• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Has anyone had to deal with this before? And if so where can I start?

The house next door to my elderly parents has been abandoned for several years. The lady who owned it told my parents that she was "letting the bank take it back" several years ago and then she moved out of state. I called the county assessment office and was informed that the house is still in the lady's name - not the banks.

The structure is in pretty bad shape and is an eye-sore to the neighborhood and obviously not ideal for neighbor's property values. My parents are worried about the house being infested with rats, squatters, becoming a drug house, risk of fire - you name it.

As of yesterday I've started an email conversation with the assessment office asking what we can do to fix this (i.e. torn down and hauled away, controlled burn, auction for $1 so someone can reclaim, etc) but I'm really grasping at straws.

What says INGO?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Seems municipalities handle this differently... Guess it all depends on how things are set-up internally to get it done.

There was an abandoned house at the entrance to our cul-de-sac when we moved in in 2009. It was teetering on the edge of being salvaged then - and kept going over the edge. Summer of 2011 or 12 they (the city) had their contractor out to tear the house down, rip out the foundation, and back-fill. Been an empty overgrown lot since then.

I don't know how long the condemnation proceedings took. Probably too long...

However - even now, the property still remains "on the books" as the property of the estate / owners kids. Rumor has it that they've been fighting over the disposition of the property since their elderly mother had to be taken to a care facility. Her name is still the owner on record though the last tax was paid for 2010.

City contractor mows it about every 6-7-8 weeks - once the weeds get about 3' high.

My advice, OP - keep on keeping on asking about how to get condemnation proceedings taken care of. Be persistent. Attend board/council meetings and ask.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OP, we have the same issue. We own 2 property's next to each other. My daughter lives in the house next to us. The house to the north of her was abandoned 2 years ago and good riddance to the drug dealing A$$ hats that occupied it. We have had issues with bugs, varmints, squatters etc. The house is structurally sound so we have decided to buy it, fix it and my son will move into it. The bank is who we are dealing with on this. We know folks in the mortgage business and they are steering us through the process.

Ad to getting it removed.....lots of luck.
    $1 auction....hold onto your seat as that will bring in the odd balls.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Thanks to all - both serious and not. :yesway:

My dad's health has deteriorated and I'm not sure how much longer my parents will be living there. If they need to sell their house I want them to get as much $$ for it as they can. That will be difficult with this run-down place right next door.

I'd like to think that the city would want to knock it down and haul it away but I know I'm being naive. The problem won't get fixed unless I step in.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    If you live in Morgan county Call Kenny Hale at the planning commission. That is the first step, of a major long road. But do not get your hopes up too much in that county.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I am sure you have an ordinance about lawn care. The city/county should mow it and bill the owner. Try to find out who holds the mortgage. Does the property tax database list a bank as having paid it? Call utilities and inform them of abandoned home if the utilities seem turned on.

We we called a bank who came out and secured the home the next day.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Has anyone had to deal with this before? And if so where can I start?

The house next door to my elderly parents has been abandoned for several years. The lady who owned it told my parents that she was "letting the bank take it back" several years ago and then she moved out of state. I called the county assessment office and was informed that the house is still in the lady's name - not the banks.

The structure is in pretty bad shape and is an eye-sore to the neighborhood and obviously not ideal for neighbor's property values. My parents are worried about the house being infested with rats, squatters, becoming a drug house, risk of fire - you name it.

As of yesterday I've started an email conversation with the assessment office asking what we can do to fix this (i.e. torn down and hauled away, controlled burn, auction for $1 so someone can reclaim, etc) but I'm really grasping at straws.

What says INGO?

I had this same issue. Aside from the assessor, make sure you are filing complaints with the city for unmowed grass, people getting in/out of the house, etc. Eventually the city tore down the abandoned house and I was able to buy the lot for $50. Since I was the adjoining property owner, I got first crack at buying it (and paid less than someone else would).

I'm not sure what's going on with the "land bank" in indy, but they sure made the process easier for me.

Good luck!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    We encountered a similar problem. We called the bank and they ensured the grass was mowed. Even though the property is in someone's name, the bank is still the owner and they will make that known in many cases! If the bank is local, go and talk to them. If not, craft a letter to be signed by all your neighbors, asking them to take care of their property. If that doesn't work, you may have to seek legal advice.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Demolition will cost the municipality money they'd rather use for kickbacks, nepotism and skimming. An eyesore just annoys you and costs you property value at sale (not at assessment, mind you) but you're just one of the tax slaves, so your concerns don't matter. Shut up and make the check payable to the county clerk. You have to be organized and relentless in making it more expensive and annoying to them to leave it than to demolish it.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Talk to the assessors office. If they owe back property taxes you may be able to request the property be put in the next tax sale. Then you can buy it for back taxes and own the property to do with as you please. That is a very simplified version but I just purchased the building next to my business for back taxes and am expanding.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I don't know where you are located, but Indy just got a bunch of money to remove houses like this.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Westside nailed it.

Buy the house.

Call the bank and make an offer. They may accept about anything to get it off the books.

Call the assessor. See about buying it for the amount of back taxes owed. This can be a long process, but who knows....

After YOU own it, do whatever you please with the property.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If you live in Morgan county Call Kenny Hale at the planning commission. That is the first step, of a major long road. But do not get your hopes up too much in that county.

I don't know about that! When we built our car port ole Kenny told me we didn't need a permit. But they were on us like flies on **** once we were about halfway thru it without one. Of course I must have "misunderstood" and for 3x the normal permit fee they had us back on track flying straight and true.

Heckuva scam they've got working down there!:alcoholic:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't know about that! When we built our car port ole Kenny told me we didn't need a permit. But they were on us like flies on **** once we were about halfway thru it without one. Of course I must have "misunderstood" and for 3x the normal permit fee they had us back on track flying straight and true.

Heckuva scam they've got working down there!:alcoholic:

And this surprises you

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I would contact the owner on the deed and offer her $100 for it......then have an arsonist burn it down once your parents buy it. Get a bigger yard and rid of problem.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Thanks again to all for the suggestions.

You've given me some great ideas, and I've started to talk to the city. They are going to start the process of taking possession due to heavy liens against the property and we'll go from there. The city rep I spoke to had not really considered deconstruction (reclaiming recyclable material) because traditionally it's been cheaper to demolish and haul off. This property could be a case-study/proof of concept for them to see if they can save the city money by hiring out to a deconstruction company and gifting or selling the reusable old-growth timbers, etc.

ETA: My parents live 4+ hours away so I'm trying to help by coordinating remotely for now.

Top Bottom