• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    They're all over my porch. Just wondering if they're bad for flowers/gardening.

10373668_1423733291235365_2168428067585795007_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10373668_1423733291235365_2168428067585795007_n.jpg
      10373668_1423733291235365_2168428067585795007_n.jpg
      151.2 KB · Views: 2

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Nuke it from orbit.

Or try http://www.ruralking.com/pbi-gordon-permethrin-10-1-quart.html It is 10% permethrin ,you do not use it at that strength though.We use it around the house in a pump spray diluted to 2% and on our trails diluted to around .5%.It goes a really long way and will kill/deter any insect.No ticks,no mosquitoes,even the black flies hate it.The link posted is for treating horse stalls,but it does come with a dilution chart for area and foundation treatments.Most permethrin you see sold(like Sawyer)is either .5% or at most 1% at around $10 dollars for 1/2 pint spray bottles,so $20.00 for a quart of 10% is a great price.One treatment last roughly 3 months if it is a semi dry area(foundation)or around 1-2 months on trails.

*****WARNING*****
    It is toxic to cats http://www.icatcare.org/permethrin/vet-info . Dogs have no known reaction to it,and most dog flea dips are in fact permethrin based.

Last edited:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Like some others said......BoxElder bugs......they'a be EVERwhere.....'specially if sumthin's light color'd or white......female tree's the pro'lem, they stay under the bark. Git rid the tree, ya git rid the pro'lem........:yesway:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    there are no box or any other elder near me, what else do they eat? I have a bunch of them too. How harmful are they? Do they sting or does the adult? Otherwise I will leave them be as my house is protected again infestation by Orkin. :)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We used to get them in the elm trees where I lived years ago. I don't think they are harmful, just annoying. They don't bite or sting. I caught my daughter eating them when she was a toddler and she found them crawling in the house. She never got sick or anything and seemed to like them. :ugh:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    there are no box or any other elder near me, what else do they eat? I have a bunch of them too. How harmful are they? Do they sting or does the adult? Otherwise I will leave them be as my house is protected again infestation by Orkin. :)
    Around here they hang out around Silver Maples. The south side of my house will be covered with them in the fall. They will bury into the mulch on the cool fall nights and when the sun hits during the day they'll be on the house. Spray them with hot soapy water, kills them and washes the house. It's a double win. Leave them untreated, and you will find them inside your garage and house all winter. They won't damage your house other than poop on your walls. They seem to be bad this year, the fall should be a treat.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When our daughter was young, we would have called that a "squish-em-dead"

Around here they hang out around Silver Maples. The south side of my house will be covered with them in the fall. They will bury into the mulch on the cool fall nights and when the sun hits during the day they'll be on the house. Spray them with hot soapy water, kills them and washes the house. It's a double win. Leave them untreated, and you will find them inside your garage and house all winter. They won't damage your house other than poop on your walls. They seem to be bad this year, the fall should be a treat.

Yep. We had an infestation last year here. Lots of maples. Kids love to play with them, so they obviously dont bite/sting.

Just annoying as far as I can tell.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I had a billion of those things last year and they lived through the winter under my siding. Kinda funny to see them all gather and sun themselves. It's like a bug beach party. They eat the helicopter seeds.

Top Bottom