before burning them.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Im looking into a very similar piece of equipment, can you share more about it? I have alot of land to clear, as in trails and also mow. I need something to dig out my creek and install culverts, also dig out any stumps that are in the way of my trails. Any more pics? What power plant does it have, the 3 cyl?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I dug about a 16" and a 20" stump over the weekend. I have a Deere 4120 compact tractor with a 448 backhoe attachment. I started on this one yesterday. That's a 12" bucket for reference.

I dug for a total of 1 1/2 - 2 hours on this one and managed to break off a bucket tooth. This first one is the biggest piece. That grapple bucket is 60" wide for scale.

Here's the other one.

She's pretty.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Im looking into a very similar piece of equipment, can you share more about it? I have alot of land to clear, as in trails and also mow. I need something to dig out my creek and install culverts, also dig out any stumps that are in the way of my trails. Any more pics? What power plant does it have, the 3 cyl?

Here's the tractor I have.
    John Deere 4120 Compact Utility Tractor 4000 Series Compact Utility Tractors JohnDeere.com
    It's a 4 cylinder 43hp diesel. It's the smallest hp engine in that chassis size.

I bought mine to do the prep work in my woods before building. I have 17 acres of woods and 10 tillable. I was looking for a used tractor or skid steer package that multiple attachments included. I bought my tractor 4 years old with less than 300 hours.

It came with tractor, self leveling loader, backhoe (12 & 24" buckets), power angle plow that fit on loader, pallet forks, box scraper, rear blade, 6' finish mower and a 20' 12,000# trailer. I got it all for the price of the tractor and loader if I bought it new. I paid $32k. I've since sold the trailer and power angle plow and bought the grapple bucket.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I do wish I had a belly mower instead of 3 point but I'd have to add a mid pto. With all the stuff I'd have to buy, it'd probably cost $3-4000.

5FCAC598-F57C-4BCF-A524-0C0908FF7746-3040-000001819C043D7D.jpg

D5942BF6-4173-47C1-A1D5-A807B48B3F2D.jpg

5BC001F5-5BAD-49D3-94CA-B374A8943781_2.jpg

11-14-2009woodscleanup014.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Oh wow, I need one of these... Have you ever messed with a Kubota?
    No, I haven't. The guy I bought this one from said his dad had a kubota and the Deere was a lot more comfortable to use. I wasn't loyal to any one brand when I bought this one. Heavily weighed the skid steer route but a tractor was better for long term use. I was after the best package deal I could find. Buying individual new attachments are very expensive. If you can find a package with all or most attachments you want, it's much cheaper.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Horn, I have to ask...you've talked about how much you make, along with a plethora of pictures of your house and toys. Do you have a sugar momma or did you miss your calling as the greatest financial planner ever? :):

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Lookin good buddy! Is that a 440 saw there? I went the aftermarket bucking spikes and it's made a big difference!

Those little tractors are handy to have around, no doubt. I keep hemming and hawing about getting rid of my big Deere (4430) and skidsteer and just consolidating into a nice 60hp Kubota. I love the hydrostat trans and even more, I love that it's too simple to use for my wife to get out of mowing or plowing.

I think there's gonna be a bigger excavator down tomorrow at my place. We'll see if the low-boy shows up. I'll show you some stump diggin as soon as I can get some pics up!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Horn, I have to ask...you've talked about how much you make, along with a plethora of pictures of your house and toys. Do you have a sugar momma or did you miss your calling as the greatest financial planner ever? :):

22 flipping business is good.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Lookin good buddy! Is that a 440 saw there? I went the aftermarket bucking spikes and it's made a big difference!

Those little tractors are handy to have around, no doubt. I keep hemming and hawing about getting rid of my big Deere (4430) and skidsteer and just consolidating into a nice 60hp Kubota. I love the hydrostat trans and even more, I love that it's too simple to use for my wife to get out of mowing or plowing.

I think there's gonna be a bigger excavator down tomorrow at my place. We'll see if the low-boy shows up. I'll show you some stump diggin as soon as I can get some pics up!

If I ever decide to dig I pond, I thought about buying an excavators I dig it and resell it after I'm done. Definitely don't have enough work to keep an excavator.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've never owned a Deere, but I've owned Kubota (great machine), New Holland (amazing machine) and currently own a Bobcat (adequate but much lower priced). I looked at Deere a couple times, just couldn't get the dealer to take me seriously so I bought the Kubota first, then upgraded to the New Holland, now I've downgraded to the Bobcat.

Kubota has the best engines.
    Case IH/New Holland have the best ergonomics.
    Bobcat (which was a Kioti with some upgrades) is a value priced machine that doesn't quite match the engine smoothness of the Kubota nor have the ergonomics of the New Holland designs, but its a brute with all of features at a much lower price.
    Deere has the second best engines and the second best ergonomics which makes for a great package, also has the best resale/retained value.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    22 flipping business is good.

This is awesome...

If I ever decide to dig I pond, I thought about buying an excavators I dig it and resell it after I'm done. Definitely don't have enough work to keep an excavator.

I'm renting. I know a few guys and the short story is I gots my hands on a brandy new unit for $40/hr on the meter. I don't have the sustainable load for one either. I'm putting in another pond in a spot. It's ALWAYS wet, and has the right base. Might as well have a pond instead of constant mud. Got a few (ha!) stumps to pull and that'll help me finish off my longer distance range as well. I'll take pics.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This is awesome...

I'm renting. I know a few guys and the short story is I gots my hands on a brandy new unit for $40/hr on the meter. I don't have the sustainable load for one either. I'm putting in another pond in a spot. It's ALWAYS wet, and has the right base. Might as well have a pond instead of constant mud. Got a few (ha!) stumps to pull and that'll help me finish off my longer distance range as well. I'll take pics.

Sounds good. $40 an hour is a steal.

It's a 361 saw. I have a 200t as well. Nice thing about a woods is that few trees ever get to 24". My basement and septic guy dug out several stumps. Even with a decent sized excavator, it can take awhile to get a stump out.

Top Bottom